No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything about the IT's is true.Grade 5 this year to pass,grade four next year..Same tests as PDF.No difference, including new part 3 and equipment carried/worn for it.
    AFAIK fitness testing is in for induction of new recruits but will confirm.Will also confirm about range tables for APWT but can confirm RDF shooting comps this year will fire PDF tables and wear same equipment as PDF including CBA.
    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
      Latest ball hop may not actually be a ball hop....
      RDF recruitment to begin 2nd quarter 2014.
      Same fitness requirements as PDF recruits.

anyone else able to confirm the above about recruitment?

KPIs announced for 2014
      40hrs parade, overnights, weekends
      1 week FTT
      8 hrs voluntary - includes prep days for GOH, etc
      Medicals for everyone
      conflicted reports that IT's are in for everyone but can pass at grade 5 for THIS year - to be grade 4 next year
      ITs for courses must still be passed at level required for that course
      ITs are same as PDF - bar the grade 5 for general assessment
      ARPs - firing same range tables as PDF

anything ive missed?
      Roger on everything apart from the Medicals for everyone is an impossibility. Re APWTs & shooting comps the plan may be for the same gear but we don't have any.
      Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• Was speaking to a Comdt yesterday and he confirmed most of what was said there inc Fitness tests for recruits and the range tables.

Comment

• Anyone hazard a guess why grade 5 for 2014?
          I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
          Who is number 1?

Comment

• going from nothing to grade 4 in one go is not viable - baby steps approach.
            fitness is a lifestyle choice especially for people who may work full time sedentary jobs.
            discussed by Lt Col with members of DEFPES RDF PTL 2013 and made sense.
            grade 5 however will not get you on a course if that course requires a certain grade in the ITs.
            it will only mean you pass a general fitness test for 2014 and will need to improve to get 2015s grade 4.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• Part three is done with 14 kilos in a day sack now. And its graded with the part two
              Last edited by kaiser; 17 January 2014, 17:57.

Comment

• Part three is done with 14 kilos in a day sack now. And its graded with the parts one and two
                On the right track but not correct.It's 14kg/30lbs BETWEEN Battlevest AND Patrolpack.Not including your drinking water.Weighed at the start AND end of the test.Also the part three is a standalone test.The grade you get in the part three is NOT averaged with your grade for part two.All PDF career courses now require a minimum of grade 3 in BOTH parts of the test since last december.

Specific mention is made in the amendment to the TI about the RDF and the equipment they will wear.Same as PDF on a "Loan" basis.IE you show up to do the test with a set of IPLCS your unit will have issued to you prior on voucher.Not personal issue at the moment.Pretty much the same as the old system.My unit no longer keeps ANY PLCE for RDF but has set aside full sets of IPLCS as a pool for RDF Coys.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                  going from nothing to grade 4 in one go is not viable - baby steps approach.
                  fitness is a lifestyle choice especially for people who may work full time sedentary jobs.
                  it will only mean you pass a general fitness test for 2014 and will need to improve to get 2015s grade 4.
                  I think it should be a grade 4 this year. If an individual wants to do some soldiering they should get off their ass and train for the tests. It's january 17th, now I don't know what the rest of the RDF do in their spare time but surely between now and June/July they can manage to train for the tests which will probably take place on camps.

Christ if you were given a months notice, I'm sure an individual could train for it. This softly, lets not hurt anyone's feelings crap needs to stop. Shape up or ship out!

Rant over, have a good weekend people.

Comment

• Originally posted by kaiser View Post
                    Part three is done with 14 kilos in a day sack now. And its graded with the parts one and two
                    For the RDF it is grade 5 in Parts 2 & 3 in 2014 - same 14kg Daysack as the PDF for part 3. No change to Part 1

Then Grade 4 for Part 2 & 3 in 2015.

Some people wanted it straight into Grade 4 for 2014, someone higher up wanted an easing in process. There was talk of a different test but DFPES came up with a saner solution of a grade 5. If you can get a grade 5 in 2014, Grade 4 should be easy in 2015 but no change on Part 1 means a lot of people are in trouble in 2014.

