The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Careful now...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
      Re the removal from non effective list the procedure I listed is what we were told on parade last week by one of our officers :confused:
      Ahhhh..... we were "Told".

Bunny shooter - little lesson - "If it ain't written down.... it ain't"

Procedures for removal from Non-effective list - DFR R5, Para 50 (1).

I heard a rumour that there was going to be a temporary relaxing of the rules for 2008 but it was that - just a rumour. The rules are going to be applied in their entirety. Anyone who went to the unit CO to get removed from the non-effective list, I would recommend that they go back, double check, triple check, pray it isn't rejected and then thank their lucky stars someone didn't cop it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
        I agree with you on the lads who simply turned up for camp and were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They often didn't know one end of the FN/Steyr from the other and they were often NCO's

However, it is going to ultimately be the downfall of the RDF IMO. Now the powers that be will be able to prove there aren't enough "effective" members. At least before the numbers were higher even if it was the "campers" who were keeping the number high.
        Well maybe it is the fault of the RDF for the situation it now finds itself in. In the old days, training was very lax and most nights were finished off by copious amounts of drink. I mean, what do they think this is? An Army?

And that is the problem. People want their old drinking club back and don't want this new training regime. And now we are heading towards an effective & relevant Reserve. So too many people are in opposition and don't realise that they are dooming the whole Reserve with their opposition. In the end, they won't have their drinking club, they won't have a Reserve, there will be nothing. The Government isn't helping but it seems they are merely pushing the right buttons to get Reservists to react in a way everyone will know they will. They are not destroying the RDF, they are merely facilitating us in destroying it ourselves.

Why are there not enough Effective people? Not because the Government are stopping people from showing up - but because we are not showing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docman View Post
          Ahhhh..... we were "Told".

Bunny shooter - little lesson - "If it ain't written down.... it ain't"

Procedures for removal from Non-effective list - DFR R5, Para 50 (1).

I heard a rumour that there was going to be a temporary relaxing of the rules for 2008 but it was that - just a rumour. The rules are going to be applied in their entirety. Anyone who went to the unit CO to get removed from the non-effective list, I would recommend that they go back, double check, triple check, pray it isn't rejected and then thank their lucky stars someone didn't cop it.
          plenty got taken off the list in my unit no problems whatsoever , sadly even some who were not even wanted !
          Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
            Well maybe it is the fault of the RDF for the situation it now finds itself in. In the old days, training was very lax and most nights were finished off by copious amounts of drink. I mean, what do they think this is? An Army?

And that is the problem. People want their old drinking club back and don't want this new training regime. And now we are heading towards an effective & relevant Reserve. So too many people are in opposition and don't realise that they are dooming the whole Reserve with their opposition. In the end, they won't have their drinking club, they won't have a Reserve, there will be nothing. The Government isn't helping but it seems they are merely pushing the right buttons to get Reservists to react in a way everyone will know they will. They are not destroying the RDF, they are merely facilitating us in destroying it ourselves.

Why are there not enough Effective people? Not because the Government are stopping people from showing up - but because we are not showing up.
            eh I think you are over generalising here.

My work and family commitments make intergration not possible unless it were done at week ends which it is not.
            I can also miss camp becaues it doesn't suit my employer to let me have that week off.

I enjoy my couple of pints in the drinking club after training the troops for 2 hours.

I am not unique.

There are those that give all they can. When they are there they give 110%. There are those with special skills that cannot attend as regularily as they would like. When they are there they give training that is far superior to that given by some who show up all the time.

should we really sacrafice quality for quantity?
            should the reserve not about making the best use of the recources available?
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• modding

Originally posted by smegers View Post
              I would suggest the PDF take control of recruit camps and 2 star camps. People on recruit camps do little more than march up and down a road for 2 weeks, and from talking to some of the people in my unit who did the 2 star camp this year it was a clusterf**k, with people not being allowed to do proper tactics because they would get their uniforms dirty. If the PDF took it over training at the early stages maybe then we could see an end to the nanny culture thats creeping in.
              I was on a camp like this in the summer of '08, if it is indeed the same camp we are discussing. I was in the process of training for my 3rd star. But back to the topic of Reservist Futures, this is my opinion on the topic.

1. There are many static, non-working time wasters in the RDF. Clear out the unnecessary bulls**t! There's too much conversation about this that and the other, and nothing actually done.

2. RDF units should be wholly integrated with PDF batallions. Better training, better equipped, better prepared. How do they expect someone, who has not touched the Steyr for the previous 5 months to be able to carry out IA's safely in a TOET without immediate prior training.

