Thanks Thanks:  905
Likes Likes:  2,951
Dislikes Dislikes:  112
Page 255 of 255 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255
Results 6,351 to 6,357 of 6357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not forgetting another Capt-Comdt competition is on the way

Post Thanks / Like
    I really can't work out why the NSR actually need three promotions to SCPO, given the actual numbers parading across the entire NSR would hardly support 1 SCPO

I get the feeling that this is true across the entire Reserve and that vacancies are being filled for no other reason other than they exist....... without the troops to support the command structure
    Just visiting

3. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Likes The real Jack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I really can't work out why the NSR actually need three promotions to SCPO, given the actual numbers parading across the entire NSR would hardly support 1 SCPO

I get the feeling that this is true across the entire Reserve and that vacancies are being filled for no other reason other than they exist....... without the troops to support the command structure
    It is a very good point but the vacancy (like all others) possibly means there is someone doing the job already without the recognition or reward (such as it is). It adds motivation and retention, imagine the number of every rank across the AR & NSR who left due to not being promoted being a factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    It is a very good point but the vacancy (like all others) possibly means there is someone doing the job already without the recognition or reward (such as it is). It adds motivation and retention, imagine the number of every rank across the AR & NSR who left due to not being promoted being a factor.
    But the vacancy exists ... the appointment was created based on a requirement around the numbers of troops... if you haven't got your full establishment you don't need to fill the vacancies ergo you don't need the position..so why are we filling vacancies that only exist on paper?

Promotion for promotions sake is wrong and undermines rank.
    Just visiting

6. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Likes apod liked this post
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both arguments are valid. BUT consider this

filling vacancies creates space below . People forget ( or maybe haven't) how atrophied the promotion system has been since the Great Cull of 2012 . It has taken 6 years with no promotion ( to all intents and purposes ) except for the highest ranks where people are aging out rapidly as we just plain cannot get the Department to exceed Establishment

this is a massive hole in the ship which is just plain not been talked about - and I think the debate needs to be there, and not a condescending 'it is what it is'
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

8. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Both arguments are valid. BUT consider this

filling vacancies creates space below . People forget ( or maybe haven't) how atrophied the promotion system has been since the Great Cull of 2012 . It has taken 6 years with no promotion ( to all intents and purposes ) except for the highest ranks where people are aging out rapidly as we just plain cannot get the Department to exceed Establishment

this is a massive hole in the ship which is just plain not been talked about - and I think the debate needs to be there, and not a condescending 'it is what it is'
    I speak in general as I don't know what the situation is with strengths and establishments etc, from my old unit there is all but about five people still standing, maybe the structure with the unit that swallowed 31 cav allow for their ranks within its reserve structure but if the OC commanding a Cavalry Squadron is listed as a Commandant, how now do you justify having two in the one unit... 1 PDF and 1 AR or is that appointment a brigade a appointment being filled by an AR Cavalry officer.

I'd be interested in seeing a break down of ranks in the reserve and then see what units have what !

there is no point in a guy holding a company commanders rank and appointment when his actual strength is no greater than a platoon!
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    I speak in general as I don't know what the situation is with strengths and establishments etc, from my old unit there is all but about five people still standing, maybe the structure with the unit that swallowed 31 cav allow for their ranks within its reserve structure but if the OC commanding a Cavalry Squadron is listed as a Commandant, how now do you justify having two in the one unit... 1 PDF and 1 AR or is that appointment a brigade a appointment being filled by an AR Cavalry officer.
    Say again over

Almost all the original 31 Red Cav Sqn are still serving??

I’m not 100% sure about that establishment (which is restricted) but if there 2 commandants appointments in a unit (the PDF one is the OC and the RDF one is a staff officer (not OC RDF or anything like that)). He could be SWA, filling an appointment in a different unit or filling a more junior appointment.

I'd be interested in seeing a break down of ranks in the reserve and then see what units have what !

there is no point in a guy holding a company commanders rank and appointment when his actual strength is no greater than a platoon!
    Well it’s restricted but wasn’t that the case with every reorg RDF unit

Thread Information