No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You haven't seen the AdminO then, pass or out!
    Yes but until such time as the is reflected in a DFR it isnt worth anything. AIs and certainly adminos are not worth diddly squat when it comes to this sort of thing.

I can also guarantee you that there will be someone that doesnt pass and takes a High Court Injunction on their discharge and therefore slows the whole thing down for all

Comment

• Just on one point above. In my personal experience several RDF have been placed on HRFA by Med/BPEO in the last few years.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
        Yes but until such time as the is reflected in a DFR it isnt worth anything. AIs and certainly adminos are not worth diddly squat when it comes to this sort of thing.

I can also guarantee you that there will be someone that doesnt pass and takes a High Court Injunction on their discharge and therefore slows the whole thing down for all
        One would assume they are working on R5

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          just on one point above. In my personal experience several rdf have been placed on hrfa by med/bpeo in the last few years.
          hrfa?
          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Health related fitness assessment - used if you can't do 1 or more elements do to injury etc

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
              hrfa?
              Aka fat camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                Well, when things like Border Allowance still exist, the "something has to give" line really doesn't stand up to any real scrutiny.
                While "Border Allowance" ( unless i am mistaken B.A. was already a great saving for the Government bean counters, as the pittance its always been was paid in lieu of Border personnel getting a blanket payment per month in lie of Security duties done, regardless of how many, as compared to those not on Border duty allowance getting paid for each and every duty per month.

In recent times in the 28th Bn alone Rockhill House closed, Lifford closed, leaving only Finner Camp in the 28th Bn, since that time, men have left the 28th Bn so effectively they are off "Border Allowance," I have heard others will soon be following them as the distance of the daily commute from Letterkenny & Lifford to Finner is putting stress on them and with rising fuel costs not much change out of the B.A. allowance, no doubt other border Battalions have seen the same happen to their members.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                  While "Border Allowance" ( unless i am mistaken B.A. was already a great saving for the Government bean counters, as the pittance its always been was paid in lieu of Border personnel getting a blanket payment per month in lie of Security duties done, regardless of how many, as compared to those not on Border duty allowance getting paid for each and every duty per month.

In recent times in the 28th Bn alone Rockhill House closed, Lifford closed, leaving only Finner Camp in the 28th Bn, since that time, men have left the 28th Bn so effectively they are off "Border Allowance," I have heard others will soon be following them as the distance of the daily commute from Letterkenny & Lifford to Finner is putting stress on them and with rising fuel costs not much change out of the B.A. allowance, no doubt other border Battalions have seen the same happen to their members.

Connaught Stranger.
                  As I understand it, it is personal to the holder. So even if they are transferred to Cork they still get it. In fairness, there are people from McKee who have been posted to Athlone in the PDF reorg.

With the reorg and barracks closures it is unlikely that many personnel in receipt of the allowance are likely to be doing 2 or more duties a week (that's what they would have to be doing for it to provide VFM).
                  Last edited by DeV; 6 July 2013, 23:13.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    As I understand it, it is personal to the holder. So even if they are transferred to Cork they still get it. In fairness, there are people from McKee who have been posted to Athlone in the PDF reorg.

With the reorg and barracks closures it is unlikely that many personnel in receipt of the allowance are likely to be doing 2 or more duties a week (that's what they would have to be doing for it to provide VFM).
                    You might well be right, but in my time, any longer away from the Border area than 21 days saw the Border Allowance stopped,
                    until you were back on strength of the Border Unit, rotating groups such as heli-crew, EOD, Sigs etc..etc.. were on subsistence allowance.

But, again its always been a set pittance, paid in lieu to cover duties: i.e. Guards, Patrols, etc.. etc.. and being posted in a Border Unit.

Trying to use the "B.A." in a comparison with regards the economic situation the Defence Forces find themselves in when compared to the entire financial outlay of running the Reserve Defence Force is very misleading, as IMHO the figure of spending on "B.A." for what it is, is miniscule compared to the R.D.F. budget.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

• Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                      Trying to use the "B.A." in a comparison with regards the economic situation the Defence Forces find themselves in when compared to the entire financial outlay of running the Reserve Defence Force is very misleading, as IMHO the figure of spending on "B.A." for what it is, is miniscule compared to the R.D.F. budget.

Connaught Stranger.
                      Depends on what you consider the RDF budget to be.

Considering that 70% of it goes to members of the PDF.

Border Allowance costs around €4 million annual, RDF mandays cost €2.4 million.

Comment

• There are many things the RDF should be trying to do. However I believe that a soldier's fitness comes under personal admin, particularly for a part-timer. It's up to the soldier to make sure he is fit for duty when called upon, and you don't need military training facilities to ensure you can march over land, endure and carry the weight required.

Comment

• Originally posted by expat01 View Post
                          There are many things the RDF should be trying to do. However I believe that a soldier's fitness comes under personal admin, particularly for a part-timer. It's up to the soldier to make sure he is fit for duty when called upon, and you don't need military training facilities to ensure you can march over land, endure and carry the weight required.
                          For example:

Reservists are legally prevented for example practicing for the 10km in their own time with issue boots, uniform and kit. If they can get the issue kit to do the test!

There will be problems with access to medicals.

I 100% agree with the own time fitness but on training time it should be organised as well in other to improve espirit de corps (as well as fitness). It also means leaders can see their subordinates level of fitness.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                            Reservists are legally prevented for example practicing for the 10km in their own time with issue boots, uniform and kit. If they can get the issue kit to do the test!
                            Why on earth would anyone need to practice walking 10km?

Comment

• PT should be on the program for FTT, but it is a personal responsibility too. One week of PT on summer camp isnt going to get anyone fit to fight. And while walking 10km is a piece of piss, if Reservists want to be able to walk 10km with CEMO and still have the energy to put in an assault and march 10km back, that takes conditioning. Something that's difficult to achieve when you're not personally issued CEMO or allowed to wear your issued boots outside of training.

What bothers me though is that I haven't had the opportunity to go on Ex in about a year now. For me, being on Ex is my way of gauging my fitness for purpose. I find afterwards it motivates me to work on where I feel I'm weakest. When there's no ex on, it's easy to lose focus. I'll do less weighted runs, hikes, circuit training and just end up playing squash and jogging which doesn't really condition you for being out in the field. What conditions you for being out in the field, is being out in the field. I know some units are getting a good bit of time on the ground, but I've yet to wear my CEFO in a year. Its frustrating as fùck, because without exercising fieldcraft, there's little else in the RDF for me. The lack of Exes is probably proportionate to our lack of numbers too, which itself is a downward spiral.

As for delaying harmony in standards, I'd say that has a lot to do with avoiding any degree of parity between the RDF & PDF before our next VFM review in -3 years.

Comment

• Why on earth would anyone need to practice walking 10km?
                                If that's a serious question my opinion of you has gone way down.

That test requires certain kit and clothing, and to complete in a certain timeframe, as you are well aware. Not onerous, certainly, but anyone who attempts the test should practice in the correct rig-out beforehand. Or have the 4P's vanished ?

But I'm being misunderstood. I said above that every soldier can learn to run the 2 miles/pressups/situps in the time/reps required , but Mil fitness , as S&S said better than I could, needs to be conditioned, and unless you are doing this in a military setting, with an instructor who can gauge the effort and levels involved and remedies required, is only swinging in the wind. In addition the almost mandatory "doing-it-as-part-of-a-team" with your section/troop/platoon whatever is lost, and you aren't going to tell me that's not a factor in building a soldier. Hell most of what I remember from three star course was the platoon based physical crease jobs/crawling and scratches-that-you-can't-call-scratch-anymore
                                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                                X