The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clonmel is gone as an RDF location
    Gone as a military installation full stop.....

just saw whats happening to the cav reserve unit in Clonmel, I think it's terrible, why could they not have used part of the the barracks, as in Waterford.
    Bks in Waterford is a different story, not a secure location.

Have a look at the layout of Clonmel sometime, wasn't feasible.
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Out and about over the weekend. Bumped into a Cadre NCO from a Unit we do driving duties for. Had the usual sh1te talk and then some. Told me he was called in by (name/rank given) and told that he was being transferred back to X Unit PDF and that when the RDF come across he was 'to ignore them'..'they can find a phone box and amuse themselves in it for all we care'

So, as most people now know the shape of the RDF post March, 2013, how's it all going to work out? Doesn't look promising for the above Unit. If this is the general view PDF personal (those tasked with intagrateing and upskilling the RDF - PDF Unit senior officer/SNCO level) have, then the KPIs will be irrelevant.
      I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
      Who is number 1?

Comment

• Sounds like he "was" cadre, now he isn't and he has no further part to play in RDF activities.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• not surprised in the current economic climate. as an RDF member im disappointed but really, could we expect more from a force that had been continuously decimated during arguably to most positive economic decade in our nations history and when the downturn came were suddenly seen as a soft touch for even MORE cuts. Irelands non militant - "sure were neutral, arent we?" culture has been the main reason for this in my mind. breaks my heart.
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            Sounds like he "was" cadre, now he isn't and he has no further part to play in RDF activities.
            Be that as it may, my concern is, is the RDF Goose 'cooked' before we start. The person I was talking to put it like 'that's what was said to me from the top'.

Of course the master plan could be to let the PDF Lts/Cpls gagging for promotion loose on the RDF.

He still is cadre in the sense that he is dealing with the handover of the RDF unit, paperwork, files, stores, etc, etc to the PDF parent unit.
            Who is number 1?

Comment

• He is, but he has no further involvement in the running of the RDF unit whatsoever outside of ensuring stores are returned, and accounts are closed.

Talk to the officers in your unit. All should be made clear.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                Talk to the officers in your unit. All should be made clear.
                Yes, our officers have briefed us and shown us all the new structures, numbers, etc, etc.

My question is, and it's really for people in the RDF, have they heard any negative through the grapevine?

The person I was talking was quite open as to who he was talking about. He told me the name, rank and unit and when it happened. He was summoned to the office and told the above. There is such a thing as reorg on paper and reorg in reality. I've seen the paper version.
                Who is number 1?

Comment

• There will always be spanners in the works. Our best and only viable course of action is to sweep them away in a tidal wave of Gucci Soldiering.

The best thing reservists can do now is parade and in their spare time TLF (Train like F...ork), your fitness, nav and personal admin skills are all your own to develop. Obviously if you're an NCO or officer studying the available materials would also be a good idea.
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
                    There will always be spanners in the works. Our best and only viable course of action is to sweep them away in a tidal wave of Gucci Soldiering.

The best thing reservists can do now is parade and in their spare time TLF (Train like F...ork), your fitness, nav and personal admin skills are all your own to develop. Obviously if you're an NCO or officer studying the available materials would also be a good idea.
                    No argument with the above, but if the dye is cast......................
                    Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                      Be that as it may, my concern is, is the RDF Goose 'cooked' before we start. The person I was talking to put it like 'that's what was said to me from the top'.

Of course the master plan could be to let the PDF Lts/Cpls gagging for promotion loose on the RDF.

He still is cadre in the sense that he is dealing with the handover of the RDF unit, paperwork, files, stores, etc, etc to the PDF parent unit.
                      Well if there is a master plan I wish someone would tell us what it is.

If we have another week of arse-scratching I reckon there won't be too many turning up any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
                        If we have another week of arse-scratching I reckon there won't be too many turning up any more.
                        Ties in nicely with 'ignore them'.
                        Who is number 1?

Comment

• Be that as it may, my concern is, is the RDF Goose 'cooked' before we start.
                          I think it is.

Even the PDF units have their hands tied in relation to what they can do with their new found reservists.Some people were about to hit the ground running so to speak and get on with what was left to find that the higher echelons haven't made it clear to unit commanders how things are to pan out.

Nobody is willing to think outside in case it sets a trend and becomes the norm.

Won't go into specifics but lets just say courses and training programs are in a state of limbo at the moment.

Some units are extremely lucky to be twinned up with people they know and who have served with them in the past so there is already a working relations ship in place, but even this can't transcend the obstacles being put in place from above.

I get the feeling the die hards haven't left the RDF go into 'meltdown' as fast as the Army thought, but how long can good will and pigheadedness hold out in the face of officialdom and adversity.

I asked a friend of mine, why he hadn't just walked away from it, he's done his time, himself done all he could...he had considered it but feels as long as people are willing to attend he has a responsibility to be there for them.

Thats dedication.
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            ...Even the PDF units have their hands tied in relation to what they can do with their new found reservists.Some people were about to hit the ground running so to speak and get on with what was left to find that the higher echelons haven't made it clear to unit commanders how things are to pan out....
                            ... and there was me thinking that PDF unit commanders "are responsible for what their RDF elements do or fail to do" (almost word for word from the VFM report)
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Not all are like that though

I know of one unit commander that plans on using his reserve assets. The RDF want to be utilised, so that is what he plans on doing.

It will then be up to the reservist just how successful his new organisation will be

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                                Not all are like that though

I know of one unit commander that plans on using his reserve assets. The RDF want to be utilised, so that is what he plans on doing.

It will then be up to the reservist just how successful his new organisation will be
                                As do I know of similiar minded guys ,but are been hamstrung.

Its like the parameters on how the thing should look was well decided before some one worked out how to get there.....camps this year are going to be very interesting...or very boring depending on what the parent unit has in mind and how they are allowed to utilize their reserve element.

In the past it took a week to get people up top some speed to acheive a 48hrs exercise....now you have but one week in total!

Comment

Working...
                                X