No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heard that there is a week in October for people that missed FTT in the summer.

That's a step up anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
      Heard that there is a week in October for people that missed FTT in the summer.

That's a step up anyway.
      Depends on the unit

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
        Heard that there is a week in October for people that missed FTT in the summer.

That's a step up anyway.
        That's nothing new. "Winter Camps" as the October FTT were commonly known, were run most years (in the East anyway)...
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• The way things are going I can see a transfer in my future unless it improves.

Am so fed up with rats not turning up at all each week and yet remaining on the books.

Something needs to change as I cannot see any enforcement of basic KPIs yet.

Simple example is the brigade and all army shoots... whats the poxy point? units are concentrating on the wrong things.

I see no point in the above taking priorities ahead of regular training and see no point in regular training without the privates to give it to.

RDF has its head up its own ar$e and the organisation is being shown up for having no leadership and little or no future. All we hear is be patient etc etc etc... well Ive heard of no plans of what we will do when recruitment re-commences, if at all. centralised? unit level? how will it be done? its utter boll*x - thoroughly demotivated right now.
          Last edited by morpheus; 9 September 2013, 11:21.
          "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I cannot see any enforcement of basic KPIs yet
            I beg to differ. I am seeing every single KPI being knocked off one by one in my own place (with a somewhat fanatic bent but I am coming to believe this is no bad thing ) , and in other places that I am aware of, the same approach is being taken. Not all though, some (sub) units are not stepping up to the mark and it is very clear to see.

Simple example is the brigade and all army shoots... whats the poxy point? units are concentrating on the wrong things.
            It's a duty. It may have escaped notice but that is something that happens. I'd regard it as an excellent marker to see where unit commitment is at and you can be sure its a line item on someones conference to see what happened. Where I have a problem with it is the limited notice of the damn thing, I mean its no surprise the competition was to happen, dates could have gone out a bit better.

We are very burnt back to the bones at the moment and I agree recruitment is badly needed BUT that is driven by the department.

PS : KPIs are things to be monitored, they're not "Enforced"
            Last edited by trellheim; 9 September 2013, 11:59.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
              The way things are going I can see a transfer in my future unless it improves.

Am so fed up with rats not turning up at all each week and yet remaining on the books.

Something needs to change as I cannot see any enforcement of basic KPIs yet.

I see no point in the above taking priorities ahead of regular training and see no point in regular training without the privates to give it to.

RDF has its head up its own ar$e and the organisation is being shown up for having no leadership and little or no future. All we hear is be patient etc etc etc... well Ive heard of no plans of what we will do when recruitment re-commences, if at all. centralised? unit level? how will it be done? its utter boll*x - thoroughly demotivated right now.
              I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

I haven't really paraded since camp due to work and family commitments, but I'm struggling to motivate myself to go back. My unit are now going to devote nearly all our training weekends and winter FTT on a particular weapon system. That along with the farcical post Single Force "All Army" Shooting Competition has me frustrated beyond belief!
              I seriously don't see the point in what is effectively advanced training on a Coy level asset when we can barely field a platoon that is sorely lacking in the fundamentals of soldiering when we should be trying to excel in the basics with PT, 1st Aid, SINCGAR, navigation, fieldcraft etc.
              It strikes me that those in charge would rather run a programme that can be completed with only 3 guys showing up so they can pat themselves on the back for running a "successful" course, rather than develop the whole unit into something with a strong foundation of basic training, where everyone has a job to do and is willing to do it.

I certainly won't be giving up a week's work to do that particular FTT. In fact, I'm now debating if it's worth my time even making myself available for a Pots course should it come up because it doesn't seem to matter who does what course these days, we're still an organisation of Lions led by headless chickens who'll run us into the ground long before those with the proper credentials have the chance to affect change.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              I'd regard it as an excellent marker to see where unit commitment is at
              I'd sooner we had a mobilisation exercise to guage the commitment.

Comment

• Have to agree with both Morpheus and Swift. We are in the same Bn if im not mistaken and Camp was a bust. The winter camp thats being planned might go the same way. Im going to have to see the training plan before i decide. I spent the last camp trying to find something to do

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  I beg to differ. I am seeing every single KPI being knocked off one by one in my own place (with a somewhat fanatic bent but I am coming to believe this is no bad thing ) , and in other places that I am aware of, the same approach is being taken. Not all though, some (sub) units are not stepping up to the mark and it is very clear to see.

It's a duty. It may have escaped notice but that is something that happens. I'd regard it as an excellent marker to see where unit commitment is at and you can be sure its a line item on someones conference to see what happened. Where I have a problem with it is the limited notice of the damn thing, I mean its no surprise the competition was to happen, dates could have gone out a bit better.

We are very burnt back to the bones at the moment and I agree recruitment is badly needed BUT that is driven by the department.

PS : KPIs are things to be monitored, they're not "Enforced"
                  Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

I haven't really paraded since camp due to work and family commitments, but I'm struggling to motivate myself to go back. My unit are now going to devote nearly all our training weekends and winter FTT on a particular weapon system. That along with the farcical post Single Force "All Army" Shooting Competition has me frustrated beyond belief!
                  I seriously don't see the point in what is effectively advanced training on a Coy level asset when we can barely field a platoon that is sorely lacking in the fundamentals of soldiering when we should be trying to excel in the basics with PT, 1st Aid, SINCGAR, navigation, fieldcraft etc.
                  It strikes me that those in charge would rather run a programme that can be completed with only 3 guys showing up so they can pat themselves on the back for running a "successful" course, rather than develop the whole unit into something with a strong foundation of basic training, where everyone has a job to do and is willing to do it.

I certainly won't be giving up a week's work to do that particular FTT. In fact, I'm now debating if it's worth my time even making myself available for a Pots course should it come up because it doesn't seem to matter who does what course these days, we're still an organisation of Lions led by headless chickens who'll run us into the ground long before those with the proper credentials have the chance to affect change.

I'd sooner we had a mobilisation exercise to guage the commitment.
                  The individual KPIs cannot see action until the end of the training year (ie you have a year to meet the requirements).

If you haven't met your individual KPIs by 31 December you'll be discharged.

Comment

• We're a good few drafts along anyway

Comment

• If they release the expected reg changes then yes they can. However as it stands the Admino says no recruitment till effective strength drops down.

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
                        Has a new R5 been published to that effect?
                        Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        We're a good few drafts along anyway
                        Originally posted by kermit
                        No one can justifiably be discharged for not meeting their KPIs in 2013 then.
                        We all know what DoD are like, they will wake up to the fact in April and then discharge people

I'm yet to see a first draft

Comment

• I'm yet to see a first draft
                          Several have seen more.

Comment

• I was told recently about a small RDF unit that has become so disillusioned that they have all individually but I can only assume collectively, decided to not bother parading anymore.

Surely this cannot be true?

Comment

• Some units have been so decimated that it is impossible to run any kind of training program at even section level. We regularly have max 3 or 4 ptes parade in my unit.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• While I'm hearing many positive stories from the reorg it is quite probable that there are people not having a good time out there. So it could well be true MO

Comment

Working...
                                X