The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    in fairness to that particular thing its very much a joint effort at the mo but its really exciting to see.

Moving onto other units 6 Bn just did a PDF and RdF mortar shoot ( I follow the OC's twitter and he called it out as an SFC ) so I seem to see a lot of people diving in and working.
    81 or 60 ?

RDF shouldn't be doing the 81 IMHO

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      81 or 60 ?

Pretty sure it was a 60mm shoot. I know a couple of 6Bn RDF heads who were doing mortar training on their FTT, so presumably this shoot was the culmination of that training
      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Why ever not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          Why ever not?
          No establishment for RDF personnel in 81 plns

Comment

• 81mm is a Sp Coy weapon is it not? As Dev says, no establishment for RDF in Sp Coy
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• RDF fired 60s

Comment

No establishment for RDF personnel in 81 plns
                We trained on the FN when we had the 303, we trained on the steyr when we had the FN, we trained on the GPMG when we had the BrEN. It is all about interoperability, just because you are not, at this moment, going to fill a particular role doesn't mean you should not be trained in that particular role. It is a very myopic point of view, and if you are to take that position then you should not get a 154 unless you are filling a driver's appointment, nobody should do weapons courses unless they are actually filling those appointments. There should be no reservists on those CIMIC courses as we are not going to be serving overseas, in fact why is there even an RDF appointment in that school? No member of the DF should do a parachute course unless they are going to part of the Black Knights or in the Ranger Wing.

Comment

• I did an AML 90 gunnery and DR course when I was SWA in a Cav unit.
                  The theory behind all arms of the reserve is that they will fill any vacancy within the ORBAT if required. Remember "Single Force"?
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                    We trained on the FN when we had the 303, we trained on the steyr when we had the FN, we trained on the GPMG when we had the BrEN. It is all about interoperability, just because you are not, at this moment, going to fill a particular role doesn't mean you should not be trained in that particular role. It is a very myopic point of view, and if you are to take that position then you should not get a 154 unless you are filling a driver's appointment, nobody should do weapons courses unless they are actually filling those appointments. There should be no reservists on those CIMIC courses as we are not going to be serving overseas, in fact why is there even an RDF appointment in that school? No member of the DF should do a parachute course unless they are going to part of the Black Knights or in the Ranger Wing.
                    I do take your point to a degree, the 81 is a 3-4 week course and mandays would be better prioritised but on the otherhand we don't use them all.

There is a difference between interoperability on section level weapons and battalion level support weapons where the only people expected to operate it are the 81 pln. There is no RDF establishment within Support Coy let along 81 Pln.

Also factor is that PDF need courses for contract renewal.

At the end of the day it's only my opinion, but it also probably the reason all the Bdes are running ILSW courses this year for RDF.

154 is a vital skill in short supply that will always be used (apples and oranges).

CIMIC course I agree to a point but having said that reservists have skills that would assist (and CIMIC doesn't have to just be overseas). Anyway I believe it was changed a couple of years ago to prevent RDF doing UNTSI courses.

You ask about why there are RDF in UNTSI, I didn't write CS4 so I don't know the rationale, however I can tell you that the 2 reservists there are well qualified in what they instruct on and their duties there. 1 of them has topped an UNTSI course and the other has done a non-UNTSI course. So it would appear that they are used and valued by the handful of PDF staff there (and previous staff as they rotate regularly). Previous Sch Comdt's of UNTSI have commented that UNTSI exercises would not be as realistic without RDF role players (coming from a Colonel with much overseas experience).

Not all PDF who do either the basic or advanced parachute cses fall into those categories either, there's is at least 1 reservist on the Black Knights anyway

Comment

• I very strongly agree with B20 on this. 81mm can be shot by Inf and Arty and it is very worthwhile qualifying afaics the people who come off them are useful. If OC wants to put one on and its not taking a PDF man off a sp wpns YE, and again thats the Bn 2iCs problem to prioritise for attendees off the companies and instructors and present courses of action to the boss for noms . Saying yes or no here is like working for Microsoft - technically correct, but irrelevant all the same.

Given the OC in question i'd buy tickets for an audience to someone who wanted to sit him down and tell him
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        81mm can be shot by Inf and Arty
                        Arty only do it for overseas

and it is very worthwhile qualifying afaics the people who come off them are useful.
                        not disagreeing but priorities - send someone to do 3-4 week 81 YE or 2 x ILSW YE wpns cses (can then do 66% of the jobs in wpns Pln

Given the OC in question i'd buy tickets for an audience to someone who wanted to sit him down and tell him
                        Having been a fellow student on a course with him I'd agree

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                          I did an AML 90 gunnery and DR course when I was SWA in a Cav unit.
                          The theory behind all arms of the reserve is that they will fill any vacancy within the ORBAT if required. Remember "Single Force"?
                          I was serving with appointment in the same unit but did neither, why...I can't ride a motor bike and I'd had enough gunnery from my navy days but I had an appointment that didn't require me to do either but I should as a senior NCO should have had at least one of them under my belt.

The problem being time, both were very intensive courses and can tie up people for up to 12 months...which is fine if you have endless people that can be rotated through appointments .

Again the Reserve you look have to look at the bigger picture and actually pick the people to send on courses and often apply criteria for selection that may not be applicable in other scenarios.

the oversight on criteria such as civilian employment etc has often been over looked and people have been sent on priority courses to be lost soon after to factors beyond the DF's control.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• the oversight on criteria such as civilian employment etc has often been over looked and people have been sent on priority courses to be lost soon after to factors beyond the DF's control.
                            tru dat
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• You'd imagine with the floods back home, the opportunity would be there to use the rdf in a meaningful way in their own community. The minister said that 30 troops are being deployed, I doubt any are reserve.
                              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                              He put a bullet through his brain.
                              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
                                You'd imagine with the floods back home, the opportunity would be there to use the rdf in a meaningful way in their own community. The minister said that 30 troops are being deployed, I doubt any are reserve.
                                You never know the last flooding of the Shannon the AR & NSR covered some of the weekends.

The floods previously guys turned up and were turned away

Comment

Working...
                                X