No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that promotion up to Captain should be near automatic like in the PDF assuming basic performance and course requirements are met but just getting your third pip because you're still on the unit books is ridiculous
    There is a reason that paragraph is in the regulations and much of it is down to a complete lack of planned career progression for RDF officers.

In relation to TD's point the lack of corporate knowledge does not tend to pose a massive problem. The unwillingness to learn is what really stands out among some people , both their own job and how the Army system - and it is a system - actually works

This is evident when people say "They won't let me do X" usually means you didn't bother your hole booking people and logistics and had the boss OK it in plenty of time.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      Are AR/NSR officers still commissioned as 2/LTs when promoted from the ranks and if they have a relevant degree are they commissioned direct to Lieutenant/ S/Lt as per the PDF ?

I'll explain my logic if someone can clarify this for me please?
      All RDF officers are commissioned as 2/Lt’s (including the direct entry psychiatrist earlier this year)

However RDF 2/Lt’s are paid the same as RDF Lt’s in recognition of time served.

If I was amending R5 I would commission all into the RDF as Lt’s.
      Last edited by DeV; 5 September 2018, 16:56.

Comment

• By comparison,

Former PDF ORs completing a cadetship are commissioned as 2/Lt’s
        Graduate cadets are commissioned as Lt’s

Afaik
        PDF CFRs are commissioned as Lt’s if a JNCO
        PDF CFRs are commissioned as Capt’s if a SNCO

Comment

• We need new 2Lts like we need a hole in the head. What we need is attitudes to change rapidly or it is over and all the 2Lts in the world won't fix anything. And coming up with "good ideas" that solve nothing is just going to drag things out - fundamental change now or just send us home and stop wasting out time.

This 2Lts idea is just going to end up one way - 2 more years of wasted time.

And I am being negative because that is the reality and I refuse to stick my head in the sand any longer and wish it away with "Good Ideas".

Either Lead, Follow or get out of the way...and this latest "Good Idea" is just more of getting in the way of the real problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
            We need new 2Lts like we need a hole in the head. What we need is attitudes to change rapidly or it is over and all the 2Lts in the world won't fix anything. And coming up with "good ideas" that solve nothing is just going to drag things out - fundamental change now or just send us home and stop wasting out time.

This 2Lts idea is just going to end up one way - 2 more years of wasted time.

And I am being negative because that is the reality and I refuse to stick my head in the sand any longer and wish it away with "Good Ideas".

Either Lead, Follow or get out of the way...and this latest "Good Idea" is just more of getting in the way of the real problem.
            Those radical changes being?

Comment

• You are sticking your head in the sand if you think we don't need officers. Do the maths. Or maybe you want a reserve of private soldiers, leave it to the PDF to fill the NCO and Officers

Comment

• And I am being negative because that is the reality and I refuse to stick my head in the sand any longer and wish it away with "Good Ideas".

You mention the famous lead or follow there. How do you think your negativity helps here ? Sure, its an Internet board and you can say what you like.

Getting in the way of what real problem ?

Army can't fix pay - that's the DOD
                Army can't fix regulations which includes - for example - number of Company Sergeants in one place or another or the total number of RDF . - thats the DOD
                Army can't fix roles of the RDF - thats the DOD

Recruiting will take years to fix even if you recruit full ON which is happening right now. Those recruits need leaders, we dont have them and we need to produce them so we need to get started on that. We can do that in the RDF/PDF and we are getting started with it.

PNCO 2nd round of the new course should be getting going soon so the engines are starting to fire. If you are not having a good experience then theres probably a unit you could do better in.
                Last edited by trellheim; 5 September 2018, 17:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  All RDF officers are commissioned as 2/Lt’s (including the direct entry psychiatrist earlier this year)

However RDF 2/Lt’s are paid the same as RDF Lt’s in recognition of time served.

If I was amending R5 I would commission all into the RDF as Lt’s.
                  I would indeed agree with you ...if the criteria includes the holding of a degree, that degree should hold the same weight as it does in the PDF where the holder is commissioned a rank above a non degree holder. The RDF officer is working against a stacked deck from the time of entry.

The promotion qualification from that ranks should then be the same as the PDF equivalent, in that X amount of service and succesful carreer courses should guarantee a third pip within an acceptable period of time.

The RDF needs its officers to ensure that the balance is maintained and it has a ratio of officers to enlisted that is realistic to the roles required.

But and a big but being the actual role of the AR / NSR has to be defined clearly rather than buried as' support to the PDF counterpar't in that it becomes clear what the career paths are for the reservist, ultimately he must become deployable and be prepared to do so.

And for that you need suitable people across the board as leaders and managers who have equality in terms and conditions of employment as their PDF counterparts.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• nobody wants to join the RDF anymore - most people dont even know it still exists. im disillusioned now because this has come around and im too old to apply - but then I ask myself - why promote anyone? theres literally f#*k all privates left to train, there are tiny recruitment classes and even then it take so long to actually get around to getting them in uniform that most will never complete training and will leave before completing 3 star - ive recently heard stories like
                    600 applied
                    200 interviewed
                    150 were to do fitness test
                    60 turned up
                    40 passed
                    how many intend to pop smoke?
                    how many intend to go PDF?
                    how many will be left by the time training starts?

