The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
    to put it lighly people are not happy- talk of closing ranks etc..........
    Wouldn't that constitute mutiny?

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
      how would it???
      just means nobody will put there necks out for you
      thats if the rumour is true
      and the army does love there rumours and never let the truth get in the way
      all it will do is drive a big wedge between both sides end of story

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
        For me, I'm happy with the re-org.

It's exactly what we needed to remove the deadwood from the organisation and build a training tempo similar to that of the PDF.

Allegedly, I heard second hand last night, we'll even receive the same scale of issue as the PDF (which offends my Gucci sensibilities). Whether that transpires will remain to be seen.

Furthermore, we'll be subject to proper, pull-no-punches training. No more summer holidays in the Glen, tossing it off with set piece token exercises. There will actually be some serious soldiering ahead of us, and I'm delighted!

BUT...
        I'd be inclined to suggest that experience was as a result of your own unit's management, rather than the RDF itself. I and many others here have participated on annual training which was intense, and focused, with a 72 hour ex at the end of week 2 as a part of a PDF exercise(and not as enemy). However, it seems since the 2005 reorg, and the resultant reductions, this scale became impractical.

It is to the organisations lasting shame, that the 2005 reorg was not used as an opportunity to cull the teadrinking club deadweights. Instead, in many cases, it gave them positions of greater authority, which resulted in a culture of pointlessness spreading throughout the organisation.
        Officers whose sole motivation was to drink coffee with PDF officers in the Larger officers mess, with no interest in silly things like training plans, parades & inspections or even TOETs.
        Other officers who loved the sound of their own voices so much they instructed without reference to manuals, again resorting to the "thats not the way we do it round here" mantra, or tales of how they done it in 1980 with piss-pot helmets, overalls and 303s. The same ones whose personal admin in the field lecture consisted of useful tips they had picked up while hillwalking in the reeks, such as attaching your kfs, compass, and penknife to a single paracord, and wrapping said paracord around all three, keeping it neatly in your top jacket pocket. Tacaids were only for the cadet school.
        SNCOs who felt their rank was a god-given right, rather than an earned rank, who still instructed "the way we always did it" rather than current doctrine and practice.
        The same SNCOs who magically vanished to the mess any time anything resembling physical exercise or activity took place. The same ones who insisted the stand-to driver drove them to the pub when the mess closed, and ignored the Orderly Officer and BOS instructions to return to their billet and STFU at 3am, while the rest of the camp had been in their unks for the previous 3 hours, and would be up in another 3.
        The Privates who had no interest in military training whatsoever, considering annual training as a place to go on the tear. The same one would normally develop an illness or injury on day 2 of training, and be on LD till the second last day when a miraculous recovery would be witnessed.

To succeed in this latest guise, from the outset, every member going forward should be interviewed for their appointment to ensure they are suitable. The Lottery that was witnessed in 2005 left a lot of very good NCOs and Officers SWA. Most of these eventually left the organisation, unable to stop the rot they were witnessing.

This cannot happen again.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Had a chat with a well placed person this morning.

He/she was 'suggesting' that in some cases the 7 days FTT maybe be of the 08.30 to 16.30 variety with no accommadation and no rations (buy a meal ticket like everone else). Eg for bks based unit/sub unit where the 7 days FTT does not require open tactical areas this may apply eg driving courses, sigs courses. Reduced 'envelope' language. For 'rural' units normal accommadation, rations, etc may apply.

Anyway, with this 3 year review planned the undercurrent seems obvious.
          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
          Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            Seems there was a good ole Barney on Newstalk about the document.
            What show - What time?

Edit

Found it
            Right Hook, Wednesday, Part 1, About 18mins in.
            Last edited by Docman; 22 November 2012, 19:59.

Comment

• Its going to be weird for a while having the same unit Crest as out formerly Parent unit...now our stepparent unit?
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                Had a chat with a well placed person this morning.

He/she was 'suggesting' that in some cases the 7 days FTT maybe be of the 08.30 to 16.30 variety with no accommadation and no rations (buy a meal ticket like everone else). Eg for bks based unit/sub unit where the 7 days FTT does not require open tactical areas this may apply eg driving courses, sigs courses. Reduced 'envelope' language. For 'rural' units normal accommadation, rations, etc may apply.

That's going to be the end of many
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                  Had a chat with a well placed person this morning.

Half 8 to half 4 for courses is the norm in the PDF, unless the syllabus states otherwise. If you're on a course, you're on rations. Accomadation is provided to those who request it.

Comment

No, however as I'm sure you well know, having PDF lads who are willing to do more than asked, call in favours etc. can be quite useful.

Lose that and watch the snags roll in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Docman View Post
                      What show - What time?

Edit

Found it
                      Right Hook, Wednesday, Part 1, About 18mins in.
                      Declan Ganley defending the RDF? Not sure I'm comfortable with that. The presenter came accross as a Knob too(Not Hooky).

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                        No, however as I'm sure you well know, having PDF lads who are willing to do more than asked, call in favours etc. can be quite useful.

Lose that and watch the snags roll in.
                        Ok I'm with you now

Why does PDF have a problem with this? Apart from the fact the RDF may be doing their job for FREE..............

Comment

Ok I'm with you now

Why does PDF have a problem with this? Apart from the fact the RDF may be doing their job for FREE..............
                          I think Kaiser was alluding to the reaction from PDF members to the ballhop that he says is doing the rounds in the DFTC, that the RDF(I'm assuming RDFRA) were actively trying to show the Government that there was no need for a PDF, if they focused on the RDF.

Most definitely a ballhop though, so there should be no breakdown in relations between RDF and PDF lads when it comes to giving each other a dig out, thankfully.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                            I think Kaiser was alluding to the reaction from PDF members to the ballhop that he says is doing the rounds in the DFTC, that the RDF(I'm assuming RDFRA) were actively trying to show the Government that there was no need for a PDF, if they focused on the RDF.

Most definitely a ballhop though, so there should be no breakdown in relations between RDF and PDF lads when it comes to giving each other a dig out, thankfully.
                            It's a ballhop but stupidity of that magnitude wouldn't be out of character for RDFRA these days.

Comment

You mean doing the job of the County councils for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                                You mean doing the job of the County councils for free.
                                More like the job of [Insert PR firm] for being human snow shovelling billboards "A government that cares".

Comment

Working...
                                X