No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you'd see a lot of officers with no jobs then - wonder would they return to the ranks like some of them are so ready to do to go overseas

Comment

i have to agree with coffee there is way too much meddling from the officers in my bn there is a serious lack of ncos because those who get the stripes get p***ed of with the way things are being run. I also think that in some units (my coy) the cadre staff interfere too much. I know they have a job to do but they should back off and let the RDF ncos do the job they got trained for. I think the cadre training sgt should train the unit ncos and then let them train the troops not train the whole plt/coy as a whole because this makes the rdf ncos redundant. Intergration is a two way thing you get out of it what you put in. How about pdf ncos accompaning 38 plts on camp and giving them training,now i know ive cintricded meself a bit there butwe did that pre reorg days and it worked a treat and our ncos got to learn that little extra and itt showed they also got contacts with the pdf bn and it helped getting notes or other training aids. Does anybody think that would work

Comment

I would suggest the PDF take control of recruit camps and 2 star camps. People on recruit camps do little more than march up and down a road for 2 weeks, and from talking to some of the people in my unit who did the 2 star camp this year it was a clusterf**k, with people not being allowed to do proper tactics because they would get their uniforms dirty. If the PDF took it over training at the early stages maybe then we could see an end to the nanny culture thats creeping in.

Comment

A couple of PDF officers and SNCOs per RDF unit on camp would be enough. The "they can't do tactics in case they get dirty" crowd tend to be RDF officers and SNCOs who have little to no grasp on reality, and don't realise that they're in a army, not a social club. Having someone with a black beret to say "pity about them getting dirty, get them into that river there Corporal" would help matters a lot.

Comment

And someone for the love of God sort out employment protection for the RDF. So finally, the lads and lassies can do all available training, courses etc. without having to worry about asking the boss for a week off here and there.

Until such protection is in place, I fear that the Reserve will keep going round in circles.

Comment

Anyway we will see on Tuesday where the Axe will fall. As part of the element of the DF that is the easiest to cut back on and costs the least, I expect it to be harsh.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I was never in the FCA/RDF

and never gave a ounce of thought into them - because they basically never concerned me

but I was a young Cpl and detailed to train an FCA cse and I was kind of blown away by

the sheer enthusaism of them- the course was probably the worse course I ever saw- couldnt

march- dress right- do tactics - run-

but it wasnt there fault they turned up week after week and the system failed them-

I was amazed at how much they wanted to do and learn and how much an effort they put into it

so after that I became an admirer of the FCA/RDF for the sheer willingness and the dedication

sadly I dont see the same admiration or even a willingness to properly utilise this resource from

the Dept-

so in truth apart from sheer loyalty and good food I cant really see why 98 % of the RDF have gone to

the Garda Reserve or the Civil Defence

Trell is right your going to get slaughtered on tueday

as I see it now and I am as far from insulting you as I could ever mean to be

but the role of the RDF is simply

1- to give a Comdt who isnt getting Lt Col a nie few bob before he retires
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

What is happening tuesday????
                  Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

The gory details of the Govt. cutbacks are announced.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Cheers
                      Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

I started this thread because it is only fair that the RDF (and the DF as a whole) accept some cuts. IMHO the DOD & the PDF are putting so many obstacles in the way of the AR that they are trying to get most of leave.

Realisitically (apart from a major war/emergency) there is no need for the AR to be as big (and yet so small in terms of active strength) as it is.

Originally posted by ollie View Post
                        the integration scheme is a good idea but only benefits a few
                        That is because it isn't being implemented as it is supposed to be

most rdf bn's are nowhere near establishment , downgrade them to companies , get rid of the deadwood and useless mouths. each rdf coy should be put on the strength of a pdf unit
                        That is exactly what is suppose to happen (apart from getting rid of the rdf bns).

and give them the job of training and maintaining their reserve element....

with proper attention and support hopefully a more effective reserve can be maintained.
                        But are the PDF units on the ground interested? Some are some aren't! Maybe if they were part of the same unit they would be and weren't just there for 21 days!

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                        The "they can't do tactics in case they get dirty" crowd tend to be RDF officers and SNCOs who have little to no grasp on reality, and don't realise that they're in a army, not a social club.
                        I agree Barry, having said that many only have 1 set of DPMs (including T-Shirt). Even without doing tactics is not good for discipline or hygiene for a soldier living in close confines with others to be wearing the same clothes for 14 or more days. That is because they aren't getting the correct issue at the correct time!

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        sadly I dont see the same admiration or even a willingness to properly utilise this resource from

the Dept-
                        I used to think it was just the Dept they are only 1 element of the problem, the military authorities (as in those with brade) are a major problem but also the average soldier (both PDF & RDF).

Comment

So could that be the decision point for the cadetships?

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            You need to ask was the Integration of the 70s productive? It was not as we know it today. I know there are a few on this site who were a part of it.
                            I know little of it but that's a good point which you raised. There are other good points raised throughout the thread.

Over the last year or so I've been steadily losing my RDF "mojo". It's for a number of reasons. Mainly the horrendous drop-off in numbers I've seen. An organisation like the RDF can do nothing without numbers.In a way it's good- the re-org has meant that a considerable amount of the dead wood has been chopped away- unfortunately the green shoots of regrowth haven't reappeared.

It's not taken seriously be the military authorities because, statutorily, and, realistically, on a day-to-day basis they can't do anything with it. For the RDF to survive it needs to develop into an organisation similar to the TA or the NG in the US. This would have attractions for the accountants as pensions would not have to be paid, and neither would full-year salaries. Of course RACO and PDFORRA wouldn be unhappy but what's the worst thing they can do? Write a strongly-worded latter? Of course, should reservists go overseas as reservists, and take casualties, that would probably mean the end of the reserve as politicians are so casualty-adverse these days.

I mentioned earlier that a lot of the dead wood has been cut away. Clearly from the amount of drinking I and others have seen here on camps, its not enough. Attitudes need to change from the top down. It's not a drinking club.

We need mandatory fitness tests. Could something be done with the Department of Health?

From what I've seen people who have been in the RDF for 10-15 years and are of SNCO rank have only done 2 courses- PNCO and Standard NCO. Why not give people like that refresher courses?

I could go on and on but these sort of topics have been debated to death here over the past few years.
                            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by fred the red View Post
                              What is happening tuesday????
                              Go Mairidís Beo

Comment

After tuesday, no matter what happens, it seems the rest of the country will be able to continue living. An Awful lot is put on hold awaiting the outcome.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X