The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gunn1 View Post
    Knee injury,it's a pretty long story one which I can't really talk about but I was sad t leave o loved every part of training and it was a great experiance but I'm happy in the rdf for the moment gonna see how college goes before I make a decision on re applying or not.yeah there a good bunch of lads
    See your PMs....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Over the past number of years, the Defence Forces have met operational requirements from within the capacity and resources of the Permanent Defence Force without the need to call up the Reserve Defence Force.
      WERE DOOMED!!!!!

"He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• i think he's talking about this

You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• Why the we're doomed.

I see nothing there bar the same old political mumblings.
          Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Its political speak for "we have yet to identify an actual use for the RDF".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Nothing new there!!
              Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Just trying to be dramatic thats all (".
                "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Just seen on sky news that the brits are cutting back on regulars and pouring money into the TA, pity our lot wouldn't wake up and see the benefits of a similar move

Comment

• Originally posted by paul469 View Post
                    Just seen on sky news that the brits are cutting back on regulars and pouring money into the TA, pity our lot wouldn't wake up and see the benefits of a similar move
                    our Reservists are already very well integrated with our Regulars and they deploy pretty much on every operation with us.

in these hard financial times when everything is being cut - i think it's better to be a leaner and better equipped smaller Regular force with an increased Reserve force sharing our assets as and when required.

although i am a Regular soldier in the British Army, i welcome this decision and am more than happy to see more Reservists in action with us.

besides - in about 2 years i'll be a Reservist anyhow, suits me.
                    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      ....although i am a Regular soldier in the British Army, i welcome this decision and am more than happy to see more Reservists in action with us.

besides - in about 2 years i'll be a Reservist anyhow, suits me.
                      Ah yes, but I wonder if you would be of the same opinion if you were more junior
                      in your career... ?

Just as an aside, will you retain your rank on entry into the Terriers, or is there a
                      cut off point where personnel transferring in from the Regulars would have to drop
                      rank ?
                      Last edited by Truck Driver; 18 July 2011, 05:11.
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Even the British Army has an equivalent to the First Line Reserve (Regular Reserve or something like that it is called).

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Ah yes, but I wonder if you would be of the same opinion if you were more junior
                          in your career... ?

Just as an aside, will you retain your rank on entry into the Terriers, or is there a
                          cut off point where personnel transferring in from the Regulars would have to drop
                          rank ?
                          i don't think the cuts will hit junior soldiers too much. natural wastage and strict manning control points will see a swift reduction, combined with voluntary redundancy that is already very popular.

those who are left in the smaller army will be better equipped than ever before.

hopefully nobody who wants to stay in the army has to leave.

Regular rank at the same seniority is retained for 3 years from date of discharge if you join the Reserve (i.e. if you join the TA any time up to 3 years after leaving the Regulars then you will enter the TA at the rank you left the Regulars at).

if you join after 3 years from discharge then i believe you are reviewed on an individual basis to see what rank you would be suitable to join at.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by paul469 View Post
                            Just seen on sky news that the brits are cutting back on regulars and pouring money into the TA, pity our lot wouldn't wake up and see the benefits of a similar move
                            I totally agree but being in the RDF I suppose I'm biased The idea makes a lot of sense if the PDF numbers are being reduced but there'd need to be a lot put into the RDF in terms of training & equipment, perhaps encourage those people leaving the PDF to join the RDF to give the benifit of their training/experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by cplmick View Post
                              I totally agree but being in the RDF I suppose I'm biased The idea makes a lot of sense if the PDF numbers are being reduced but there'd need to be a lot put into the RDF in terms of training & equipment, perhaps encourage those people leaving the PDF to join the RDF to give the benifit of their training/experience.
                              It's been broached in this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by cplmick View Post
                                When you finish up your term of service in the PDF are you not down as being in the RDF for a few years afterwards? How many of them actually turn up?

Comment

Working...
                                X