The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cplmick View Post
    My opinion on the future of the RDF is that it will be the same as the past.

People that have little or no hours put in this year still allowed to go on camp
    Certain people who are in little cliques get the glory courses or easy jobs on camp
    So much for the VFM, all I see is the same crap just a different day hardly much incentive for those of us who do want to make a go of things in the RDF. I from now on will be putting numero uno first and the RDF will be left on the back burner, seems to me you'd get on better dossing it out as putting in any bit of effort.
    I'm staying upbeat about this.

The PDF don't know what to make or us and we don't know what to make of them. Whats needed is a couple of exercises together and seeing where we all stand and then a couple of drinks together and have a bit of craic with each other.

I think the more we'll work with the PDF the more likely the time wasters are going to disappear as the PDF won't tolerate them.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

• This year people were aloud on camp etc without having put in the hours. Going on what some people have posted here, some bad things haven't changed.

Am I right in saying that next year people WILL need to pass the PT test to get on camps and people WILL have to put in the hours to get on camp?

Its early days lads. Stick it out. The PT tests and commitment requirements will whittle big time next year. The only people left will be those of value to the organization.
      SWEAT SAVES BLOOD

Comment

• bam bam is on the money but I don't see where the drinks can fit in with the pdf?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chasseur-Alpin View Post
          This year people were aloud on camp etc without having put in the hours. Going on what some people have posted here, some bad things haven't changed.

Am I right in saying that next year people WILL need to pass the PT test to get on camps and people WILL have to put in the hours to get on camp?

Its early days lads. Stick it out. The PT tests and commitment requirements will whittle big time next year. The only people left will be those of value to the organization.
          I hear what you're saying but it's maddening, take for instance a certain person who hasn't got a hope in hell of passing a PT test but yet was given a course to do this year when they will be out of the organisation when the PT's do come in. That place on the course should have been given to someone who had a better chance of staying in.

Comment

I hear what you're saying but it's maddening, take for instance a certain person who hasn't got a hope in hell of passing a PT test but yet was given a course to do this year when they will be out of the organisation when the PT's do come in. That place on the course should have been given to someone who had a better chance of staying in.
            Others might say that it will give them 12 months to get match fit.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Others might say that it will give them 12 months to get match fit.
              If it's the individual I'm thinking of... Not a f***ing hope...
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                Why did I post it in this section.

One word.

Commitment.
                Entirely agree, Committment whether its PDF/ RDF . However systems and standards , unbreakable non bendable standards already in place are applied to everyone of all ranks to ensure a well trained and efficent and capable DF. In all units /organizations there will be a core group of committed people, the normal standards are only benchmarks for them they will usually maintain much higher standards, in all aspects of their work. Physical fitness being the first requirement of a soldier, For the remainder of the troops the basic standards will ensure at least that they can perform at acceptable levels.
                I recall during my NCOs course where I mentioned that I thought that standards if they existed were too low , I also mentioned this to my Company Commander and Bn CO ( one of a few for for whom I had soem respect) prior to my hon discharge .
                Leadership is key , a Bn Commander , Company Commander, Senior NCO who is fit , runs with the troops, is not afraid to get his hands dirty , insists on high standards and yet can understand the personal needs of troops is key. I only remember one Bn Co , VS, One CS who was very fit, and a few company commanders who were too lazy to not run for a bus..
                So I am sure Reorg is a necessary step but it will only improve IN THE RDF when there is a mind change.

MOD:Post edited to reflect the reality .of todays Defence Forces.The standards are there.They are applied.To all.Including now the RDF.The PDF had their change of mindset in 1992 and have continued to evolve since then
                Last edited by apod; 21 July 2013, 07:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
                  Entirely agree, Committment whether its PDF/ RDF . However systems and standards , unbreakable non bendable standards must be in place and applied to everyone of all ranks to ensure a well trained and efficent and capable DF.
                  Definitely but..... The standard has to be achievable within the constraints placed on members of the RDF by the DF/DOD.

I'm not necessarily talking about fitnesd by the way.

Comment

• I was chatting with a few RDF members yesterday and the question of doing night classes which are on the same night as the weekly training night arose. An RDF member is thinking about doing a night class which would last 2 years and would like to remain in the RDF. Is there a way of doing this without going on the non effective list?

Comment

I was chatting with a few RDF members yesterday and the question of doing night classes which are on the same night as the weekly training night arose. An RDF member is thinking about doing a night class which would last 2 years and would like to remain in the RDF. Is there a way of doing this without going on the non effective list?
                      You can take a leave of absence (with the consent of the GOC) for up to 3 years, but you have to give 3 months notice.

Comment

I was chatting with a few RDF members yesterday and the question of doing night classes which are on the same night as the weekly training night arose. An RDF member is thinking about doing a night class which would last 2 years and would like to remain in the RDF. Is there a way of doing this without going on the non effective list?
                        Attach to another unit with a more suitable parade night?

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
                          I don't believe that's possible anymore.
                          Why would it not be?

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                            Why would it not be?
                            Am assuming it's because of the Single Force Concept. Mind you, it would be helpful if the revised DFR R5 was published, to give clarity to all this stuff
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                              Am assuming it's because of the Single Force Concept. Mind you, it would be helpful if the revised DFR R5 was published, to give clarity to all this stuff
                              Units can attach a soldier to another unit. The RDF have an advantage over the PDF, you are allowed supernumeraries so you can even post troops into units that are already full, PDF cannot

Comment

• I thought the non effective was gone or due to go.meet your individual KPI's or bye bye.Yeah??
                                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Working...
                                X