The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    No. Accounting measure at the moment is my info. Don't give up so easily.
    You are too optimistic

Comment

• You are too optimistic
      Why thank you, in this organisation someone has to be.

Time to get my reorg boots out

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Training is no longer going to be suspended in the south.

Comment

• Call me mad but I honestly don't think they'll bin the reserve, the DF will be fairly stretched if FG have their way and Croke park is ignored. Firemen/Ambulance drivers/prison officers/Gardai/CoCo all potentially on strike.

There has to be a reason why the DF has kept recruiting and the Gardai hasn't over the last couple of years.
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
            I'd say the VFM will state "bin 'em or use 'em". There's probably no political appetite to bin the RDF, so it's more likely to be utilised on the conditions beset by the PDF. i.e. scaled down, skilled up, and standards enforced. I would imagine a severe reduction in numbers for the Reserve. That said, it'll probably be a better motivated Reserve.
            I totally agree, I'd much rather be RDF coy X BN than Fantasy on paper coy in X RDF BN. Hopefully my local barracks will be kept as its used for ATCP roles and is owned by the DOD, and a lot of money has been spent on it recently. Although I'd prefer a weekend a month in a PDF barracks than the usual shitetalk on Wednesday nights arsing around before signing the book and fecking off.
            Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
              I'd say the VFM will state "bin 'em or use 'em". There's probably no political appetite to bin the RDF, so it's more likely to be utilised on the conditions beset by the PDF. i.e. scaled down, skilled up, and standards enforced. I would imagine a severe reduction in numbers for the Reserve. That said, it'll probably be a better motivated Reserve.
              It depends on the terms of reference, if you look at the 4 VFM reports on the DOD website, they ask how can the current practices be changed to increase VFM.

Everyone seems to think the VFM would be another reorg, that may happen as a knock on effect but it would not be the principle aim.

Any reduction by the way is unlikely to mean lots of discharges (unless fitness erc is brought in) as the strength is around half the establishment, if even.

The thing that may reduce the numbers are the training locations.

Comment

• Organisational change - Point 5

Hi Dev,

Check point 5 in the attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	697394

Comment

• Could be a double edged sword, it has probably be overtaken by events anyway.

Comment

• and a lot of money has been spent on it recently.
                    means nothing. Clonmel had entire blocks refurbished, new lighting,re vamped accom, traffic management,cookhouse...and was closed regardless.

If the government can't prune the money from the HSE,easiest target on the block is DF and DOD. Anything that thought it escaped last time around better watch out in the next 6 months.

Have no doubt within 12 moths the RDF will cease to exist as we know it and will only be available to a very select few who are prepared to give heavily for a very low price in locations that suit the DF with minimum overheads.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• BThe reorg of the PDF will have major implications on the reserve. The new 2Bde will have only 24 cadre to cover the whole bde. 8 CQs, 8 Sgts and 8 Ptes. That is a lot of ground to cover for very few staff.

Using NCOs from PDF Bns as cadre in addition won't really work as the CQs etc have more than enough to do without all the extra hours and weekends and grief than RDF jobs bring with them. PDF unit commanders won't be too impressed with their senior NCOs taking DILs in order to balance all the weekend work.

I think changes are needed to make RDF officers and NCOs more responsible for their units. As it stands now there is not a hope in hell I would leave an RDF CQ access to my armoury.

Comment

• Fine : in detail - lay out the changes you think are needed to bring up an RDF CQMS to have "access to your armoury" .

Tell me in detail the DFRs, * e.g. L2, L3 change ( and why ) , Admin Instructions and even Defence Act amendments needed because if you can't clearly spell them out you're part of the problem. I'm not asking for detailed paragraph numbers but state a case.

Is completion of a Logs Admin course, for example, a prerequisite ?

Account holding is account holding.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Jesus Trell imagine if it was discovered that a part timer could do the job of a full time CQ and to the same standard when he was required to.

God help the PDF if its ever found out that the RDF is competant
                          It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• From the RDFRA website

This is a communication recieved earlier today by RDFRA by way of Clarification from the Military Authorities in relation to the moves in 1 S Bde earlier this week to cease / shut down RDF training for the remainder of 2012.

This is a clear clarification from OC RDF 1 S Bde on the matter.

MOD: I have removed the quote. It is an internal letter which should not be published on an open forum. What RDFRA publish is their business.
                            Below is a link to the RDFRA site:

Vickers
                            Last edited by Vickers; 7 September 2012, 13:40.

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                              I think changes are needed to make RDF officers and NCOs more responsible for their units. As it stands now there is not a hope in hell I would leave an RDF CQ access to my armoury.
                              Are you actually a CQ or just offering an opinion.

I have been in the armoury in both McKee and CBB many times with no PDF CQ in sight.

In fact I have even see RDF Sgts and Cpls signing out weapons under the watchful eye of an RDF officer.

So what is your problem?

Or is this just a little bit of personal job protection?

Really if you don't have good reason and regulation to back up that then stand aside and let those who are competent get on with it!!

Comment

• It's probably Opsec but it is to do with keys.

Comment

Working...
                                X