• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes there is.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      Wouldn't be anything to do with the fact that it was a weekday, and Reservists have to work for a living ? Plonker.... :(
      Oh dear, It's hard not to run things on a week day as all 7 days are week days.

Haven't many IMOers bleated on about how we are only available at the weekends.

So in what part of the country is Sunday not the weekend?

I was just saying that there was about only 1/10 of the people attending this year as previously and asking if this is the real future of the reserve.

People here can blame the PDF for doing things on mid-week days all they like but for this one there is no hiding behind the PDF.

So TD whats with the name calling??
      Last edited by Saab; 3 October 2013, 08:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saab View Post
        I was up at the orienteering on last Sunday. A nice blustery day around Kilbride.

The last time I was at the orienteering was some years ago.
        The place was humming.
        It took about 10 packed minibusses to take us to the course.

This year there was a hand ful in each group and not too many groups either.

Where have all the soldiers gone???

Well the reservists anyway.

Even the usual batter of tpt and CIS typs were no where to be seen.

One thing I'll say. The grub was good.
        THen again the cook was one of ours!!!
        CIS were there!
        Fail to prepare, prepare to fail

Comment

• CIS were there! Danke Kamerad we sure were there , Saab who do you reckon set up the p.a. and did control station in the registry there was a crew of 4 of us there . You must have not seen our ffr parked at the side of the registry even got a thanks lads from the main man there on the day and I also saw the tpt lads a few imoers were there too . The party cant happen without sigs/comms anytime we are tasked we show up.
          Bohs till I die

Comment

• Originally posted by bohs fan View Post
            CIS were there! Danke Kamerad we sure were there , Saab who do you reckon set up the p.a. and did control station in the registry there was a crew of 4 of us there . You must have not seen our ffr parked at the side of the registry even got a thanks lads from the main man there on the day and I also saw the tpt lads a few imoers were there too . The party cant happen without sigs/comms anytime we are tasked we show up.
            Exactly.

There was only 4 of you.

I recall being at orienteering comps where the CIS would have had 4 at the registry and another 5 or six out doing other stuff. To say nothing about the Cmdt, Capt and Lts, CS and others floating about.

There was a couple of Tpt there too, apart from competing but nothing like the fleet of days gone bye.

Comment

• Well apparently my unit just issued 80 odd discharge notices, so there will be even less of us soon. Ptes and NCOs only. Can't cull the officers it seems.

Still, I'd sooner see 20 on parade with an option to recruit, rather than 100 on paper.

Comment

• Saab what is your point? It's not a big secret that numbers are incredibly low across the RDF, add to that the fact that most people don't enjoy orienteering at all and the (probably) short notice nature of any RDF orienteering events this year.
                Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                  Well apparently my unit just issued 80 odd discharge notices, so there will be even less of us soon. Ptes and NCOs only. Can't cull the officers it seems.

Still, I'd sooner see 20 on parade with an option to recruit, rather than 100 on paper.
                  It is much easier to discharge other ranks (goes to GOC I think) as a commission is awarded by the President (it goes at the very least to DCOS level).

Comment

• Officers have to resign their commission. Their non attendance, which as an o/r would make them non effective, in an officers case merely reduces their promotion chances, when the regular meeting with CO time comes around.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Officers have to resign their commission. Their non attendance, which as an o/r would make them non effective, in an officers case merely reduces their promotion chances, when the regular meeting with CO time comes around.
                      Incorrect, since 2005 officers can be posted non-effective. 2 years on non-effective list and your commission can be relinquished.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                        Sunday isn't a weekday?
                        Nope that's a day in the week, not a weekday. Weekday = Mon-Fri...
                        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Incorrect, since 2005 officers can be posted non-effective. 2 years on non-effective list and your commission can be relinquished
                          This was never tested on appeal or injunction IIRC and is *very shaky*.
                          "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• if only they could pay Reserve soldiers, train overseas and go on operations - that would make it an attractive organisation to draw those serious about soldiering.

it must be tough being an NCO trying to motivate people to attend, let alone perform.
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              it must be tough being an NCO trying to motivate people to attend, let alone perform.
                              you have no f**king idea mate, absolutely head melting. People are being discharged as we speak though, which, if followed up with a recruitment drive will be a decent step in the right direction.
                              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I'm not optimistic about recruitment. The catchment areas are greatly reduced due to the cessation of transport. The incentives are minimal. Reserve service will have a negative impact on you financially, which is fully accepted by the MA as a condition of RDF service.

Even if we do get the right quantities of Recruits, there's no guaranteeing the quality of candidate or likelihood of retention.

Long story short, you'd want about 2000+ recruits to show up as soon as the vacancies appear, who live near their RDF locations, who have free time, disposable income, and real hard-on for all things military to make recruitment and the RDF viable before the next VFM review.

Comment

Working...
                                X