The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
    I think it should be treated as an important event by the military. And a greater expectation of excellence should be placed on those attending. If a home run COFD and turnout competition were to be held and the winning team were awarded with representing the state at one of the worlds largest parades celebrating being Irish.

Funded by the military.
    I Disagree as it then becomes another 'Shooting Camp Scenario' Fiasco.

Let them travel as their own expense as its really a weeks holiday with one ceremonial event thrown in, but prior to heading off get the groups together and drill them for a day!

Also I feel like in this thread, we are begrudging our comrades just a bit unfairly.
    Not at all but if you are in public in the uniform of the state , at least be able to get from A to B in a uniform and service person like fashion... ie the basics...Marching!

Why not CISM

CISM is dangerous to say the least. The last time the cycling event was held in Clonmel , half of Carrick Wheelers ( Shit Hot local cycling team) were signed up and dressed accordingly for the event and never set foot in Barracks again after filling the podium ....borderline cheating!...Irish Cavalry Reservists turn out to be world class cyclists but couldn't march or shoot!!!
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• The Lourdes pilgrimage is self funded and compulsory for cadets to the best of my knowledge.
      Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayern Fan View Post
        The Lourdes pilgrimage is self funded and compulsory for cadets to the best of my knowledge.
        Self funded - Yes.

Compulsory - No.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayern Fan View Post
          The Lourdes pilgrimage is self funded and compulsory for cadets to the best of my knowledge.
          I do not know about now but it certainly used to be self funded and AL taken for it.

You didnt have to go if you didnt want to but the alternative was a week of 15 hours a day doing fatigue details

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantasia View Post
            I do not know about now but it certainly used to be self funded and AL taken for it.

You didnt have to go if you didnt want to but the alternative was a week of 15 hours a day doing fatigue details
            yeah, Lourdes wouldn't be my gig!.....
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck View Post
              Self funded - Yes.

Compulsory - No.
              not compulsory but is mandatory

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                yeah, Lourdes wouldn't be my gig!.....
                Nor mine but given the alternative, I went to Lourdes

Comment

• My understanding was that the trip wasn't compulsory but 'strongly encouraged'.

Comment

• Has the RDF element of the Easter parade at the GPO been wadied altogether after the incident that I won't go into a few years back?

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
                      Has the RDF element of the Easter parade at the GPO been wadied altogether after the incident that I won't go into a few years back?
                      Is there even enough RDF to do it any more? What was a Bn tasking had become a Bde tasking and was heading towards having to pull RDF from all over the country just to make up numbers (not saying anything bad about the Dubs, more a RDF wide problem).
                      Didn't someone (Trellheim?) do a graph a few years ago of RDF numbers which showed the RDF disappearing in 2016. I think it has levelled slightly in the last 3 years but still on the downward trajectory.

Comment

• I think bods from our location were at it but not 100% sure
                        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                        He put a bullet through his brain.
                        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                          Is there even enough RDF to do it any more? What was a Bn tasking had become a Bde tasking and was heading towards having to pull RDF from all over the country just to make up numbers (not saying anything bad about the Dubs, more a RDF wide problem).
                          Didn't someone (Trellheim?) do a graph a few years ago of RDF numbers which showed the RDF disappearing in 2016. I think it has levelled slightly in the last 3 years but still on the downward trajectory.
                          Wasn’t it a tri-service GoH ?

Comment

• It was but it used to be an RDF one. I saw one section of RDF on the parade in the DF flickr feed in a background capacity.

Maybe it is down to numbers which would make sense, at least the PDF can be detailed for it. My brother was caught for it.

RDFRA were putting up photos of some of the executive being at the parade. In civvies....

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
                              It was but it used to be an RDF one. I saw one section of RDF on the parade in the DF flickr feed in a background capacity.

Maybe it is down to numbers which would make sense, at least the PDF can be detailed for it. My brother was caught for it.

RDFRA were putting up photos of some of the executive being at the parade. In civvies....
                              It was and what does that say about PDF numbers (although they started pre financial crash AFAIK)

I think there was an RDF one last year.

Why I would ask does there need to be a representative body from each service when the GoH is tri-service?

RDFRA were there as RDFRA so therefore in civvies.

Comment

• Saw NSR pers on the tv.

Comment

Working...
                                X