The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ODIN View Post
    I remember a point in time when FCA/RDF officers didn't have Sam Browne belts and couldn't carry swords, that has changed. I get the impression that somebody in the DF has opened the door on the peaker issue for Reserve Officers, and it is going to be difficult to fully close it now, considering the "Cultaca" flash is worn on the number 1 uniform and the fact that RDF OR's wear the same peaker as PDF counterparts, and all "raccoon" officers all wear the same head dress, there seems to be precedent set for somebody who wanted to make an argument about the issue to do so.

As APOD said, the regs are the regs, and I too have seen RDF officers on social media, and in publications still wearing the Peak Cap in breach of them, this is not right and unit Commanding officers need to be very clear on this with said officers.

I would rather see questions in the Dail on personal issue of health and safety related equipment to reservists though, the stuff we need to do the jobs that are asked of us. I am aware that hearing protection is still on pool issue, which I find amazing considering the cost of a set of peltors. Wet gear too is something that should be issued out to each person. I'd also like to see a point in time where a locker in Barracks is offered to RDF personnel so this kit can be issued to each person, but still kept in barracks where it can be inspected.
    It's a SFC when it suits

Eg DFRs say kit must be stored in lockers, no lockers

Comment

I would rather see questions in the Dail on personal issue of health and safety related equipment to reservists though, the stuff we need to do the jobs that are asked of us. I am aware that hearing protection is still on pool issue, which I find amazing considering the cost of a set of peltors. Wet gear too is something that should be issued out to each person. I'd also like to see a point in time where a locker in Barracks is offered to RDF personnel so this kit can be issued to each person, but still kept in barracks where it can be inspected.
      +1

The peltors issue alone would have heads rolling in any workplace and they cost the square root of **** all. The fact that the peltors are still being pooled so many years after the health and safety acts were brought in is appalling, seeing the DF move so swiftly on a minor issue like Peakers while not resolving the H&S issues is mind-boggling. While these H&S issues aren't life threatening it shows how the DF hasn't adjusted to the legal environment that they exist in and the "go to jail" nature of H&S legislation. Eye pro is another issue that the DF only pretends to care about, goggles that fog up and are permanently attached to a helmet are not PPE. I bet many of the issue goggles would fail under testing as the lenses have a service life, date of issue is nowhere on them and there's no way of knowing how much sunlight they've been exposed to which will degrade their functionality. It'll take someone to get blinded on the range or doing tactics for the penny to drop.

And storing kit in lockers, I wouldn't store anything in a locker in our nearby manned barracks, they'd be broken into very quickly. I'd forgo a week or 2s camp pay as a deposit for kit and keep it at home -> that's the kind of problem solving ideas that don't exist in the DF.
      Last edited by The real Jack; 24 March 2017, 10:45.
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

I also work in a government job. At one point, there was an outside chance I would be working in a noisy environment. On the preparatory H&S course, all attendees got Double hearing protection (still in its packaging) and safety glasses, to keep. On another occasion there was a chance I would need to visit a farmyard. I was given wellies with toe protection. (I still have them in my car).
        When there was a builder using a drill in the office, a box of ear plugs was provided for all. 6 years later, the box is still there, and ir replenished as needed.
        Why does the DF do things so differently?
        It makes no sense whatsoever after the whole Army Deafness saga, and the awareness of H&S, that basic items of PPE are still held in stores with the same importance as ammo and keys.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
          +1

The peltors issue alone would have heads rolling in any workplace and they cost the square root of **** all. The fact that the peltors are still being pooled so many years after the health and safety acts were brought in is appalling, seeing the DF move so swiftly on a minor issue like Peakers while not resolving the H&S issues is mind-boggling. While these H&S issues aren't life threatening it shows how the DF hasn't adjusted to the legal environment that they exist in and the "go to jail" nature of H&S legislation. Eye pro is another issue that the DF only pretends to care about, goggles that fog up and are permanently attached to a helmet are not PPE. I bet many of the issue goggles would fail under testing as the lenses have a service life, date of issue is nowhere on them and there's no way of knowing how much sunlight they've been exposed to which will degrade their functionality. It'll take someone to get blinded on the range or doing tactics for the penny to drop.
          Most Polycarbonate lenses go brittle after 5 years of UV exposure. Careful with that talk or you'll have to start signing out eyewear as well.
          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• In other news, DCOS(Sp) will shortly be conducting a review of the SFC

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              In other news, DCOS(Sp) will shortly be conducting a review of the SFC
              New headwear for everyone for the final parade!
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• In other news, DCOS(Sp) will shortly be conducting a review of the SFC
                What is your source for this. Motive -> Cadre reduction ? or single CS4 ?
                Last edited by trellheim; 24 March 2017, 13:56.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  What is your source for this. Motive -> Cadre reduction ? or single CS4 ?
                  Motive is to see if SFC has/is worked (it's definitely happening)

There's only 32 cadre
                  Last edited by DeV; 24 March 2017, 21:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                    +1

And storing kit in lockers, I wouldn't store anything in a locker in our nearby manned barracks, they'd be broken into very quickly. I'd forgo a week or 2s camp pay as a deposit for kit and keep it at home -> that's the kind of problem solving ideas that don't exist in the DF.
                    I've never even seen a pair of goggles in person.
                    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                    He put a bullet through his brain.
                    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      Motive is to see if SFC has/is worked (it's definitely happening)
                      Yep. Have seen this too. Happening shortly
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Theres nothing like an unbiased review:

"Sir! How's your plan going"?

"Excellently! I really did a stellar job putting this together"

"Yes! Sir, what KPIs are left for you to tick off as done now"?
                        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
                          Theres nothing like an unbiased review:

"Sir! How's your plan going"?

"Excellently! I really did a stellar job putting this together"

"Yes! Sir, what KPIs are left for you to tick off as done now"?

No it isn't a box ticking exercise

Comment

• Honest Opinions lads what do you think the findings will be

Comment

• Wait out

Comment

• Has there been any consensus or update in relation to wearing the CĂșltaca badge on DPM shirt, in terms of positioning, etc.

I have seen all sorts to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X