No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you read all the amendment Acts to DA54? I'm fairly sure that there is probably some Amendment Act around 2004/05 that amended it.

Comment

• Hedge, you're part of the conspiracy to get rid of us
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure
        Are the amendments not written into the original Act itself?
        Eh, No.

I read the 2007 Amendment Act - it has language like
        5. Paragraph 161, subsection 2 - The sentence "Army......fight" is omitted and replaced with "Blah Blah Blah"
        Every now and again the Attorney General bring out a "Restatement" of the Act with all the changes in it. You have to specifically ask for a Restatement document. They are legal documents. DA54 had one in 2007.

But then a whole pile of changes happened in 2008. The 2007 document and amendments are the only ones that are legal. The Military Court brought out a Restatement in 2009 with all the recent changes but it is not a legal document and only for reference. It cannot be used in court - you must refer to the 2007 Restatement and subsequent amendments.

Edit
        Ok, my info is out of date - The Attorney General issued a new Restatement in 2010.
        Try this
        Last edited by Docman; 23 November 2012, 13:04.

Comment

• There is a Restatement that brings it up to 2003.

Defence Acts

2011 : Courts Martial stuff
          2009 : Participation in UN Missions - revision
          2007 : Changes to transfer in service corps, and revisions of charges
          2006 : Allows PDF train outside the State
          2004 : Ombudsman
          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Al View Post
            do the PDF have an issue working along side Swedish or Finnish reservists?
            Ive recently spent six months working with Finnish reservists and the vast majority where useless.

Comment

• I am furious about this crap regarding the Grat. IT IS NOT a free present for turning up.

Here is the definition, from R5 ( BTW R5 isn't restricted, its a regulation )

90. Subject to the provisions of this Section of this Part of these Regulations, members shall be
              eligible for gratuities as a measure of re-imbursement on account of losses, expenses and disabilities
              incurred by them consequent on their obligations as such.
              It has been said in the Dail several times that the Grat covers the government against many things ( imagine pension entitlement as an extreme case ). This is shafting of the worst order and whoever is doing the VFM sums in DoD has no institutional memory at all

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Is it time for the non-integrated reserve to hang up its boots??

We know that integration was has successes & failures but if the non-integrated was got rid of completely think of the savings & there was just integrated (properly equipped & trained to (close to) PDF standards):

Transport
                Rations
                Uniforms & Equipment
                Rent, maintanance, Light & Heat
                Pay & Grat
                etc

The reorg has been a disaster! - by the end of 2009 the following is supposed to have happened:
                Legislation to allow overseas service (by Dec 06)
                Overseas training (start 2007)
                Steyr programe (by Dec 07)

It would mean getting rid of 9292 non-integrated reservists.

Taughts?
                Interesting how a three year old post has turned out to be quite accurate, in some ways.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

But the unit commander is PDF.

The Act actually mentions FLR, An Fórsa Cosanta Aitiúil, An Slua Muirí.

I'm no legal eagle, so I'm probably wrong on this. But technically, we're no longer An Fórsa Cosanta Aitiúil or An Slua Muirí, nor are we the FLR. So effectively, are we not out of those classes of Reserve Defence Force?
                  Originally posted by SwiftandSure
                  Are they not conscripts? The Finns can afford for them to be useless when there's like 400,000 of them to throw into the fight.

The difference being that Reservists actually volunteer to solider.
                  On a UN mission serving under Irish command?

I believe you have discovered a flaw in the DFA S&S!

C-Q:
                  Considering an RDF brigade can't field a coy on the ground that is a weekend or week paid for the assessments what makes you think that 3 RDF Coys will be able to field a coy for a unpaid PDF ex on a weekday?

Comment

• It isn't about the money but it is the principle, even if they reduced grat that would be acceptable but nothing!!!

Comment

• Looks like you wrote the VFM kermit!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Are they not conscripts? The Finns can afford for them to be useless when there's like 400,000 of them to throw into the fight.

The difference being that Reservists actually volunteer to solider.
                        They where conscripts at some stage. After they complete their national service they all become reservists.
                        All Finnish troops that are deployed are volunteers and no conscript or reservist is forced to go.

Comment

• I see interesting changes to R5 and A18 . Both HAVE to change

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                            I think Kaiser was alluding to the reaction from PDF members to the ballhop that he says is doing the rounds in the DFTC, that the RDF(I'm assuming RDFRA) were actively trying to show the Government that there was no need for a PDF, if they focused on the RDF.

Most definitely a ballhop though, so there should be no breakdown in relations between RDF and PDF lads when it comes to giving each other a dig out, thankfully.
                            lads i tell you this much and ask a few people on this site which i wont name
                            but the rdfra did put it out
                            its fact
                            the pdf have a copy of it
                            raco new about it first . but its been passed on
                            this is a real message

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              I see interesting changes to R5 and A18 . Both HAVE to change
                              A18 ?

Medical treatment am I right?

Comment

• @Dev:
                                Firstly if you could carefully read people's posts before condescendingly dismissing things they didn't say, that would be dandy.

As for why would people show up. Perhaps because with some quality control and an end to the "shure I'm only a b word" complex, it would quickly become a qualitatively different organisation.
                                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                                X