No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long story short, you'd want about 2000+ recruits to show up as soon as the vacancies appear, who live near their RDF locations, who have free time, disposable income, and real hard-on for all things military to make recruitment and the RDF viable before the next VFM review.
    Yep they are out there all right.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by The real Jack View Post
      Saab what is your point? It's not a big secret that numbers are incredibly low across the RDF, add to that the fact that most people don't enjoy orienteering at all and the (probably) short notice nature of any RDF orienteering events this year.
      Point was the question where was everyone?

Or alternatively the question could be put

Is this what we expect to see from a brigade in the future?

Orienteering is a test of navagation, fitness and observation.
      Are they not key skills for a reservist?

I would think it was more important than dressing up and pretending to attack pretend enemy.
      So why is it not being pushed?
      It's not like it costs anything to train up for it.

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
      Nope that's a day in the week, not a weekday. Weekday = Mon-Fri...
      TD if you want to get in to semantics weekday refers to working week. This of old meant any dau except Sunday however as many workers in England came to only work mon-fri the working week for common wealth countries became those 5 days. Although the Scots still hold on to Saturday as a working day. Many other countries still follow the old religeous meaning.
      However as the military has always worked 7 days by definition weekday = working day in the military everyday is a weekday.

Putting that aside, please answer why you resorted to childish insulting when you made the mistake of thinking that the RDF orienteering competition, which I clearly said was held on a Sunday, was held on a weekday?
      Last edited by Saab; 4 October 2013, 18:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
        Long story short, you'd want about 2000+ recruits to show up as soon as the vacancies appear, who live near their RDF locations, who have free time, disposable income, and real hard-on for all things military to make recruitment and the RDF viable before the next VFM review.
        that is a very big ask, indeed too much to ask.

even with our Reservists receiving Army pay, Leave, pensionable service, travel and missed meal expenses, and the opportunity to train overseas and deploy on operations - we are still not upto strength, but things are improving on all fronts.

we are lucky, the government sees the Army Reserve as the silver bullet, but it could have gone the other way.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• If we want to get the right people in the door we need to dispense with the old way of recruiting.
          We need to do it just like the PDF do to a certain extent. Advertise recruitment for a barracks in regional papers, on the radio and military.ie. Then have people do psycho tests, induction fitness tests, interviews, all that jazz. It will help weed out the people that don't really want to jump through any hoops to get in, the kind who just want a uniform and to go drink tea.
          Then have them do a recruiit course of no less than a month, the money is there for it! Then assign them to a units in the barracks they applied to. Take into account what their preference might be, but it's the army, and if Engineers need 20 new Ptes and Joe Blogs want's to go to MPs who don't need anyone, well then Joe Blogs won't be wearing a red hat.
          Recruit people like they will someday be soldiers, train them like soldiers and treat them like soldiers and we might be able to keep some of them.

Comment

• A silver bullet, exactly
            Last edited by jack08; 4 October 2013, 23:31.

Comment

• One of the recruits in my unit quit after less than two weeks because "It wasn't like the RDF".Jesus christ WTF did he expect
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• does a 'recruit in your unit' mean a guy who just finished basic training, or a guy actually in training in a training unit?

surely contracts prevent him jumping ship so early?
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                  surely contracts prevent him jumping ship so early?
                  A soldier can purchase their discharge. If a recruit goes within the first 3 months it is as little as €30 after that add a zero to that figure. I know people that left as early as the afternoon of the day they were inducted. This is all for PDF BTW, RDF can just not bother to turn up again.

I am also aware of a cadet that left after about a month into his cadetship because he "didnt realise it was going to be so aggressive", this was a guy that had been in the FCA and had been on 2 or 3 camps

Comment

• "surely contracts prevent him jumping ship so early?"

Plenty more only too willing to take his place - in our army anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                      One of the recruits in my unit quit after less than two weeks because "It wasn't like the RDF".Jesus christ WTF did he expect
                      Your mileage may vary. We've had guys from our old unit , now in the PDF who swore that their time in the Reserve or FCA was excellent preparation for the training parts if not the humdrum daily life.

On the other hand, I have encountered NCOs and even one officer (female) that in their entire reserve career had never spent a night living in hard routine (or even in a bivvy). Many reserve units were social/youth clubs in the past which was a disgrace and a source of much outrage to me when I encountered them.

It's also why it is so puzzling that the re-org has done so little to formally address ethos change (why did officers and NCOs need a year to prepare for mandatory fitness testing. Why wasn't there more laying out of the law in terms of expectations of attendance and follow through during the briefings.) while going at it so hard in terms of KPIs.
                      Last edited by Come-quickly; 5 October 2013, 15:20. Reason: syntax
                      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

• Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                        "surely contracts prevent him jumping ship so early?"

Plenty more only too willing to take his place - in our army anyway.
                        but that's the problem - nobody actually can take his place because training has already begun and you cannot just drop someone in there to pick up where he left off.

It is a place lost that cannot be filled until the next batch of recruiting takes place and they add one slot more to replace the bloke they just lost.

those contracts need looking at because they seriously take the piss and do ONH no favours at all.

if a lad can walk out so easily when the going gets tough then it is the system that is to blame, not the individual.
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 5 October 2013, 15:43.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• I know of a cadet that left 1 week before his commissioning!

Comment

• Originally posted by F_M View Post
                            I know of a cadet that left 1 week before his commissioning!
                            good use of tax-payers money that, and a valuable slot that someone dedicated could have filled.

these leaks need to be plugged in order to provide value for money of public funds.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

WOW !

Comment

If it is the one I am thinking of it was not voluntary

What was the timeline for this?

Comment

Working...
                                X