Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
    PDF get LA89
    Ahhh, the instr on my Std NCO course was telling porkies so....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      Just noticed....25 years later...my LA 89 , back page remains unsigned.....Can I claim back pay?
      ditto!
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Used to be an LA89, wasn't it

It's an AF42 RDF
        I have both!!! and my discharge from ASM.. papers are at my parents.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• 226. Deputy Ciarán Lynch asked the Minister for Defence the changes that are planned regarding the annual fitness test for the Reserve Defence Forces; if any changes proposed for 2014 have been brought forward; where RDF personnel are in full time employment if it is feasible to arrange the fitness test outside of normal working hours; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [31264/13]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Alan Shatter): I am advised by the military authorities that the Defence Forces will undertake a fitness evaluation/survey of Reserve Defence Forces (RDF) personnel in the third quarter of 2013. PE Testing Officers will complete this survey of personnel from 1 Brigade, 2 Brigade, the Defence Forces Training Centre, and the Naval Service, mainly utilising RDF training camps.

Following completion of the evaluation/survey, revised fitness programmes based on the Defence Forces Annual Fitness Test (which comprises a 3.2km Run, Push-Ups, Sit-Ups and a 10 km terrain walk) will be developed for RDF personnel. These revised programmes will be distributed to every Unit in late 2013 and will also be available through other Defence Forces information mediums for planning and preparation purposes.

The military authorities advise that for 2014 RDF personnel will be permitted to achieve a reduced grade in a fitness test. The reduced grade for 2014 testing will be based on the results of the fitness evaluation/ survey conducted throughout 2013. RDF personnel will have one (1) year to train for the Defence Forces fitness tests. It is planned that in 2015 all RDF personnel will complete the Annual Fitness test as per Defence Forces Regulations. In previous years only RDF Personnel proceeding on specified military courses had to complete the fitness test. Fitness tests will take place during RDF planned training.

The individual Reservist is responsible for achieving the physical fitness standards appropriate to his/her rank on his/her own time. While time or facilities will not be made available to the Reservist for this purpose during training periods, Defence Forces leisure and sports facilities will be available to RDF Personnel during programmed recreational periods while on annual camp (at the discretion of the Reservist’s Command Officer).
          Allah ****ing akbar, the ****ing blimps we've inherited from an arty unit combined with the few we've left already make me ashamed to be in the RDF. Not happening fast enough at all.
          Last edited by The real Jack; 29 June 2013, 23:47. Reason: "spelling"
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• At last, fitness tests on the way. They've been a long time coming....The bodyshape of a significant minority of reservists has done the organisation no favours up to now.
            The way i see it, its another step towards making the RDF more professional. The lead in time is certainly generous so there should be no excuses...

Comment

• Hi all
              as someone who is a member of the reserve for quite a long time i feel quite offended by the way some people in this discussion talk about the older members of the RDF. i have served for over 30 years , including integrated reserve ( which i might add most of the people commenting on this thread never volunteered for). I spent my time in the Mess having pints and making great friends i also completed all tasks assigned to me over the years never went sick with hang overs . I am not trying to blow smoke up my own ass but just remember all you young bucks out there. that it was me and people like me through out the country who were prepared to do what was ordered of us at anytime for the good of the state

Comment

• Originally posted by abhaile View Post
                Hi all
                as someone who is a member of the reserve for quite a long time i feel quite offended by the way some people in this discussion talk about the older members of the RDF. i have served for over 30 years , including integrated reserve ( which i might add most of the people commenting on this thread never volunteered for). I spent my time in the Mess having pints and making great friends i also completed all tasks assigned to me over the years never went sick with hang overs . I am not trying to blow smoke up my own ass but just remember all you young bucks out there. that it was me and people like me through out the country who were prepared to do what was ordered of us at anytime for the good of the state
                fair enough but the older members of the reserve also have to realise that they (and the org) have to move with the times and to stop resisting positive developments like fitness tests and further integration.
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by abhaile View Post
                  that it was me and people like me through out the country who were prepared to do what was ordered of us at anytime for the good of the state
                  Are you for real? Thanks for protecting us from the russian paratroopers.

Nobody mentioned your age or your weeks of service if you're a fat **** who's useless you should have been got rid of years ago.

"
                  Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Plenty of people here with long service , border , integrated reserve etc. 27 years soon. Done IT's in 5 of last 7 years for courses.
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• i still think the whole things has just put its head down on the executioners block and he is getting ready to raise the axe
                      who threw the smoke in the van

Comment

• You do what you can...
                        but how does a one deal with situations whereby 8 out of a platoon might be attending training and yet none of the rest bother.
                        No call, no text, no email or anything else to say that they wont be up or if they are/arent interested in / available to train.
                        Whats the corrective action for that one?

Sure im told you can track attendances and put people onto non - effective lists etc and ive also heard that unless you attend 32 hrs parade night training hours this year that you are either non effective or are going to be dismissed to make way for recruits.

I hope its the latter because some of the current members in the RDF have the wrong attitude yet hang on in there like a bad case of syphilis. Burn the f**kers I say and go through the next year with a couple of platoons of recruits. train them the RIGHT way. Ensure that NCOs selected for instructing the recruit courses are VETTED and qualified by the BTCs.
                        (I know some brutal instructors who dont even know WHAT powerpoint is for example - not that its the most important tool in the world)

Teach these recruits self discipline, self respect, importance of what they do, remove the bullsh*t they have to deal with as much as possible but let them know that "on the bus off the bus" happens all of us and to suck it up and deal with it when it does occur. make the training interesting, relevant, fun when you can, but ALWAYS serious.

