The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
    When you finish up your term of service in the PDF are you not down as being in the RDF for a few years afterwards? How many of them actually turn up?
    Sadly thats not how it works. If you leave the pdf at the end of your 5 years then you are placed on the strength of the first line reserve which is totally seperate force to the rdf. You have no obligations except to fill out a form and send it to your old unit once a year. If you want to go into the rdf then you have to buy your discharge first.

Been through the system and it is a joke. No reason that anyone who leaves the pdf cand be offered the chance to go into the rdf.
    Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

• Originally posted by ollie View Post
      the first line reserve which is totally seperate force to the rdf.
      Incorrect according to the Defence Acts, the RDF consists of 2 elements - the FLR and the SLR (AR & NSR)

Comment

• Originally posted by ollie View Post
        If you want to go into the rdf then you have to buy your discharge first.
        I thought in R5 it allowed for a member of the PDF on completion of service, at their request, to be posted to the RDF at the rank held.
        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
          The completion of service includes time in the FLR.
          Ah ok, didn't know that, so the FLR are a totally seperate element to that of the RDF? How does that work? where/how do they train?
          Last edited by Mr. Tezza; 21 July 2011, 13:37.

Comment

Ah ok, didn't know that, so the FLR are a totally seperate element to that of the RDF? How does that work? where/how do they train?
            As I said a couple of posts ago, the FLR is a part of the RDF

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              As I said a couple of posts ago, the FLR is a part of the RDF
              Apologies mis-read that, so does that mean that the FLR are mixed in with the SLR, just dosen't make a load of sense to me to be honest, what is the difference between the FLR and the SLR?

Comment

Apologies mis-read that, so does that mean that the FLR are mixed in with the SLR, just dosen't make a load of sense to me to be honest, what is the difference between the FLR and the SLR?
                The FLR dont change with the SLR

The FLR is for those ex-pdf members who wouldnt be seen dead in a green beret
                You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                  The FLR dont change with the SLR

The FLR is for those ex-pdf members who wouldnt be seen dead in a green beret
                  So do then train with the PDF is it? I just never seen someone proclaiming to be FLR so don't know about them

Comment

• no they are above that!
                    Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• The FLR is just a paper force of ex-PDF troops.

Comment

• The RDF consists of two parts:

First Line Reserve - made up of former members of the PDF who must serve x years in the FLR as part of their contract (or have applied to join) - they are basically a list of personnel that could be called upon in case of emergency - they can be called up for annual training - in the vast majority of cases they aren't, I believe NS officers were called up a few years back

Second Line Reserve - made up of volunteers - the Army Reserve (formerly An FCA) and the Naval Service Reserve (formerly An Sula Muiri)

Comment

• D Res gave us a talk during the week. Still waiting for VFM output.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• [QUOTE=DeV;343314]Incorrect according to the Defence Acts, the RDF consists of 2 elements - the FLR and the SLR

Sorry what i meant was that the flr is totally seperate to the army reserve. Basically anyone who leaves the pdf at the end of their 5 years goes into the flr for the remainder of their contract. Afaik there is no option to go into reserve.

Its just a paper force which doesnt train or get called up.
                            Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

• I'm taking Ollies word....
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Afaik there is no option to go into reserve.
                                Yes there is, you can go in as the same rank as your PDF rank.
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X