The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanted to show what regular support for reservists looked like

I follow dogfacesoldier on twitter ( Gen Abrams ) who is FORSCOM ( and is a model for senior officer engagement on social media ) Mississippe 155th Armoured Bde is deploying to CENTCOM

take a look at the video

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• [QUOTE=hptmurphy;459888]

There were people promoted specifically to fill appointments in CIS and a member here, now a captain, was poached from BTC to CIS , specifically for his skillset.

It does happen , just goes unnoticed outside most units.
      But not direct entry

Comment

• Anyone else notice the massive increase in the latest RDF recruitment drive's social media presence? I can't remember it ever being so intense in previous years.

I'm starting to get my hopes up that recruitment is being taken more seriously this time around!

Comment

• Experiment to see if it makes a difference

Comment

• Comment

• Seems to be far more interest from what I've seen.

I've also noted that the communication being sent out sends planned (but changeable) dates for training which would be incredibly useful for prospective recruits.

Seem wildly optimistic considering the delays with Garda vetting however!

Comment

It costs me money to be in the Reserve, too. I generally do not come out better than neutral since the Grat was abolished and pay was cut. For those of us in billable employments, if you counted DF hours during the working day over the year your employer would be wanting a stiff word.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post

It costs me money to be in the Reserve, too. I generally do not come out better than neutral since the Grat was abolished and pay was cut. For those of us in billable employments, if you counted DF hours during the working day over the year your employer would be wanting a stiff word.
                  Given I'm now 51, my role in the RDF would be severely limited as I never really saw use in units for sergeants of above a certain age. It wasn't about the money in the early years as again I was loosing out on annual leave and my kids were small, but by the time the cut in grat and taxation issues came about I had come to the realisation that if I were to give my time I should at least break even.

It was a different time and looking back at it the DF was certainly getting VFM from me and the unit I served with, but I felt I got it back in spades as the field days the weekends and the parade nights were a very important part of my life in that time, not because I was defending the country or anything as contived as that... it was a diversion , a hobby ...something out of the ordinary and I enjoyed it !
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• For me, I loved the RDF in years gone by. Was single, no kids and could put in a lot of time. Would have done it for free. Was involved in shooting, orienteering, courses etc. etc. Even going up through the ranks, it was always good - you always felt like you were contributing, achieving, progressing. Put in the effort and you would achieve the results.

The last few years have been the opposite. I feel like I am killing myself just to slow the rot. I come home bitter and angry from training, usually because everything is a battle that is going to be lost. Many a time I look at the people in the Mess and come to the conclusion that they had it sussed all the time - party while you can because it is all going to end soon and there is nothing we can do about it so make the most of it. Party because there is no point being bitter and angry because you're never going to achieve anything anyway. The guys who fought against fitness and standards, they had it right all the time. Nothing you do is going to change it falling apart around you so just sit back, relax and get wasted.

Or in my case, spend it at home with my children.

Comment

• The last few years have been the opposite. I feel like I am killing myself just to slow the rot. I come home bitter and angry from training, usually because everything is a battle that is going to be lost. Many a time I look at the people in the Mess and come to the conclusion that they had it sussed all the time - party while you can because it is all going to end soon and there is nothing we can do about it so make the most of it. Party because there is no point being bitter and angry because you're never going to achieve anything anyway. The guys who fought against fitness and standards, they had it right all the time. Nothing you do is going to change it falling apart around you so just sit back, relax and get wasted.

Or in my case, spend it at home with my children.
                      That is truth anyway !

My experience at the moment is quite different and extremely positive.

Comment

• My unit is stagnant at the minute. Due to lack of numbers and stp taking up the first quater of the year

Comment

• stp = makey-uppey work imho. Great if you have the bods to spare and they are up for it ( been a long while since both those things were true ) , otherwise send 4 to the Bde shoot (otherwise boss gets a PE) , do NOT win ( oh look we didn't win, shame that really) , come back we've got solid realistic training so we can get to the stage we can give the PDF a dig out.
                          Last edited by trellheim; 2 July 2018, 15:01.

Comment

That is truth anyway !

My experience at the moment is quite different and extremely positive.
                            There were always periods of peaks and troughs for me depending who was in charge and what their agenda was ...at a local level ie..Brigade level.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Interested at the moment in sub-unit recruiting reports - how is the current tranche looking at getting through to interview ?

Comment

Interested at the moment in sub-unit recruiting reports - how is the current tranche looking at getting through to interview ?
                                Numbers looking good?

Comment

Working...
                                X