Youd be amazed at how many lessons never mention words like - So that you the soldier can navigate to and through an area where people who actually want to kill you f**king dead are operating, I want you to be able to survive a firefight, to complete the mission, carry mission essential equipment as well as your survival essentials, operate WITHOUT AN NCO HOLDING YOUR F**KING HAND in a battlefield, ensure your admin in the field means you dont become a casualty and know how to DEAL with a casualty, know how to navigate so confidently that when you are leading a patrol, your nav skills are such that you only think about the mission and the AO you are in and not how to use a f**king map and compass. constantly remain at the top level of effectiveness, work to keep your section at operational capability on the ground --- and other military terms, WHERE IS THE WARRIOR ETHOS.

its as if instructors FORGET they are training warriors, fighters, killers, leaders, followers, team members, responsible individuals, etc (laugh if you want but its that attitude thats needed, not were in a goddamned social club and training f**king babies to become a poxy braindead whorde who carry pyro and need constant spoon feeding). Im lucky enough to have had possibly the best RDF infantry instructors over the years, but from time to time some of the lessons ive sat through or witnessed had been so far removed from a military theme as to leave me wondering if I HAD stumbled into the local scout den.

rant ended.
                        Last edited by morpheus; 4 July 2013, 10:26.
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                          You do what you can...
                          but how does a one deal with situations whereby 8 out of a platoon might be attending training and yet none of the rest bother.
                          No call, no text, no email or anything else to say that they wont be up or if they are/arent interested in / available to train.
                          Whats the corrective action for that one?

Sure im told you can track attendances and put people onto non - effective lists etc and ive also heard that unless you attend 32 hrs parade night training hours this year that you are either non effective or are going to be dismissed to make way for recruits.

I hope its the latter because some of the current members in the RDF have the wrong attitude yet hang on in there like a bad case of syphilis. Burn the f**kers I say and go through the next year with a couple of platoons of recruits. train them the RIGHT way. Ensure that NCOs selected for instructing the recruit courses are VETTED and qualified by the BTCs.
                          (I know some brutal instructors who dont even know WHAT powerpoint is for example - not that its the most important tool in the world)

Teach these recruits self discipline, self respect, importance of what they do, remove the bullsh*t they have to deal with as much as possible but let them know that "on the bus off the bus" happens all of us and to suck it up and deal with it when it does occur. make the training interesting, relevant, fun when you can, but ALWAYS serious.

Youd be amazed at how many lessons never mention words like - So that you the soldier can navigate to and through an area where people who actually want to kill you f**king dead are operating, I want you to be able to survive a firefight, to complete the mission, carry mission essential equipment as well as your survival essentials, operate WITHOUT AN NCO HOLDING YOUR F**KING HAND in a battlefield, ensure your admin in the field means you dont become a casualty and know how to DEAL with a casualty, know how to navigate so confidently that when you are leading a patrol, your nav skills are such that you only think about the mission and the AO you are in and not how to use a f**king map and compass. constantly remain at the top level of effectiveness, work to keep your section at operational capability on the ground --- and other military terms, WHERE IS THE WARRIOR ETHOS.

its as if instructors FORGET they are training warriors, fighters, killers, leaders, followers, team members, responsible individuals, etc (laugh if you want but its that attitude thats needed, not were in a goddamned social club and training f**king babies to become a poxy braindead whorde who carry pyro and need constant spoon feeding). Im lucky enough to have had possibly the best RDF infantry instructors over the years, but from time to time some of the lessons ive sat through or witnessed had been so far removed from a military theme as to leave me wondering if I HAD stumbled into the local scout den.

rant ended.
                          Take a bow.
                          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                          He put a bullet through his brain.
                          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Why don't the wannabe warriors on here just join the PDF if the RDF is so bad?

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                              Are you for real? Thanks for protecting us from the russian paratroopers.

Nobody mentioned your age or your weeks of service if you're a fat **** who's useless you should have been got rid of years ago.

"
                              Thanks for the reply and just to answer your query no i am not a fat**** and yes i was prepared to do anything even defend against russian paratroopers! Because i love my country and would have done anything for my country , I have passed ITS recently and even at my age am willing to do what i can for a force which I have become disillusioned with, you on the other hand are typical of the Super Trooper attitude who has probably purchased everything he goes out on the ground with and then finds he cant carry it and probaly has to get the "fat **** to carry it for him ( this one would leave it buried in the ground for you to collect it on your own time ). Dont make assumptions and dont be an insulting little P**** there are a lot of older guys on this forum with more service and time dedicated to the service than the time you think you spent to become a " Jedi warrior " . This is my last reply to this post I am not going to get into a P****** contestt with you so would suggest unless you have something costuctive to say shut the F*** up.

Comment

• Originally posted by bunny shooter View Post
                                Why don't the wannabe warriors on here just join the PDF if the RDF is so bad?
                                because they can't.

nobody can join the ONH until they start recruiting.

until the recruitment window is open, they will have to join the armies of other nations if they want to become professional full-time soldiers.
                                RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X