What has surprised me is the Ministers answer of 1734 people attending FTT last year out of 4773 people supposed to be in the Reserve and over 4000 establishment. Only 43% of the establishment are effective?

Based on his figures, only a maximum of 26671 mandays (assuming no one went over 28 days) were actually used out of 41000 provided for (or was it 45000?) - roughly 66% used.
                    Source: http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...l=1#post407311

Comment

• Ah come on Morp. And, I'm not shooting the messenger.

Going from 0 to 4 requires a bit of dedicated training. Nothing else. How much does someone want to be in the RDF?

The sit ups and press ups can be practiced in front of the TV. One minute each every day or second day. The run is only 2 miles. Again not a big time commitment. Even starting with a run/walk for a few weeks would only take max 30 minutes.

The ITs are the easiest exam anyone will ever do. Not only do they tell you the questions beforehand, they also give you the answers. You won't get that in the Leaving Cert.

I know a lot of people sit behind a desk all day. But if you really want to be in a military environment, albeit on a part time basis, then you must be prepared for a bit of robust endeavour.

The fitness tests have been well flagged and as far as I'm concerned any RDF member not training and aiming for a grade 1 should be shown the gate at the earliest opportunity. And any Officer/NCO caught preaching "you only have to do 5 press ups and 5 sit ups........" nonsense should be kicked out the gate. That's a real example of leadership and motivation. When the RDF starts to take itself seriously then the PDF will (have to).

As I've posted before when the re-org was going through last year, the entire RDF should have been made do the ITs. Nothing else but ITs. If every member had been tested that would have been some achievement and shown some commitment.
                      I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
                      Who is number 1?

Comment

• Woah lads - I got a grade 1 before doing PTL course, so im not saying its not possible for RDFers to be fit. I know some - in fact quite a few, who are super fit. i also know some who will struggle. When youre being asked about medicals, BMIs, fitness test requirements, how to do situps and pushups by folks who never did anything except run from the FFR to grab a breakfast roll and back - thats a significant deal in my book.

Look i (and prob most of you) keep fit all the time, regardless - yes initially i did it for soldiering, but now because i like it and its healthy.

My personal opinion Ill point out - is the same as yours, someone gets a grade 5 and is asked to do same job as same rank in PDF anyway. makes little sense.

but you have to be realistic, to someone carrying a lot of weight and little fitness even grade 5 from zero is going to be a struggle initially, a situp is something they do to get out of bed, a pushup - well ill leave that to your imagination - in fact id encourage MORE sex to help with both the above .

I also think we should be doing a minimum of 3 chinups / pullups.

And it IS a lifestyle change. some folks wont even have covered 10km in one sitting before never mind carrying weight.

This is sadly the nature of the beast of encouraging (i.e. NOT) fitness for years. now its compuslory and i guess that although i think people should aim for 3 or above, either way id prefer everyone passes a grade 5 this yr and grade 4 next year than no fitness test at all.
                        Last edited by morpheus; 17 January 2014, 18:28.
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• im one of the overweight people in the rdf but anyone that knows me knows iv always given 100% out on the ground.....but the last 2 years iv let things slide big time so i welcome the fitness....the ball is in my court if i want to stay in i must pass... ill be looking for a grade 4 this year myself
                          Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Comment

• morpheus,

Not sure about recruits but 2014 was flagged as happening early last year.

Same with the KPIs, I could have told you what they are including next year then. The only thing I couldn't tell you is what the "appropriate" medical and fitness tests were.

Medicals and fitness tests (grade 5 this year, grade 4 in 2015) for all, if you don't reach grade 5 bye bye.

The grade 5 is true.

The only thing you have incorrect is it is 48 hours (plus the 8 hours voluntary), voluntary goes up in 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
                              I think it should be a grade 4 this year. If an individual wants to do some soldiering they should get off their ass and train for the tests. It's january 17th, now I don't know what the rest of the RDF do in their spare time but surely between now and June/July they can manage to train for the tests which will probably take place on camps.
                              My medical (part 1) is soon and ITs in Feb

Comment

• I would say that personnel should be aiming for the Grade 4 this year... Bearing in mind that this is the average of three tests (unless the 4.8km walk is done instead of the run)
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X