No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 centralised course in each brigade each year (dates given out min 3/4 months in advance), you can expect 200-300 recruits, so 2 locations may be required.

Just one doesn't work because of the cyclical nature. If you pitch up to join in September as many do you don't wanna be waiting till July to do recruit, and it's counterproductive to both the unit and the recruit to have him waiting that long.

This way you can do recruit and two star in < 12 months,

The other good thing about running 3 a year is that you won't get 200-300 on one camp, instead just a training company of say 3 platoons who are allocated not by parent unit but to fill a platoon plus an Admin Pl incl drivers, enemy, duties. That plus command staff and attached instructors

and they are the best you have, and NO-ONE is allowed visit, no hangers on, no fat CQs or CS's [ no extras at all ]
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• We found that in reality 2 weeks isn't long enough for module 2. Do schools/colleges get a 2 week break at Easter or October.

In DIT you used to get a week for Easter and no break in October.

Comment

• Well the schools and colleges all have a long summer break!

Yes people want their hols but if you know the dates then you can fit it in.

As for the use of tents.

If the tents that were used for the Special Olympics were used then I cannot see a problem for any rank.

They were more like soft skinned billets.

THey could be set up almost anywhere.

And I seem to remember the army having a big mobile kitchen.

Isn't there supposed to be a Camp COy with cooks?

So a camp could be set-up within another installation, such as Gormo, Kilbride, Kilworth and god knows how many other locations and yet be run autonomusly!!!!

If the will was there it would be possible but I would bet, as Trell says, ploitics would get in the way.
        Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Originally posted by johnny no stars View Post
          Set up a RTC (recruit training centre) so? Not just for the RDF of course!

The idea of a "from scratch" centralised location is good, though. Plenty of accommodation, plenty of squares, plenty of cookhouses, plenty of - free from local interference with usage of pyro - land and plenty of training rooms. Complete with a range (or seven) and stocks of all the types of things recruits might need like aiming rests and maybe even a gym :-o or an obstacle course!

But it might just make sense that way....
          That sounds a lot like the DFTC (Defence Forces Training Centre) formerly known as the GTD (General Training Depot - McDonagh Bks, Currachg Camp).

None of these are new ideas.

Comment

• Curragh - severelack of accomodation and it's all over the place.

Nothing new in the ideas except that of the training unit being completely independent.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• and with having enough accommodation
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
              Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
              Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
              Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

Comment

• Topical of late. Bump

Reduce the Army Reserve to 2700ish as per integrated model.

National recruitment campaign, interviews / testing held at 2 locations in each brigade,

Entrance requirements same as PDF

Dedicated dept in Garda / DoD for security clearance of ALL DF potentials.

Selected potential recruits go for introduction weekend held twice a year before those that decide to go forward attend national recruit training centre. Total recruit intake to be around 250ish.

Instructors come from both reserve and PDF BTC's as well as members of the training colleges, supplemented by line and corp units.

Increase the periods of training to those akin to all other reserve forces (approx 20-25days FTT) Clearly laid out and set dates of training at the start of the year that DO NOT CHANGE
                Consistant weekend per month / 2 months training in concentration.

Legislation to cover both reserve member and DoD/DF in obligations to attend training, i.e deduction in pay, charges, process to apply for leave etc. Only work with forward planned dates of training not subject to change.

Distance learning / annual skill and proficinecy tests / fitness requirements

All recruits come through infantry training from rec to 2* to 3* then go join Corp specific training as chosen by them either at recruit selection or during 2*-3* training.

Utilise civilian qualifications such as electrican / IT / fitness instr in corp unit placement.

Annual assesment by participation in PDF company / bn level ex.

Voluntary overseas service for small numbers of specific skill personel

if needed to deploy overseas then employment legislation

Possible rostering (in good advance) of service in barracks for security duty, admin, armoury duties, maintenance etc.

Option to the DF to utilise Reserve members with more time to dedicate to attendance to be employed in areas of atention, eg. transport, vehicle maintenance, medic duties, mil police, bodies for courses / ex's etc.
                "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• In what way and to who?

I've been looking of late at the Kiwi Reserve, the TA's the US Army Reserve and the Dutch reserve.

All have a common trend of consistant training on weekends as well as weekday and distance learning, totalling about 25-30 days.

I'm currently working on the actual cost of wages in regards the integrated model and hopefully account for the costs of the extra training / access to euipment etc.

