No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh and just because YOU haven't seen it Trell doesn't mean lobbying didn't happen.It did.And R5 still goes unsigned.ASk yourself who benefits from it NOT being signed? Even the much vaunted RDFRA headshed do!!
    Apod - I know just because I didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen - for sure. But I'm scratching my head here - what possible benefit is there to not signing R5 ; there hasn't been a draft in three or four years that I've seen

. I look at the places I know very well ; SWA (officers, that is ) are all gone and a huge swathe of empty ranks are there ; there have been two rounds of commandant's competitions and a new Lt Col in one of the Bdes; the other ltcs' are coming up fairly handy too and after that it'll be a complete change of the guard.

I've seen the odd PQ being asked in the Dail - and that's it . As for RDFRA head shed I'd be amazed if either the chair or GS had anything to benefit
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Agreed on everything Trellheim except the SWA appointments for officers. I'd say there is still a few officers who are SWA not as many as there was definitely.

There is definitely SNCOs who are SWA (again not as many as there was).

Comment

• Ah,you would be wrong there lads.The RDFRA have EVERYTHING to gain from R5 not being signed.Until it is the old 3 Bde structure is still in place and as a result so are Reps for units that don't exist.And they keep their positions.
        No elections benefits those at the top of RDFRA also as they can't be voted out.Their is no such position as "Chairperson" or "Vice Chairperson" in the organisation.But the President etc can't be voted on or appointed for the reasons I outlined already.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• There is a position of Chairperson and Vice Chairperson in the organisation, always has been. When the position of President falls vacant between elections, one of the national executive is elected as chairperson and performs the tasks assigned to the role of president. It is clearly set out in the constitution of the organisation.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
            What he said.No SWA. You either moved to another unit often times a long way from where to had been serving and at often a great financial burden or you left simple as.And all we have is PDFORRA to speak out for us.
            No Dail Committees,no embedded members of political parties,no former members of the force as shadow defence minister haranguing the incumbent,
            Oh and just because YOU haven't seen it Trell doesn't mean lobbying didn't happen.It did.And R5 still goes unsigned.ASk yourself who benefits from it NOT being signed? Even the much vaunted RDFRA headshed do!!
            Both PDFORRA and indeed RACO have appeared before Committees of the Houses of the Oireachtas before.

The thing is is that PDF pers make decisions affecting PDF pers, and as a result you won't usually find decisions adversely affecting the PDF made by themselves if they can help it. It would be turkeys voting for Christmas.

However decisions affecting the RDF, especially the more important decisions, are pretty much always made by PDF at the higher level. You can see from RDFRA's appearance before the Joint Committee that even decisions directly affecting the RDF and where the RDF are key stakeholders to some of the meetings, plannings and decisions in the aftermath of the 2015 WP that there was brutal communication on behalf of those organising these things with regard to seeking input from the RDF and in some cases there were no RDF invited to meetings concerning the RDF!

It's fully understandable the PDF making decisions affecting the RDF but in any other modern military anywhere in the developed world the Reserve component would have a hell of a lot more input at the higher level and their opinion taken on board.

Comment

• Ah,you would be wrong there lads.The RDFRA have EVERYTHING to gain from R5 not being signed.Until it is the old 3 Bde structure is still in place and as a result so are Reps for units that don't exist.And they keep their positions.
              No elections benefits those at the top of RDFRA also as they can't be voted out.Their is no such position as "Chairperson" or "Vice Chairperson" in the organisation.But the President etc can't be voted on or appointed for the reasons I outlined already.
              How is that everything - who the hell cares if they keep their positions . And I very much doubt that their positions are of any interest to those who authorize R5

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                How is that everything - who the hell cares if they keep their positions . And I very much doubt that their positions are of any interest to those who authorize R5
                So.Let me get this straight.You are in favor of a representative body that doesn't reflect the organisation it serves with reps that can't be replaced because their cronies have lobbied in order to keep the status quo.? Thats OK with you? These are the people you want speaking for you?
                FFS REps from units that don't exist in reality but still do on paper have even shown up for conferences despite being discharged!!!Simply because they "were the man voted in" and no one can be voted in to replace them.

Laughable.

You are right though.They probably don't even register to the people who write the Regs,but Ministers DO listen to backbenchers and party colleagues even sometimes over their Department and military advisers.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• So.Let me get this straight.You are in favor of a representative body that doesn't reflect the organisation it serves with reps that can't be replaced because their cronies have lobbied in order to keep the status quo.? Thats OK with you? These are the people you want speaking for you?
                  FFS REps from units that don't exist in reality but still do on paper have even shown up for conferences despite being discharged!!!Simply because they "were the man voted in" and no one can be voted in to replace them.

Laughable.

You are right though.They probably don't even register to the people who write the Regs,but Ministers DO listen to backbenchers and party colleagues even sometimes over their Department and military advisers.
                  You're missing my point - I've never seen any evidence of lobbying . Do they do anything for us; sometimes they have, yes. Most of the time I slag them off and for good reason but they've never to my knowledge held R5 up

Comment

Ah,you would be wrong there lads.The RDFRA have EVERYTHING to gain from R5 not being signed.Until it is the old 3 Bde structure is still in place and as a result so are Reps for units that don't exist.And they keep their positions.
                    AFAIK RDFRA submitted a new Constitution to C&A Branch about 3-5 years ago. Also AFAIK they are still waiting for it to be signed off.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      AFAIK RDFRA submitted a new Constitution to C&A Branch about 3-5 years ago. Also AFAIK they are still waiting for it to be signed off.
                      Can't be signed off until R5 is.Chicken and egg

Comment

Can't be signed off until R5 is.Chicken and egg
                        S7 maybe not R5

Comment

• they kind of go together ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                            Not to be a regulatory nerd or anything..... but , R5 is a DFR and goes through all the various levels of consultation to be amended once decided... about a year, Part 9 is an Admin Instr and is amended at the stroke of a generals pen. Bottom line is the department own one and the military own the other , so they can't really do certain things all that fast....
                            The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Booted Man View Post
                              Not to be a regulatory nerd or anything..... but , R5 is a DFR and goes through all the various levels of consultation to be amended once decided... about a year, Part 9 is an Admin Instr and is amended at the stroke of a generals pen. Bottom line is the department own one and the military own the other , so they can't really do certain things all that fast....
                              The amendment to DFR R5 to remove Grat happened quickly enough!

The non amendment of R5 over one simple issue, effectively means that ever time a reservist attends a field day or weekend that they are disobeying lawful orders, as there is no OC Res Bde (who must authorise same).

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              they kind of go together ...
                              How?

Representation isn't even mentioned in DFR R5 or Admin Inst R5, it is cover in the Defence Acts and DFR S7
                              Last edited by DeV; 15 February 2017, 00:45.

Comment

• R5 was amended in a major way in 2005. With no consultation whatever the FCA was removed, a lot of clothing and financial admin was put into Admin Instr where it had been in regs; everyone thought this was a new era but in actual fact it was - as is so always the case - one man's brilliance . Since then its been a pile of shite.

Comment

Working...
                                X