No announcement yet.

The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What units are no longer commanded by PDF?
    Where personnel (either officers or NCOs) are given responsibility they should be doing there job!

I agree with you hpt in some ways, "along the lines of PDF units" - in terms of things like standards some of it will be possible some not (eg there is no PDF Inf Bn spread over more than 2 barracks anymore, my unit is spread over 7!). You can't ask a RDF 3* to be at the same standard as an new PDF 2* as there is a 13/14 week difference in the amount of training they do. Some units can't get regular access to weapons, when they do plan something half the time it is cancelled due to other unit commitments, lack of transport etc. Also the RDF is not the PDF, we can't fit a week into 2 hours a week in terms of training & admin (eg look at the log books!)! We also have lives outside the RDF and need time to plan time off work etc.

I've given my unit (both pre & post reorg) 110% commitment over my coming up to 11 years service and not I'm asking myself why? With get very little support from anyone (with some notable exceptions) in anything we attempt to do. Where are participation is asked for we get very little if any logistical support (which we need). All the time more work is put on us with no additional help/resources.

Comment

What simple measures are required?

Commitment from individuals to their units to attend as best they can and to put effort in
      Commitment from unit cadres to help their units to develop
      Commitment from "affiliate" units to assist the RDF develop
      Commitment from DOD & DFHQ to make the running of the RDF more efficent
      Recruitment - Locally based campaigns looking for individuals likely to give min 3 year service
      Back to basics - recruit & 2* training, simply exercises
      Collaboration between sub-units & units to make best use of resources
      Look after people - basic things like pay & grat, communications, advance notice of courses etc

Comment

Traumagod you cut photoshop a face in there for any number of people not necessarily the Minister for Finance or WOD

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
          , advance notice of courses etc
          +1

went lookin for dates for a course once and was told by a member of the cadre "i have the dates but i'm not allowed tell ya" so i went and got them of people here other wise i would never have gotten the time off work,

(so much for keepin the troops informed)
          But there's no danger
          It's a professional career
          Though it could be arranged
          With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
          If you're out of luck you're out of work
          We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by coffee View Post
            I would favour the oppsite dev, that being scrap the integrated.....Those officers....... My unit has a good reputation
            I can't believe there is so much support for such drivel.

We have the usual "Bah Hiss - Integration" claptrap with the "It's all the officers fault" followed by the "My Unit is the best coz we do Blah" crap.

Comment

Believe it or not scrapping RDF will not even provide a massive saving. Vote is only small. Biggest bill in military is wage bill and pensions.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                I can't believe there is so much support for such drivel.

We have the usual "Bah Hiss - Integration" claptrap with the "It's all the officers fault" followed by the "My Unit is the best coz we do Blah" crap.
                mate you know that those who have done int talk more about bein better than everyone else,

for instance once had an officer from an int platoon to tell me to take my ahands off his "PDF" beret,

if that isnt "My Unit is the best coz we do Blah" then i dont know what is

that officer and the idea of integrated reserve lost my respect then and there with that statement
                But there's no danger

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                  mate you know that those who have done int talk more about bein better than everyone else,
                  I never heard it. Maybe it is happening up in Dublin but never heard of it happening anywhere else. I've never seen it. I know people have anecdotal evidence of it but I've never seen any.

The anti-Integrated mafia substantially outnumber all Integrated put together.

Who do you think has more to worry about?

Comment

I never heard it. ?
                    of course you didnt.......
                    But there's no danger

Comment

Who do you think has more to worry about?
                      The anti-Integrated mafia has some individuals within it have an insidious agenda. I've seen the ugly side of anti-integration - the attacks, the harrassment, verbal abuse, bullying etc. I've seen guys abused on the street, Ptes forced out of units, people warned to stay away from their friends who went integrated, People attacked for even contemplating the idea of going integrated.

A good mate of mine was pushed out of his unit and verbally abused because he came back to his unit after Integration. When he complained, the CO told him to shut up.
                      Last edited by Poiuyt; 2 February 2009, 02:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Poiuyt View Post
                        The anti-Integrated mafia has some individuals within it have an insidious agenda. I've seen the ugly side of anti-integration - the attacks, the harrassment, verbal abuse, bullying etc. I've seen guys attacked on the street, Ptes forced out of units, people warned to stay away from their friends who went integrated, People abused for even contemplating the idea of going integrated.

A good mate of mine was pushed out of his unit and verbally abused because he came back to his unit after Integration. When he complained, the CO told him to shut up.
                        Attacked on the street for trying to increase their skill level!?

Comment

The anti-Integrated mafia has some I've seen guys attacked on the street, .
                          I'd love to hear about this...

Integration is the right way forward- but not a two-tier RDF. Standards need to be raised across the board- and the way to do it is to integrate the RDF in its entirety.
                          "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

The anti-Integrated mafia has some individuals within it have an insidious agenda. I've seen the ugly side of anti-integration - the attacks, the harrassment, verbal abuse, bullying etc. I've seen guys attacked on the street, Ptes forced out of units, people warned to stay away from their friends who went integrated, People abused for even contemplating the idea of going integrated.

Folks do I need to remind people of the danger of allegations like this and that bullying should be dealt with in an official capacity under the DFR.

And perhaps Poiuyt you should have had a little more concern for your friends and reported the bullying instead of complaining here where nothing can be done about it in an official or unofficial capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer View Post
                              And perhaps Poiuyt you should have had a little more concern for your friends and reported the bullying instead of complaining here where nothing can be done about it in an official or unofficial capacity.
                              It is more likely that more could be done through here (ie. very little) than in some RDF units (ie. worse than nothing).
                              Last edited by Docman; 2 February 2009, 02:04.

Comment

Docman what I was getting at was that during the assements last year out of three regiments we had stuff written like "DCs are just as capable as their counterparts in that role" and the sgt major of the artillery school after sitting in on the compulsory misfire drill lecture for the whole of 5 minutes then leaving saying in his report something akin to "that corporal knew his stuff".

Maby we have good cadre, which we do or maby, just maby our officers are serious about the roles they have been given and go down on us like a ton of bricks when we **** up even on small things like a gunner giving a bad salute.

The next weekend we are going on we will fire the gpmg have a basic tactics refresher from the last weekend. when the troops are gone to bed the corporals will be woken and given a night navigation ex to do in full kit (weapon, webbing and daysack). The Ncos and officers will get into bed at 05;00 to be woken at 07;00 and will work on platoon level tactics till 13;00 then its of home.

Other units have stoped doing this type of training because of incompetant Officers claiming the risk is to high, but they are right the risk is really to high for them as if they attempted to do such training they would no doubt brake their fat ankles or skulls.

MOD EDIT the enter key creates paragraphs, please use it
                                Last edited by Boomer; 2 February 2009, 14:43. Reason: Added paragraphs

Comment

Working...
                                X