3. Officers need to tune in to the need of us squaddies. I have two examples of this.
              A): Friend and colleague of mine was to go on camp in Kilworth during the summer as a 3*. Work was booked off and she was ready to go. But what happened? They overfilled Kilworth, and she lost two weeks of pay. The RDFRA is still trying to resolve the issue for her.
              B): One of my close friends killed himself in October 2008. He was a 2* in our unit. The family agreed for us to come along and give honours at both the church and graveside. Just as we arrived, our platoon CO decided "no", without reason. What is a private like me going to say? Especially when I want a POTS course.

Somebody in the higher echelons help us and sort out this morale-lowering disaster!
              That's my say.
              "Any soldier worth his salt should be anti-war. And still, there are things worth fighting for."-Norman Schwarzkopf, CO, US FORCES, GW1

Comment

• us squaddies
                eh
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  eh
                  He means you Hedgie!
                  Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    eh
                    He/she must be a member of the Elite Reserve unit, located within the Southern brigade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      He/she must be a member of the Elite Reserve unit, located within the Southern brigade.
                      The Lads from Tralee are the "elite" guys aren't they???

Courage is from 34th Bn, I know this because I know of the young fella in question. Didn't know him but alot of mates in my unit did.

And to courage, you are not a Squaddie. You are a Reservist in the Irish Army, not the british, they are the only Squaddies.
                      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                        The Lads from Tralee are the "elite" guys aren't they???
                        Nope.

Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                        Courage is from 34th Bn, .

Comment

• Officers need to tune in to the need of us squaddies. I have two examples of this.

Courage I may have inadvertently directed a lot of attention your way because of your use of the

term Squaddies

Its just that the old fart that I am recognises that we as the Nation of Yeats, Wilde, Shaw, Heaney and Milligan

are literate enough to have our own terms rather than copy everything from our next door neighbours

terms like pah spit bergan and squaddies etc-

by the way welcome aborad
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by courage-under-fire
                            1. There are many static, non-working time wasters in the RDF. Clear out the unnecessary bulls**t! There's too much conversation about this that and the other, and nothing actually done.
                            THis point comes up again and again.
                            THe only problem is that some have worked hard to reach a position where the are supervising and encouraging those below. Others are doing their job organising etc outside the normal times. It is thus very difficult to pin-point ther true wasters from the people that are busy behind the scene making things work.

2. RDF units should be wholly integrated with PDF batallions. Better training, better equipped, better prepared. How do they expect someone, who has not touched the Steyr for the previous 5 months to be able to carry out IA's safely in a TOET without immediate prior training.
                            THere is more to training than the weapon so being intergrated with the PDF would not necessarily be any help.
                            Incidentally if trained properly you should be proficient and IA's should come as second nature, like riding a bike 5months should not dull your ability that much.

3. Officers need to tune in to the need of us squaddies. I have two examples of this.
                            A): Friend and colleague of mine was to go on camp in Kilworth during the summer as a 3*. Work was booked off and she was ready to go. But what happened? They overfilled Kilworth, and she lost two weeks of pay. The RDFRA is still trying to resolve the issue for her.
                            B): One of my close friends killed himself in October 2008. He was a 2* in our unit. The family agreed for us to come along and give honours at both the church and graveside. Just as we arrived, our platoon CO decided "no", without reason. What is a private like me going to say? Especially when I want a POTS course.
                            Others have already commented on "squaddies" so I will not.
                            A): "Usually" the numbers are know a reasonable period in advance. BUt cancellations happen even in the PDF so thats life. Although I have found that its more the exception than the rule.
                            B): Our unit attends funerals in uniform. I have never heard otherwise.

Somebody in the higher echelons help us and sort out this morale-lowering disaster!
                            That's my say.
                            I think you are meeting the point where expectations meet reality!!!!

If you can get passed it life does get better.

Originally posted by silverside
                            small point - a "military" presence at the funeral of a suicide might be frowned upon as it could be seen as glorifying / promoting suicide. My sympathies to you on the death of your friend. I know of a similar case, there was a discreet presence by the CO / cadre staff but no uniforms to be seen.
                            Interesting point of view which I totally disagree with but interesting all the same.
                            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Yes Officers should like after their privates, The "squaddies" can look after themselves

Comment

• If they were correctly trained - the first time - they should need an absolute min amount of revision.

There is a lot of bull - some necessary / some not - eg if all the LAs & some of the AFs were replaced by UCS/IMS/MIF etc etc in the RDF (and it was rolled out to all units). The amount of work could be reduced drastically.

Then when a monthly/annual return (or just a query) had to be done the would take a few clicks of a mouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X