The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by apod View Post
    From what I am hearing the tea drinkers have won the day again.In one unit I know of Officers who had not been seen in years have been given appointments and active lads especially ones who went integrated are SWA.Cue the SWA lads been tasked with running training by their Coy comdrs because the "real" Pl Comd hasn't/cant/wont show up then a week or two into the training programme said "real" Pl comd shows up and takes away "his" troops for more important training such as orienteering when they were training for an ex or TOET's.
    Also the old ways of doing things in some Coys have won out.One Coy I know of only cares about shooting teams.Cue everybody in the unit not on the team being used as butt party,security or pot wollopers while all the ammo for the unit is allocated to the shooting team.
    Seriously that's a joke.
    I also heard of one coy where the Coy Comd "replaced" all the people who had been appointed I.E Pln Comds,Coy Sgt etc with people from his old unit.So what would have been a mixture of faces and an all new command structure became a continuation of an old unit just under a different name. WTF are these people playing at????
    People in authority within the RDF need to wake up.The days of a uniformed shooting and orienteering club are GONE!! Unless ALL the troops are able to play ball and know their shit then the whole unit will suffer.Elitism should be a thing of the past.Get EVERYBODY back to basics an up to PDF TOET standard(not the "we do it different in my unit" way) on ALL Pln weapons.Work on passing the IT's and then make sure everybody can navigate,use a radio and put on a field dressing.Then you have solid base to build on.Unless that happens the RDF is F****D!
    Is there still even reserve competitions? Cos they won't get a look in at the PDF ones.

The end result will be they, not the Minister, or the DoD, or the PDF, will kill the last remnants of the RDF at the source. The 3 year review will happen, and everyone will agree it was a clusterfcuk, and the funding that was once for the Reserve will go to buy extra locker space for the PDF who will by now be meeting themselves coming off duty.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      Is there still even reserve competitions? Cos they won't get a look in at the PDF ones.

The end result will be they, not the Minister, or the DoD, or the PDF, will kill the last remnants of the RDF at the source. The 3 year review will happen, and everyone will agree it was a clusterfcuk, and the funding that was once for the Reserve will go to buy extra locker space for the PDF who will by now be meeting themselves coming off duty.
      and thats provided that curragh ,mckee ,athlone and haulbowline arent the only barracks left
      who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
        ...that would really make us want to work with you guys
        i'm not sure how long you've been around an Army, but one of the first things almost everybody notices about Armies is that 'likes', 'wants' and 'dislikes' play almost no part whatsoever in the day-to-day running of the place.

if regulars don't want to work with reservists the Army has a couple off 'persauders' it can use to talk them round - they are called Courts Martial and unemployment.

Comment

• there is more of one way to skin a cat if pdf do not want to work with the rdf
          i myself dont mind but my unit dont work or have a rdf unit
          i was replying to devs comment on cutting all the pdf,s money.. go back and look
          and i am round for a fair few yrs how would the army court martial a lad who does not want to or give him his ticket
          they can detail lads etc but that would be a disaster doomed to fail
          again to go back to post from a few weeks ago if the rdf goes on about the pdf,s money this is over before it starts
          Last edited by kaiser; 14 May 2013, 21:14.

Comment

• It's almost as if Dev's attitude is harmful...
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Come-quickly View Post
              It's almost as if Dev's attitude is harmful...
              it might be as this attack on pay etc comes around every couple of weeks and will only in my honest opinion cause s**t

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                Here's an idea for the single force concept, get rid of SDA, MSA, ATCP & ATCA allowances, plus a 10% basic pay cut for the PDF.

Other countries incentivise reservists the DF does the opposite.
                Stop talking such pure and utter bollocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ropebag View Post
                  i'm not sure how long you've been around an Army, but one of the first things almost everybody notices about Armies is that 'likes', 'wants' and 'dislikes' play almost no part whatsoever in the day-to-day running of the place.

if regulars don't want to work with reservists the Army has a couple off 'persauders' it can use to talk them round - they are called Courts Martial and unemployment.
                  Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                  there is more of one way to skin a cat if pdf do not want to work with the rdf
                  i myself dont mind but my unit dont work or have a rdf unit
                  i was replying to devs comment on cutting all the pdf,s money.. go back and look
                  and i am round for a fair few yrs how would the army court martial a lad who does not want to or give him his ticket
                  they can detail lads etc but that would be a disaster doomed to fail
                  again to go back to post from a few weeks ago if the rdf goes on about the pdf,s money this is over before it starts
                  Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                  it might be as this attack on pay etc comes around every couple of weeks and will only in my honest opinion cause s**t
                  I'm not willing this to fail, far from it. I believe it has been set up to fail.

