The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    Because defending Ireland isn't a full time occupation.

...and it doesn't pay enough.
    Funny.Nobody told me my job had gone part time.
    My pay is just fine thanks.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
      Funny.Nobody told me my job had gone part time.
      My pay is just fine thanks.
      You don't need to come in Mondays and Fridays anymore

Comment

• Can anyone offer aid as to why military fitness for RDF is not allowed during training time ?

Per the Minister

The individual Reservist is responsible for achieving the physical fitness standards appropriate to his/her rank on his/her own time. While time or facilities will not be made available to the Reservist for this purpose during training periods, Defence Forces leisure and sports facilities will be available to RDF Personnel during programmed recreational periods while on annual camp (at the discretion of the Reservist’s Command Officer).
        ( See the PQ on the other thread )

Military fitness/Stamina/constitution is vitally important in my opinion, and while you can tell a man to train up to run fast I need him to march long distances in a platoon with a full pack as well in all weather - the Military side of it.

Opinions ?
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by abhaile View Post
          Thanks for the reply and just to answer your query no i am not a fat**** and yes i was prepared to do anything even defend against russian paratroopers! Because i love my country and would have done anything for my country , I have passed ITS recently and even at my age am willing to do what i can for a force which I have become disillusioned with, you on the other hand are typical of the Super Trooper attitude who has probably purchased everything he goes out on the ground with and then finds he cant carry it and probaly has to get the "fat **** to carry it for him ( this one would leave it buried in the ground for you to collect it on your own time ). Dont make assumptions and dont be an insulting little P**** there are a lot of older guys on this forum with more service and time dedicated to the service than the time you think you spent to become a " Jedi warrior " . This is my last reply to this post I am not going to get into a P****** contestt with you so would suggest unless you have something costuctive to say shut the F*** up.
          Brilliant.

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            Can anyone offer aid as to why military fitness for RDF is not allowed during training time ?

Per the Minister

Military fitness/Stamina/constitution is vitally important in my opinion, and while you can tell a man to train up to run fast I need him to march long distances in a platoon with a full pack as well in all weather - the Military side of it.

Opinions ?
            Probably a case of them thinking that as much programme time as possible should be used for lessons etc. rather than PT. It's not exactly right but with limited training time, they've probably made the decision that PT is something that can be done on your own time, lessons and what not aren't.

That's not to say a man with a vision can't slot a patrolling lesson into the programme or an admin in the field lesson, with a walk required to get to a particular field. There's plenty of ways to make sure troops get out walking with weight on their back during programme time without having to specifically put down "Loaded march" on the programme.

Comment

• Originally posted by abhaile View Post
              Thanks for the reply and just to answer your query no i am not a fat**** and yes i was prepared to do anything even defend against russian paratroopers! Because i love my country and would have done anything for my country ,
              I have passed ITS recently and even at my age am willing to do what i can for a force which I have become disillusioned with, you on the other hand are typical of the Super Trooper attitude who has probably purchased everything he goes out on the ground with and then finds he cant carry it and probaly has to get the "fat **** to carry it for him ( this one would leave it buried in the ground for you to collect it on your own time ).
              1. I dont remember asking if you're a cake fiend.
              2. I passed my ITs last year and haven't had an opportunity to take them this year.
              3. I am more than capable of carrying my gear out on the ground.
              4. At what point did I comment on the size of your waistband or your ability to do your job?

My only point was ITs should be enforced across the board, there is no need for an easier RDF fitness tests as we should be able to do the same job and carry the same gear. My unit is now overrun with incompetent overweight NCOs that are leeching money from the DF that could be better spent on recruits who can pass a medical & ITs.

Originally posted by abhaile View Post
              Dont make assumptions and dont be an insulting little P**** there are a lot of older guys on this forum with more service and time dedicated to the service than the time you think you spent to become a " Jedi warrior " . This is my last reply to this post I am not going to get into a P****** contestt with you so would suggest unless you have something costuctive to say shut the F*** up.
              I think you need to take your own advice.
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Can anyone offer aid as to why military fitness for RDF is not allowed during training time ?

Per the Minister

Opinions ?
                Back in the PTL days, we used to go for runs in the mornings (daily). With the expanding pool of Reserve PTLs, is there any reason why a run after hours could not be done 2-3 evenings during a week's FTT ? That or Murderball, nothing like it to get the pulse going....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• The RDF fitness test will be??? dadada..........................
                  The PDF one!!!!
                  Exact same test.No change.Dispensation given in 2014 in that RDF members will only have to get a minimum of a grade 5 in the test overall to pass.
                  In 2015 its grade 4 to pass minimum.Same as us.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Why don't the wannabe warriors on here just join the PDF if the RDF is so bad
                    I think that statement needs to be read into as opposed to one liners as replies.

If reservist are so negative about the RDF, what do they expect to find in the PDF.

Without belittling the PDF, it can be a very lack lustre job, 52 weeks of tedium interspersed with some experiences that can not be matched in any other job and for that moment its the best job in the world.

Its not well paid by any means, the hours can be crap, and depending on your role , position, station, it can be soul destroying.