W H A T S

T H E

P O I N T ? ? ? ?
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• You have to promote people so that you have the structure in place to train and administer the RDF. As I said earlier there are multiple problems in the reserve that need to be fixed. All need to be tackled. You need to recruit to replenish the natural wastage, you need to promote corporals so that there are NCOs to train the troops. You need to promote Sgts, SNCOs and Officers to provide the administrative and operational structure to support the recruitment and training. Otherwise you might as well shut up shop.

Comment

• nobody wants to join the RDF anymore - most people dont even know it still exists. im disillusioned now because this has come around and im too old to apply - but then I ask myself - why promote anyone? theres literally f#*k all privates left to train, there are tiny recruitment classes and even then it take so long to actually get around to getting them in uniform that most will never complete training and will leave before completing 3 star - ive recently heard stories like
                        600 applied
                        200 interviewed
                        60 turned up
                        40 passed

W H A T S

T H E

P O I N T ? ? ? ?

Depends on your point of view I guess.

Are you too old ? If you have a qualification the Army are happy with you can be mid 40's.

As for what the purpose is as people drop off, its been that funnel all my RDF time. I can't stop people going PDF and I can't force them to the fitness test; so what.

As for doing good work seek out places there is ALWAYS work to be done

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post

Are you too old ? If you have a qualification the Army are happy with you can be mid 40's.

As for what the purpose is as people drop off, its been that funnel all my RDF time. I can't stop people going PDF and I can't force them to the fitness test; so what.

I left in 2009 for a myriad of reasons some about the organisation, some with my own circumstances. 9 years later my own circumstances have leveled out ...I again have time on my hands and would welcome an opportunity go back and take part.....but I'm too old.

But I reckon thats what needs to be targeted , persons who have come out the end of education , are on a career path and are looking for something different to do with their down time.

But theres a lot of ground work getting out to meet these people to get them in, I always found that word of mouth was always the greatest recruitment tool. There is an untapped pool of talent out there that has yet to be properly targeted.

The Old FCA image will have all but disappeared in a few years and maybe thats the time to relaunch the whole thing
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                            nobody wants to join the RDF anymore - most people dont even know it still exists. im disillusioned now because this has come around and im too old to apply - but then I ask myself - why promote anyone? theres literally f#*k all privates left to train, there are tiny recruitment classes and even then it take so long to actually get around to getting them in uniform that most will never complete training and will leave before completing 3 star - ive recently heard stories like
                            600 applied
                            200 interviewed
                            60 turned up
                            40 passed

W H A T S

T H E

P O I N T ? ? ? ?
                            Have you disproved your own point?

People are looking to join

Many are not getting through the process

Some really have no interest, some aren’t medically fit, some aren’t physically fit, some we don’t want

The important things are make the process quick, efficient, cost effective and user friendly.

One example, Dublin Unit NSR recruits have to do their medical in Haulbowline while there is a MAP a 5 minute walk away

That is equally for PDF and RDF

Originally posted by trellheim View Post

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            I left in 2009 for a myriad of reasons some about the organisation, some with my own circumstances. 9 years later my own circumstances have leveled out ...I again have time on my hands and would welcome an opportunity go back and take part.....but I'm too old.

But I reckon thats what needs to be targeted , persons who have come out the end of education , are on a career path and are looking for something different to do with their down time.

But theres a lot of ground work getting out to meet these people to get them in, I always found that word of mouth was always the greatest recruitment tool. There is an untapped pool of talent out there that has yet to be properly targeted.

The Old FCA image will have all but disappeared in a few years and maybe thats the time to relaunch the whole thing
                            IMHO military.ie doesn’t tell you actually what the RDF is or what we do - some people therefore don’t actually know what they are applying to join

Upper Age limits:
                            General service army & AC - 25
                            General service NS - 27
                            Cadets - 27

RDF - 35

Who should we be targeting?

Comment

• There are as many officers General List as there are in appointment, a result of the Re-Org/Single Force Concept. Many of these officers when posted into appointments when they become available are then found to be ineffective.
                              The AR officer corps is currently over strength on paper as far as I am aware. An effort must be made by unit commanders and respective GOC's to identify those in appointment and the General List who are in fact ineffective, inform them so and give notice that they may have their commission relinquished.
                              Consolidate all appointments and the Gen List, (the AR will probably still have an excess of officers) and through mandatory relinquishment of commissions on age grounds and through request then the gaps can be filled by subsequent POC's. Then you'll have the young, effective RDF officer corps your man in the article was going on about. This will all take time though, so there really isn't a need for a POC in the time frame mentioned.

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                                theres literally f#*k all privates left to train, there are tiny recruitment classes and even then it take so long to actually get around to getting them in uniform that most will never complete training and will leave before completing 3 star
                                BINGO

There are 26 Lts in the RDF, that is 26 Platoons, or following a company structure, 6 1/2 Companies = roughly 600 Privates, 225 NCOs. Is there even that many people to train anymore?. You want to recruit officers in order to put them in charge of platoons and troops that don't even exist....and you think that that is a good thing? You think that they will stay when longer serving, more experienced officer haven't? And you are taking these officers out of the very limited reserve of privates that is there?

I have to question who is not facing reality?

These con job "Good Ideas" are exactly that - con jobs, designed to massage figures, make things look good and get in the way of the real problems.

And so far I have tried to keep away from the personal insults. Again, I ask for the equivalent on your part.
                                Last edited by Poiuyt; 10 September 2018, 15:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X