Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since when is pt banned for rdf?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Since when is pt banned for rdf?
      Its not allowed on programme since the re-org.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• I am a little confused.
        If someone was to join the DF they would have to reach a certain inductio fitness level.
        The then would be trained and given instruction in how to maintain fitness so they can reach the required fittness level.

So why do some people think it so unreasonable that members of the RDF should look for the same training and instruction?

Comment

• What I dont get is why would the DF run a PTL course for reserve troops (starts next week) if PT is banned from the reservist program?
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
            What I dont get is why would the DF run a PTL course for reserve troops (starts next week) if PT is banned from the reservist program?
            Arse. Both Hands. Find. Couldn't. The Dark.?

could be a temporary thing where the DF is effectively re-booting PT in the Reserves - in a 'bin it until we get the new system sorted, then start up again when the new system is in place' type-thing, but incompetance runs deep in most organisations, so my first theory is just as likely...

Comment

• Just to point out, the reserve PTL course - i believe - is one of the few RDF courses than uses the same syllabus as the PDF and is of the same duration?

Comment

• It could be also down to trying to keep in line with TI07/11 (Monday-Friday and the working hours).

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Some of those dislikes are errors due to the fact that I'm usually on IMO on a smart phone
                  I feel your pain, it's happened to me before!

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  What should be done:
                  Don't effective ban PT (allow PT on OPT, ORT (OPT) and battle PT (inside programme time if relevant)
                  Allow RDF access to gym facilities when open (and advertise), I'm sure there are PDF who would like to see the gyms open OPT
                  Put out clear guidance to Unit COs regarding annual medicals for RDF and ITs, especially for the under 40s.

Here's a question, at the very time fitness is being made mandatory why is the DF doing this?

What is the point now in having RDF PRLs and potentially PTIs?
                  PDF gym's open beyond normal duty hours and open before the start of normal duty hours. RDF lads can use it, all you have to do is sign in when ya go into the gym and away ya go.

Originally posted by Saab View Post
                  I am a little confused.
                  If someone was to join the DF they would have to reach a certain inductio fitness level.
                  The then would be trained and given instruction in how to maintain fitness so they can reach the required fittness level.

So why do some people think it so unreasonable that members of the RDF should look for the same training and instruction?
                  I don't see why RDF lads don't go to PTI's and ask for a programme. The PTI's aren't world hating bastards, chances are they'll knock one up for them.

Now that the RDF is officially part of PDF Unit's, it would be a good time for RDF Officers to start to ask their Unit Commander's to begin trying to get RDF troops with qualifications such as the NCEF signed off so they can run circuit's etc. It's one of the times where you'll find your civvie qualifications can be carried over and recognised by the DF.
                  Last edited by Fridge Magnet; 10 July 2013, 13:27.

Comment

• A lot of like all things RDF is probably down to communication.

A lot of the time either the chain of command doesn't get it (or know to ask for it) or doesn't filter it down.

For example, will RDF Coy Commanders be willing/able to attend weekly or monthly unit commanders conferences?

Comment

• Now that the RDF is officially part of PDF Unit's
                      Slightly incorrect.

PDF and RDF form both parts of the Single Force
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        Slightly incorrect.

PDF and RDF form both parts of the Single Force
                        Ah you know what I meant, we're all family now

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                          PDF gym's open beyond normal duty hours and open before the start of normal duty hours. RDF lads can use it, all you have to do is sign in when ya go into the gym and away ya go.
                          Not what we were told. One of the lads in my Unit went into the bks to use the gym. Was let in after the usual s+++. The next time he was told "Not available to RDF" and shown a notice on official headed paper, signed by the senior officer in the bks.

Query went up the CoC. Reply - RDF pers are not permitted to be in bks unless attending a parade night, field day or other sanctioned activity and that includes gym and mess facilities. I was told this by a black beret and given the name of the officer who signed it, one of the scrambled egg hats. I didn't see the notice but I have no reason to disbelieve the black beret.

In any event, during my 35 years + in the Reserve I have used the mess once out of hours. I think I can survive the few years I have left.

As regards the gym, what's wrong with using the local park, playing fields or whatever. Run, pushups, situps, loaded march - you don't need a gym to practice these.
                          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                          Who is number 1?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                            ...As regards the gym, what's wrong with using the local park, playing fields or whatever. Run, pushups, situps, loaded march - you don't need a gym to practice these.
                            one could say the same thing about the regular componant, but i'm assuming no one will...

commercial gyms and swimming pools are expensive to use - if the regulars want the reservists to have a culture of fitness they probably ought to make a start by allowing reservists to use the facilities they themselves use to develop their culture of fitness.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
                              Not what we were told. One of the lads in my Unit went into the bks to use the gym. Was let in after the usual s+++. The next time he was told "Not available to RDF" and shown a notice on official headed paper, signed by the senior officer in the bks.

Query went up the CoC. Reply - RDF pers are not permitted to be in bks unless attending a parade night, field day or other sanctioned activity and that includes gym and mess facilities. I was told this by a black beret and given the name of the officer who signed it, one of the scrambled egg hats. I didn't see the notice but I have no reason to disbelieve the black beret.

In any event, during my 35 years + in the Reserve I have used the mess once out of hours. I think I can survive the few years I have left.

As regards the gym, what's wrong with using the local park, playing fields or whatever. Run, pushups, situps, loaded march - you don't need a gym to practice these.
                              I was referring to when troops are on FTT. Not allowing the troops use a gym, which would be open, while they're in barracks is ridiculous.

The idea of running, push ups, sit ups and a loaded march is fine for passing IT's. However, when it comes to having to casevac someone who's in full battle rattle, you're going to need something which you won't find from just doing push ups and sit ups.

Comment

• When we awere on Camp in the Curragh we had no issues in using the Gym or Pool after hours. We had to sign in at the desk and that was it.

Comment

Working...
                                X