The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
    I wouldn't agree that it is a small handful. I personally know 17 out of the 43 as being regular paraders. A lot of the names on the list are those Lts that you see doing the grunt work at every event over the past 15 years (Exercises, ranges, shooting competitions). By grunt work I don't mean swanning around drinking tea, we are talking about doing security, managing ranges, doing the administration, all that mundane boring shite that makes an event a success. The only disgrace here is that it has taken so long for this to happen, a lot of good/active Lts have thrown in the towel because of this delay.
    Of course you wouldn't that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.You an RDFRA rep??
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      15 years for promotion to Captain?!!!!!!!!!!
      It’s complicated

The Regulation has 2 basic provisions:
      - basically competition can be run and people can promoted to fill vacancies (criteria include min 5 years commissioned service (if I’m reading it correctly))
      - people can “automatically” be promoted after 15 years commissioned service

However, due to Regulations not being updated there doesn’t appear to any provision for promoting people who have been commissioned since 1 Oct 2005
      Last edited by DeV; 15 February 2018, 13:31.

Comment

• I am one of the 43 as most of you know. I have YO's and Std Offr done.

The last competitive competition for Lt's was in 2012 , I competed for it, and it got cancelled in the reorg. There was nothing that could be done about this
        There are almost no captains bar these 43 in the force. Be that as it may, Apod has a point. There is nothing I would have liked better than to compete for posts

Do we ( or any of the 43 ) get a chance ? No. There is/was no competition nor has there been since 2012 . There is currently a competition for Comdts ( again , thats the 3rd in recent times ) .

Again, for context, some of those promoted have been commissioned since 1998 so 20 years to reach captain . THe majority there would have been happy to compete, and as B20 says we've lost a hell of a lot of good people through throwing in the towel.
        Last edited by trellheim; 15 February 2018, 15:30.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
          Of course you wouldn't that would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.You an RDFRA rep??
          Not for the last 6 years.

It is extremely disingenuous of you to categorise all or even the vast majority of those who got the promoted as ghosts or waste of space based on the very small few that you deal with. As I stated before there are at least 17 on that list that are very active officers, who are effective, can lead troops (have been doing so for the last 20 years) and are current on the latest doctrine.

Comment

• Went to the range two weeks ago, with 3 captains, 2 lts, 3 sgts, 1 cpl and 1 private (me). Last year there would have been 3 cpls, but I think that after just breaking 12 years since their stds courses, they have just given up, after not being promoted.
            Being the only private is not much fun either. Soon it wont matter whos promoted, as there will be noone to give orders to..

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
              Not for the last 6 years.

It is extremely disingenuous of you to categorise all or even the vast majority of those who got the promoted as ghosts or waste of space based on the very small few that you deal with. As I stated before there are at least 17 on that list that are very active officers, who are effective, can lead troops (have been doing so for the last 20 years) and are current on the latest doctrine.
              I stand by my comments.If you can quote where i said ALL who got promoted are wasters I will defer to your opinion.
              Thing is,I didn't.And I even went further and acknowledged that there is a Minority who are deserving.Trell being a prime example.

Also my opinion isn't being solely coloured by my own dealings with people but also from talking to reserve Officers who have the inside track on this debacle.

So.Defend it all you want. Promoting people solely on time served(especially when they don't show up half the time) when there are younger,fitter,more competent and dedicated people who would wipe the floor with them if ye used a proper merit based system is a disgrace.
              And as i said before those people will soon quit and ye will be left with your ghost captains whose only qualification for promotion was being on the nominal roll!
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Promoting people solely on time served(especially when they don't show up half the time) when there are younger,fitter,more competent and dedicated people who would wipe the floor with them if ye used a proper merit based system is a disgrace.
                And as i said before those people will soon quit and ye will be left with your ghost captains whose only qualification for promotion was being on the nominal roll!
                Are you talking about PDF or reserve. Can't tell the difference.

Comment

• Promoting people solely on time served(especially when they don't show up half the time) when there are younger,fitter,more competent and dedicated people who would wipe the floor with them if ye used a proper merit based system is a disgrace.
                  I have to stop you there. The regulations do indeed provide for a merit based system for Capt, Comdt, Lt Col - agreed.

Competitions, Boards and the likes, to make that merit based system work, cannot be formed until J1 in DFHQ direct the formations to do so.

J1 is entirely PDF - there are no RDF people in that part of DFHQ - we get no say in these things - I think it is one of the larger gaps for us.

Much as I'd love to put these competitions on - any time in the last 6 years would have been nice - its not in our gift.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                    I am one of the 43 as most of you know.
                    Congratulations

Edited to add: This is not intended as sarcasm or patronising, but as a "well done" and to show respect to Trellheim for having the tenacity and commitment to achieve promotion to Captain, especially under the conditions described.

Sorry if anybody interpreted it otherwise, especially Trellheim.
                    Last edited by Flamingo; 17 February 2018, 13:52.
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                      I have to stop you there. The regulations do indeed provide for a merit based system for Capt, Comdt, Lt Col - agreed.

Competitions, Boards and the likes, to make that merit based system work, cannot be formed until J1 in DFHQ direct the formations to do so.

J1 is entirely PDF - there are no RDF people in that part of DFHQ - we get no say in these things - I think it is one of the larger gaps for us.

Much as I'd love to put these competitions on - any time in the last 6 years would have been nice - its not in our gift.
                      You didn't say no to the third pip though did ya.Nor did RDFRA fight hard for a merit based system to be put in place.No.Too many auld sweat Lt's would have lost out so the status quo was maintained.At least until they all got promoted.NOW they will probably start looking for changes for the next round.
                      Problem is who will be left to make captain next time ??

Comment

• NO of course I didn't

Comment

• Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                          Congratulations
                          Disliked in error

Comment

You didn't say no to the third pip though did ya.Nor did RDFRA fight hard for a merit based system to be put in place.No.Too many auld sweat Lt's would have lost out so the status quo was maintained.At least until they all got promoted.NOW they will probably start looking for changes for the next round.
                            Problem is who will be left to make captain next time ??
                            Looking for changes to R5 since the last reorg

Comment

• PDF officers are promoted to Capt on a FPP basis following a period of approximately 5-6 years and this is usually on a A/Capt basis for a period. This is dependent on their method of entry, the completion of a YO's cse, the requisite number of satisfactory 451's etc....
                              These individuals who serve on a full time basis do not have the opportunity to compete for promotion from Lt to Capt in promotion competitions as it doesn't exist for them.
                              Where as RDF officers as we know have FPP from Lt-Capt following 15 years service. This period seems fair considering the service commitment given by RDF personnel in general. Now I don't see many RDF officers parading/trainining every 2.5 days of the year.
                              If they stick to the current model, all Capt vacancies in the RDF should be filled by the next FPP tranche.
                              I'd say there would have been more Lt's promoted this time if they kept on top of their 451's, met their training requirements etc....
                              Anyway the only way there will be any real push for change is when the Gen Sec of RDFRA becomes eligible to be promoted via a promotion competition.

Comment

• Gen Sec of RDFRA becomes eligible to be promoted via a promotion competition.
                                oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooo

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X