The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
    Morpheus - no need to shout. I'm relaying the story as I was told it by the PTL. It was a request to use the shower facilities, not the weights or other equipment.

TD - again no need to shout. I have no recollection of you telling me that story. But if you did it's probably filed away with all your other "Sgt in the Sqn" stories
    Stop talking bollocks. I never told you a "Sgt in the Sqn" story...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

C-A, have a look at the some of the most prolific posters on this site - they are not current members of the RDF and therefore will have no input into the future of the Reserve. In any event it's only a handful of RDF members that post on this site.

Your points are well made. Yes, the RDF does need a big change. But the PDF has to get involved in the nitty/gritty of how the RDF works in order to effect the change.

You mentioned the gym. As a by the way one of the NCOs in my Unit did the RDF PTL. He wanted to start Unit training for the ITs, went to get use of the gym and was told by the officer in charge of the gym: "RDF, no way". So to avoid all the nonsense we have IT sessions in a public park with no hours accruing.

I agree with you re: the PDF getting involved with the nitty gritty of the RDF and its runnings. But I see no reason why that won't happen.

Re: prolific posters on this site; That is true, but some posters who have posted the type of manure that I've referred to are still active members, or at least have in the relative past claimed to be. Posters on this site, whether members of the DF or not, do have a large influence on the future members/young members of the reserve. These threads are followed by quite a lot of young people both in the reserve, and by young people hopeful to some day be in the reserve. From what I've seen, a lot of their opinions are already being formed and influenced by the absolute drivel that gets spouted on online forums both on this site and others about the RDF.

Re: The gym. Volunteer members of a volunteer part time force should not have to depend on free gym membership and access. The RDF lads in the DF gym debate is a whole other story, but shouldn't be diverted from this thread as it is pertinent to the future of the Army Reserve.

Originally posted by Saab View Post
      C-A thats a very interesting post that makes a lot of assumptions.

I have yet to meet a single member of the PDF that thinks they need a reserve.
      How many have you directly asked? I have asked and gotten affirmative answers at unit CO level down to the level of PDF soldiers and NCO's. You'd be surprised how many regular soldiers and officers actually understand and recognize the purpose and necessity of the Reserve. Whether your average PDF guy thinks we need a reserve or not, the decisions and knowledge of those who make the macro level decisions in this army are not influenced by the average PDF guy.

Originally posted by Saab View Post
      Also in my unit all the posts have been filled with the same old faces. To down.
      The same guys that you only see on camp.
      The same guys that never go NE because it's their mates running the show.
      The same PDF guys, although no longer called cadre, are still hanging around doing the same what ever they do.

Nothing has changed, so why do you expect things to be different next year?
      Because change is necessary and as long as the majority of members don't spend their time questioning the future and just crack on with what they know they need to do to make it survive and change all across the board, it will.

Re: the same guys you only see on camp etc etc. Remember, fitness testing will be brought in. How fit are your units wasters?
      Last edited by Chasseur-Alpin; 25 May 2013, 21:00.
      SWEAT SAVES BLOOD

Comment

• The Defence Forces needs a reserve
        Depends on who you ask!

In the opinion of the reservist, the army needs reserve, ask the opinion of 99% of the PDF and they will tell you the can manage without it.

Those in senior ranks will pay lip service to it, but would be glad to be shot of it if it were left up to them

They toe the party line.

You will have a reserve for 3 years, unless it proves indispensible, it'll be gone.

Better get your thinking caps on.

And btw, this is the opinion of a former reservist who still maintains contacts with former colleagues who keep him in touch with where they are at now!
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Chasseur-Alpin View Post
          IHow many have you directly asked?
          Only about 60. The highest rank being an Lt Col.

None of them were saying get rid of the reserve but then again none of them were saying they need the reserve.

the decisions and knowledge of those who make the macro level decisions in this army are not influenced by the average PDF guy.
          I agree with you there but lets say General whoever makes the policy decision to use all RDF for weekend bks duties.
          Order goes out and everyone agrees that "where available" RDF will be used.
          But when it gets to unit level the duties are filled with PDF guy because thats the way it is.

Policy Vs Reality!!!!

How fit are your units wasters?
          Well now if you are asking are they as fit as a 25 year old then no.
          But are they fit enough to make the minimum requirement for their age. Probably so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            Stop talking bollocks. I never told you a "Sgt in the Sqn" story...
            You're dead right there TD, it wasn't one S.I.T.S.S. but several, all of the same genre. He was either "a gasman", a great man to drink porter" or "a big GAA man" or invariably all three rolled into one. You never copped the expression "another dose of the SITSS"?
            Last edited by The Prisoner; 27 May 2013, 17:01.
            I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
            Who is number 1?

Comment

You're dead right there TD, it wasn't one S.I.T.S.S. but several, all of the same genre. He was either "a gasman", a great man to drink porter" or "a big GAA man" or invariably all three rolled into one. You never copped the expression "another dose of the SITSS"?
              You're giving me a dose of the SITTS - oops, left a "H" out there...
              You're not a bad man for the oul yarns yourself, Prisoner...
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

You're giving me a dose of the SITTS - oops, left a "H" out there...
                You're not a bad man for the oul yarns yourself, Prisoner...
                Well TD, it was suggested at that the time that a "H" might be better suited but the "bruthers" decided that it would be better entertainment to differentiate between your SITSS and the rest of the drivel you come out with
                I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                Who is number 1?

Comment

Well TD, it was suggested at that the time that a "H" might be better suited but the "bruthers" decided that it would be better entertainment to differentiate between your SITSS and the rest of the drivel you come out with
                  Tell the bruthers I said hello...

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    Don't have it to hand but I think the newer discharge cert (see Admin Instr R5 c2005) just has dates of attestation and discharge.

AFAIK however it has reason for discharge, in this case it would say something along the lines of 2 years on non-effective list (at least that is the current position).

Correct;

Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                      Correct;

Not YOUR LA89, I trust ?

Comment

Not YOUR LA89, I trust ?
                        Nyet I've already logged a few cases of 4 hours when I've been in Uniform for over 12! It's a friend of mine's. He was so happy to receive the cert he framed it.
                        Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Just noticed....25 years later...my LA 89 , back page remains unsigned.....Can I claim back pay?
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Not YOUR LA89, I trust ?
                            It's an AF42 RDF

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              It's an AF42 RDF
                              Used to be an LA89, wasn't it ?

Comment

• PDF get LA89

Comment

Working...
                                X