The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Auldsod View Post
    I'd ask for a breakdown of the 2 weeks FTT but it seems to be like third secret of Fatima! :-)
    Restricted (and depends upon the programme it will always vary) but as a recruit you’ll do:
    Foot drill
    Arms drill
    Fieldcraft
    Tactics
    Steyr rifle
    Physical Fitness
    Etc

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      depends upon the programme it will always vary
      Why do you make stuff up when you do not know an answer? There is a syllabus. You must do what is on the syllabus to have completed the course. You cannot add elements that are not on the syllabus as the Air Corps found out seconds before having the ability to train recruits taken off them a few years ago

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
        Why do you make stuff up when you do not know an answer? There is a syllabus. You must do what is on the syllabus to have completed the course. You cannot add elements that are not on the syllabus as the Air Corps found out seconds before having the ability to train recruits taken off them a few years ago
        The breakdown of the 2 weeks will vary!

For example, some units may do the range practice over a weekend, some may do it in first week, some may do it second week.

This is not something I have made up. This is what happens!

I know for a fact the syllabus says 2 weeks FTT, I also know for a fact that some units were doing it as to separate weeks rather than continuous.
        Last edited by DeV; 8 March 2018, 20:43.

Comment

• Why do you make stuff up when you do not know an answer? There is a syllabus. You must do what is on the syllabus to have completed the course. You cannot add elements that are not on the syllabus as the Air Corps found out seconds before having the ability to train recruits taken off them a few years ago
          Settle down please . A second reading of the post would have figured it out.
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• So what were the numbers like for St Patrick's Day around the country? In one of my former locations, a total of 6 + colour party were on parade. Sad to see, it was the same faces as usual.

There were more personnel from the unit in New York than at home.

Comment

• What amazed me are the inconsistencies in the wearing of the peaked cap, some with white stripe , some without....

And the age profile....

The marching in New York.... please learn to fcuking march before going on public display overseas....
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• as a matter of interest.... why do our armed forces march in USA st Patricks day parade? just wondering - I mean no disrespect to those who attend, but isn't it primarily a non-military parade? other than the colour party?
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                  as a matter of interest.... why do our armed forces march in USA st Patricks day parade? just wondering - I mean no disrespect to those who attend, but isn't it primarily a non-military parade? other than the colour party?
                  AFAIK the members of the DF there are hosted by “The Fighting 69th” (NY National Guard) - who lead it Btw - they pay their own expenses

Comment

• A former Mayor of New York was on an engagement in Ireland. The then 58 Res Inf Bn provided a GOH. Said Mayor extended an invite to the unit to parade in New York. They have been attending since - at their own expense. That's the gist of the history of it, as I understand it
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                      A former Mayor of New York was on an engagement in Ireland. The then 58 Res Inf Bn provided a GOH. Said Mayor extended an invite to the unit to parade in New York. They have been attending since - at their own expense. That's the gist of the history of it, as I understand it
                      It's always annoyed me that they have to pay themselves to go. Of course I'm sure there are many in the ceremonial section that would prefer they not go at all.
                      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• It's always annoyed me that they have to pay themselves to go. Of course I'm sure there are many in the ceremonial section that would prefer they not go at all.
                        Who should fund them ?

Comment

• I could think of FAR FAR better uses of public funds than for what ultimately becomes a drinking trip.

Gardai who travel pay their own way also.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            Who should fund them ?
                            I think it should be treated as an important event by the military. And a greater expectation of excellence should be placed on those attending. If a home run COFD and turnout competition were to be held and the winning team were awarded with representing the state at one of the worlds largest parades celebrating being Irish.

Funded by the military.
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                              I think it should be treated as an important event by the military. And a greater expectation of excellence should be placed on those attending. If a home run COFD and turnout competition were to be held and the winning team were awarded with representing the state at one of the worlds largest parades celebrating being Irish.

Funded by the military.
                              And thus ended the tradition of the reserve defence forces sending personnel overseas to march in the NY parade on St Patricks Day
                              I'd rather that the DF spend that money on something more important back here.
                              I would disagree and say let them pay for themselves, but agree also and say that their parent unit at least ensure that they can march and drill to perfection!
                              Also I feel like in this thread, we are begrudging our comrades just a bit unfairly.
                              Last edited by morpheus; 22 March 2018, 09:08.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I think it should be treated as an important event by the military. And a greater expectation of excellence should be placed on those attending
                                Why St Patricks Day ? Why not CISM ? Better outcomes

Comment

Working...
                                X