Say for example, the BSM puts the details up on the notice board. That is only any use if you are there to ready it before the time you are suppose to report for duty, if you have the correct kit and most importantly if you are available.

For far too long the FCA/RDF has been looked down on and this will create enemies in some parts.

My belief is that the increased grat should have been linked to medicals & ITs (assuming the enablers were inplace) and x amount of unpaid duties because at least you were providing a return for investment.

The DOD/MA didn't recognise that RDF personnel doing duties on camp should get SDA because they were "training" mandays. They actually got rid of the security mandays a few years ago, in order to prevent reservists doing duties. The last time I heard of RDF personnel doing duties in my nearest barracks was about 10 years ago. There was even a RDF syllabus developed for security duties!

I am seriously the only one here that thinks, equal pay for equal work?

At least in the past you got gratuity to go a very small way to help offset the costs of being a reservist. No one forced us to join we volunteered (as did every member of the PDF). If you have access to it look at the amount of RDF SO appointment, some at the same rank as the unit OCs. That is where grat money went.

I wander what James Connolly would think of this?
                  Last edited by DeV; 14 May 2013, 21:55.

Comment

• We had situations in the last few years where reservists volunteered to help with ATCA tasks without looking for any reward and were turned away because they weren't needed.

Is an extra pair of hands when for example shoveling snow or filling sandbags a bad thing? Does it require training?

We weren't allowed do it in the past.

Now we have to do it to justify our existance, and if you don't do the necessary ATCA / duties (VFM recommened unarmed) / etc etc we will be discharged!

What if there is no snow, you aren't available the day your detailed for a duty etc etc

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                      The Enfield is as it was issued The others were never military firearms
                      Would not the cz750 be also classed as a mil/le version of a sporting rifle(550).

Comment

• Folks. Please play the ball and not the man. Settle down . Go look at mildly NSFW sites like http://redditlist.com/nsfw-top.php for light relief before posting that guaranteed forum-winner post, and remember

"Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• May I direct the attention of the jury to the "gonewild" sub-reddit. It contains many "art" photographs and .gifs, predominantly of comely young ladies. Nubile damsels, if you will. If it pleases the court, a comparison will now be made between this site and the "lovely girls" thread so often frequented by similar "art" images and .gifs.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

• Basically the reserve can't move forward when some senior nco's and ossifers are coming out with shite like:

"back in nineteen and eighty six..."

"when I was here last it was the FN/.303"

"no weemin back in my day"

"were ya down the mess? Back in my day I was in the mess for three solid days"

"here, d'ya remember that time we fell outa the mess onto parade? Some sore heads that day"

Fcuk off back to the eighteenth century.

But similarly, the RDF and PDF won't get along until a bit of respect comes the other way from some quarters of the PDF. Not referring to us as sandbags to recruits all through basic training would be a start. It's a small issue but it sets an impression that recruits will carry on. Granted, the RDF does need to do a lot to earn respect too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now, it's two-way traffic folks. We can't expect to get any respect until we've earned it but we have to be given the chance.
                            I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                            Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                            Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                            And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                            With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                            He put a bullet through his brain.
                            And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                            Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                            Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                            The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• "back in nineteen and eighty six..."

"when I was here last it was the FN/.303"

"no weemin back in my day"

"were ya down the mess? Back in my day I was in the mess for three solid days"

"here, d'ya remember that time we fell outa the mess onto parade? Some sore heads that day"
                              I joined in '86 ! In a lot of places in the DF ( e.g. Renmore, for example, last time I was doing mil stuff there it WAS the FN ) aaand it wouldn't be the military without sometimes drinking a light sherry before dinner.

Key point from yours : many people think the tail should wag the dog.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                                I joined in '86 ! In a lot of places in the DF ( e.g. Renmore, for example, last time I was doing mil stuff there it WAS the FN ) aaand it wouldn't be the military without sometimes drinking a light sherry before dinner.

Key point from yours : many people think the tail should wag the dog.
                                I think my point wasn't clear enough. Apologies!

I was trying to say that we can't move forward because some people are stuck in nineteen and eighty six. I got asked by the same person who made most of the above comments "what I thought of the 'new army'" and when I said I was looking forward to a bit of a challenge, he rolled his eyes and walked away. All well and good reminiscing but when one wants it to go back to the "good old days" we're going to have a problem
                                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                                He put a bullet through his brain.
                                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                                The hell where youth and laughter go.