Its not every ones cup of tea.Its not the RDF full time, nor is it endless monotony, its what you make it but as I said the RDF only touches on aspects of the big picture.

From my own time from the out side looking in I thought I'd never get there, but when I did my own insights were so blinkered I never knew what I had been looking at.

I was so overawed I nearly forgot that I should have been enjoying it more that I did.

But I don't think I would have settled into a 'normal ' life unless I had done it. I would like to have had a second crack at it when I was a bit older and wiser, but didn't want to change life again , at that stage the insight I had gained made the RDF enough for me to keep the candle burning as such.

When the candle finally went out I almost became anti DF and had to restablish a realistic relationship with the DF.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• hpt....................you're on the right line and where I was hoping someone would take my question

Some lads here seem to think the RDF should be 'action' 24/7. You need to learn to walk before you can run. In my experience a LOT of the RDF can't crawl, never mind walk, compared to the PDF.

There's a quote along the lines of "war is 99% boredom & 1% sheer terror" ...................... for me the RDF was approx. 50% sheer boredom, 40% sheer brilliant & 10% a pain in da ass & I loved every minute of every part
                      Last edited by bunny shooter; 5 July 2013, 21:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        The RDF fitness test will be??? dadada..........................
                        The PDF one!!!!
                        Exact same test.No change.Dispensation given in 2014 in that RDF members will only have to get a minimum of a grade 5 in the test overall to pass.
                        Then why per Admino01/13 is there "fitness assesments" being conducted, there should just be a fitness briefing and then see you next year.

I honestly do not understand why Grade 5 should be good enough in 2014, there's 6-8 months for people to get fit/**** off. It may mean only a minute difference in the run/whatever but it's a wasted year and wasted money on bods who'll have from now till 2015 to get a grade 4. If we had to get grade 4 from jan-march next year the dead wood that would be mulched by april/may would open up a huge amount of promotions and recruits. Shatter is smart enough with his advisers to come up with a workaround for getting your GP to sign the medical form.

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                          Then why per Admino01/13 is there "fitness assesments" being conducted, there should just be a fitness briefing and then see you next year.

I honestly do not understand why Grade 5 should be good enough in 2014, there's 6-8 months for people to get fit/**** off. It may mean only a minute difference in the run/whatever but it's a wasted year and wasted money on bods who'll have from now till 2015 to get a grade 4. If we had to get grade 4 from jan-march next year the dead wood that would be mulched by april/may would open up a huge amount of promotions and recruits. Shatter is smart enough with his advisers to come up with a workaround for getting your GP to sign the medical form.
                          Failure to pass ITs is not a reason to discharge someone. All it means is they cannot go on courses etc.

Within the current A10 or R5 any way. Maybe the nes R 5 will change that but as it stands units have to operate withing the regulations.

What it could do is to prevent a unit commander from giving a recommendation for reengagement

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                            Failure to pass ITs is not a reason to discharge someone. All it means is they cannot go on courses etc.

Within the current A10 or R5 any way. Maybe the nes R 5 will change that but as it stands units have to operate withing the regulations.

What it could do is to prevent a unit commander from giving a recommendation for reengagement
                            Fair enough, but if R5/A10 was amended to make getting your ITs a requirement to stay effective bods could be posted non effective after ITs time. Then feck off letters could be posted out with a tick the box option, otherwise they'd be discharged in the normal timeframe.

I need to stop dreaming!

Comment

• "In the normal time frame" ..... I am aware of cases where it took 4 years to get rid of someone arrested and charged to distribution of ecstacy, of cases where people have repeat offenders wkth several dozen offences and it taking 3 years to administer their discharge.

The higher up the CoC the authorisation for discharge goes the more administratively difficult it can be. That is before a barrister and a high court judge get involved, which I can guarantee you will happen

Comment

Per the Minister

Opinions ?
                                +1
                                No reason why they could not programme it for OPT

What about courses that are even more physically robust (eg Std NCOs Cse) that include battle PT.

It's an absolute joke, while the bulk of physical training will have do be done in private time, there's no reason why they couldn't tell units to run complusory PT OPT, it's great for bonding too!

What makes it even more of a joke is that sone courses not appear as if they will be run over the PDF working week.

Originally posted by apod View Post
                                The RDF fitness test will be??? dadada..........................
                                The PDF one!!!!
                                This is what I've heard on the grapevine but nothing official!

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post

I think it's fair to give people a chance to increase their fitness over time (but tell us what the standard is so we can train towards it). Do you think that ITs were introduced and it was pass/out. No they weren't. And will RDF members be a me to do the health related tests like the PDF?!

Originally posted by midnight oil View Post

You haven't seen the AdminO then, pass or out!

Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
                                Fair enough, but if R5/A10 was amended to make getting your ITs a requirement to stay effective bods could be posted non effective after ITs time. Then feck off letters could be posted out with a tick the box option, otherwise they'd be discharged in the normal timeframe.

I need to stop dreaming!
                                There is no non-effective list anymore!
                                Pass / discharge

Comment

Working...
                                X