Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reduce employers prsi for reservists in return for certain emp protection
    Was suggested but not entertained.

15% of the RDF is similarly unemployed and not in need of employment protection
    An you expect them attend FTT or supplement duties FOC?

The Army can't afford the FTT as it is hence its not going to send guys on courses just because they are on the dole.

The other side being married man two kids on the dole can't afford to go away on courses especially if there is only one income coming in and he's a stay at home dad.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
      its a daft argument.

lets say a RDF Cpl who is currently unemployed is offered a place on FAC course, or a Driving course, or whatever - anything that takes any time, and is designed to upskill the reserve as a whole.

he goes on the list, he's given a date, and off he goes - a week into the 4 week course his wife rings him to tell him he's been offered one of 417 jobs he's applied for in the last 2 months. he needs to start next week.

now, if Cpl X turns the job down he may spend another 6 months on the bones of his arse, and, thb, any reservist who turns down a mortgage-paying civvy job because it interferes with a 4 week DF couse is not the kind of brains trust candidate you're going to want as your FAC, or FOO, or pretty much anything that involves anything sharp, or with shoelaces.

he's going to say 'sorry sir, but i've got a job offer for next week. i know its used up a place on the course, but i've got a mortgage to pay...'.
      Originally posted by hptmurphy
      that is how I picked up what he was saying if 15% are unemployed they are therefore "available" I'm sure when he's back he'll explain it better
      You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• An you expect them attend FTT or supplement duties FOC?
        Jobbridge... . ( oh dear )
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• If they are unemployed they aren't available for work.

If we are made subject to mil law at all time you can be ordered out of work to do any lawful order, eg a driver could be detailed to bring something from cork to finner at a moments notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            ...If we are made subject to mil law at all time you can be ordered out of work to do any lawful order, eg a driver could be detailed to bring something from cork to finner at a moments notice.
            you could, but the RDF would have a strength of 3 men and a dog the next day.

every other country in the world manages to run a reserve without making its members unemployable, whats Irelands excuse?

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post

They tried to get the RDF to do duties in Kilkenny Bks FOC a few years back and it didnt work.
              Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

• Jobbridge... .
                upskill the PDF?

T
                hey tried to get the RDF to do duties in Kilkenny Bks FOC a few years back and it didnt work
                It should be highlighted that the RDF are not a pool of cheap labour for the PDF..and that 90% are not willing to seel their sole for a weeks camp!!

It takes at least two.....or six depending on the film!
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                  I think he means that if 15% of the population is unemployed then 15% of the RDF is similarly unemployed and not in need of employment protection
                  Thats exactly what I said.

Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                  every other country in the world manages to run a reserve without making its members unemployable, whats Irelands excuse?
                  Because they want to.

Now last time I heard unemployment figures quoted they were going up not down. Sothe chance of your man getting that job is less than the chance of him not.
                  But just like Jury service. IF you have such good reason to not attend then you are released from your obligation.

If you want to go on about stay at home dads route, well sure he can't do FTT anyway.
                  And probable isn't financially in a position to take up one of the minimum wage or jopb-bridge positions anyway!!
                  So that is a nonsence arguement.

I never suggested that any one do duties FOC.

So what reason do you find for not doing weekend duties?

The Glen if brim full for drinking weekends so I see little reason for people doing weekend duties.
                  In reality what would it be 3-4 weekends a year?
                  Even Daddy-day-care could manage this and since Sunday is not counted as a work day for dole there is no reason why welfare payments should be effected. Well other than bureaucracy that is.

Comment

• Now last time I heard unemployment figures quoted they were going up not down
                    Ireland?......

So what reason do you find for not doing weekend duties
                    Weekend duties rea not an option as they attract premium payment for the PDF and they wouldn't be willing to surrender this to a dole mole

Comment

• Any report from the RDFRA ADC? The Minister and CoS both made speeches at them(first time the minister has ever shown up) but there seems to be a cone of silence since.

The Reps who cried wolf?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                        Any report from the RDFRA ADC? The Minister and CoS both made speeches at them(first time the minister has ever shown up) but there seems to be a cone of silence since.

The Reps who cried wolf?
                        I wasn't there but i understand that Shatter sent his Junior Minister. I remember Michael Smith attending an ADC years ago.

Comment

• Meh. Minister of State at DOD and Chief Whip. at least they cared enough to send someone, remember a couple of years ago it was just the local FF kildare TD.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                            you could, but the RDF would have a strength of 3 men and a dog the next day.

Not being able/willing to pay (and resource) a few months basic training and not being willing to protect reservists' jobs.
                            Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            Ireland?......

Weekend duties rea not an option as they attract premium payment for the PDF and they wouldn't be willing to surrender this to a dole mole
                            If an RDF soldier does a duty they should get the appropriate allowance!

A manday is a different story.
                            Last edited by DeV; 11 September 2012, 21:10.

Comment

• f an RDF soldier does a duty they should get the appropriate allowance!
                              if he's doing duties on FTT the Duty money is not paid. We used to get a weeks FTT during the course of the year to do three Guards, but no duty money.

Where did the duty money end up as it would have been allocated?

He has to be specifically employed for a day and the detail to do the duty and be paid appropriately but won't be if its run as FTT.

Comment

• With the number of Cadre being drastically reduced in the coming weeks, I think that the numbers of field days and even FTT days will also dwindle even further. There will simply be no one to organise the background stuff.

Perhaps there will be Bde field days and Bde camps if they slash the establishment of the RDF. I think that would be a good idea as it gets various corps experience with inter operability

Comment

Working...
                                X