For the reserve to become credible not only here but internationally and give a value for money return on the amount spent on it then

The hard stone cold facts are :

that if you do not have the time or are not prepared to sacrifice the time to do the level of training that is international standard then the reserve is not for you.

If you are not prepared to become fight fit, self motivate yourself in distance learning and have an active interest in the running of firstly your unit and secondly the reserve, then it is not for you.

If you are unwilling to be judged by the benchmark that is the PDF standard in all aspects of training, be it weapon proficiency, military corp skills, attitude, fitness, commitment, then the reserve is not for you

But on the other side of the coin,

If the military boards and decision makers in the DoD and finance are not prepared to commit to real, decisive and progressive change to

create a reserve that is actually rejecting quality candidates because of over subscription,

create a reserve that attracts skilled, motivated and dedicated citizens and rewards them for their sacrifice and service

that can equally and quite possibly fly the flag higher than other countries in the international peace keeping forces that routinely commit reserve troops overseas

Provide a workable and sustainable training structure for the reserve that meets not only the requirment for what is a unique organistaion in the state, but also the demands and availablity of reservists,

then the entire organisation should be scrapped once and for all, and the resources focused on providing a more modern, more equiped, better trained PDF than what currently exists as well as supporting the other organisstions like the Civil Defence etc in times of a national emergency
                  "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• To the DF:

A viable reserve the actually supports the training and duties of the PDF both here and overseas.

A reduction in operating costs of the reserve as a whole while increasing its net performance.

Reducing the cost of outside value for money surveys by conducting them in house, out on the training areas where the real value of the reserve can be assesed.

Stop having to 'babysit' the reserve because if it does evolve into the model being looked for it will become part time professional rather thann the sorry state it is today in its attitude.

To the Employers:

2700ish people spread over the country of ireland and covering the entire workforce will not mean the absolute catastrophic failure of industries.

By being flexible in your hiring of reservists and accomodating in their training times, which hopefully would be planned well in advance, you would be rewarded by a combination of

keeping a very loyal and disciplined employee that works as a team under physical and mental pressures not seen in the general civilian workforce,

and hopefully government incentives as in terms of PRSI, tax etc.

To the DoD:

I'm conceeding after all my observations it is purely down to money

To the members:

A rewarding career (note career, not 2 year adventure) in a unique organisation that serves your country not only at home but the opportunity to do so overseas

Achieveing skills applicable in civilian life that would be cost prohibitive, eg, driving licence for HGV's, heavy plant operating licences, medical qualifications,

Get to train with the most varied cross section of people that you would normally have no contact with and experience achievement with quite possibly friends for life.

Do something differne ton a weekend other than, go to the pub, cut the lawn, clean the car, wash the dog, play games on the internet,

To all out there who have a critical role in whether this happens or not. This is the opportunity which will not come round again.

Comment

• Zulu good points,

However, what you'll find is that lots of members of the reserve and permanent defence forces won't want that, as they're happy with the way things are, and politically it will be difficult to get this through, people will be ringing up Joe Duffy saying that it is hurting local communities, and a sign that the government is abandoning rural Ireland.

Comment

• joooooooooooooooooooooooooooe duffy can shove it - savings are savings as far as the DOD are concerned. The Defence Forces is not responsible for providing social activities for people aged 17+. Besides, everyone 17+ in rural Ireland has a car (or a massey ferguson) these days.

Comment

• ye but really what did day do when we were in the leb

Comment

• Legislation to cover both reserve member and DoD/DF in obligations to attend training, i.e deduction in pay, charges, process to apply for leave etc. Only work with forward planned dates of training not subject to change.
                            Huge potential problem with that. One of our major gripes on integrated last year was the short notice we were given for weekends. The reply we were given is that this tends to happen in the PDF as well.

All very sensible suggestions, but when have you known sense to apply in this organisation?

Comment

• Originally posted by FoxtrotRK View Post
                              Huge potential problem with that. One of our major gripes on integrated last year was the short notice we were given for weekends. The reply we were given is that this tends to happen in the PDF as well.

All very sensible suggestions, but when have you known sense to apply in this organisation?
                              That's no excuse? It's their Job, they don't take time off work to go.
                              I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dazzler View Post
                                That's no excuse? It's their Job, they don't take time off work to go.
                                Ehh...I don't think it was given as an excuse? I believe they were implying if they can't give full time troops real advance dates there wasn't much hope of being able to do it for the Reserve.

Comment

Working...
                                X