The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coffee View Post
    The next weekend we are going on we will fire the gpmg have a basic tactics refresher from the last weekend. when the troops are gone to bed the corporals will be woken and given a night navigation ex to do in full kit (weapon, webbing and daysack). The Ncos and officers will get into bed at 05;00 to be woken at 07;00 and will work on platoon level tactics till 13;00 then its of home.

Other units have stoped doing this type of training because of incompetant Officers claiming the risk is to high, but they are right the risk is really to high for them as if they attempted to do such training they would no doubt brake their fat ankles or skulls.
    You must have the amount of NCOs & Gunners to do it! Having said that you probably have the amount of NCOs & Gunners to do it because you do that kind of thing.

Pre reorg we did minimum 1 24/48 hour exercise annually (apart from on camp), it was organised at battalion level and was usually a platoon sized base camp & patrolling ex. Not everything is down to the companies. If you are a small company you just can't do it as you don't have a platoon (plus the necessary admin personnel)!

Comment

You must have the amount of NCOs & Gunners to do it
      we re not far off full strength alright.

Comment

The next weekend we are going on we will fire the gpmg have a basic tactics refresher from the last weekend. when the troops are gone to bed the corporals will be woken and given a night navigation ex to do in full kit (weapon, webbing and daysack). The Ncos and officers will get into bed at 05;00 to be woken at 07;00 and will work on platoon level tactics till 13;00 then its of home.

Other units have stoped doing this type of training because of incompetant Officers claiming the risk is to high, but they are right the risk is really to high for them as if they attempted to do such training they would no doubt brake their fat ankles or skulls.
        This is dangerous.

You can't expect NCO's to operate at their peak with only 2 hours sleep the night before.

God help them if they have to drive home from the training and fall asleep at the wheel

I'm all for proper training but the RDF try to, or are forced to, cram too much into a day.

Why are the rest of the troops not on the night nav ex. Is that too dangerous?
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

These days, Night tactics can be done any time after 6pm.
          Sleep deprivation, that serves no purpose other than to be seen as "hard" is pointless.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Docman what I was getting at was that during the assements last year out of three regiments we had stuff written like "DCs are just as capable as their counterparts in that role" and the sgt major of the artillery school after sitting in on the compulsory misfire drill lecture for the whole of 5 minutes then leaving saying in his report something akin to "that corporal knew his stuff".
            Again, more of the "My unit is better than yours. Assessments in the Irish Army mean very little. I've been through 3 of them now (infantry) and know that unless you get a bad report back with some good points, then it wasn't worth considering. I've seen glowing reports written about units who could barely hold a rifle safely. I'm not saying your assessments were good or bad, just that assessments can be very problematic as a barometer of ability.

And you are an officer in all these units and you know why this is happening.
            Coffee. When you are an officer and you have planned this type of training several times under the same conditions, then you can come back and say x, y & z. Until then, you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
              the commanding officer of the reserve cavalry units are RDF officers with PDF officers posted as 'staff officers' to advise the OC's.

My former OC is a RDF Cmdt.

Thought this had been implemented across the board as part of the Re Org where RDF officers were to take ownership of their units...hence the need for Lt Cols across brigades.
              Nope, FARs and battalions still have a PDF Commandant as CO. It's even been known to have a PDF Captain as acting CO.

Comment

Do LSB units still have a PDF C.O?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I'm fairly sure that my unit is the only reserve COE unit with RDF Comdt.

Comment

AD are the same, battery commander is an RDF Comdt, no PDF in our unit bar a cadre sgt and gnr.
                    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
                      AD are the same, battery commander is an RDF Comdt, no PDF in our unit bar a cadre sgt and gnr.
                      A battery is only a subunit - your CO is PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy
                        the commanding officer of the reserve cavalry units are RDF officers with PDF officers posted as 'staff officers' to advise the OC's.

My former OC is a RDF Cmdt.

Thought this had been implemented across the board as part of the Re Org where RDF officers were to take ownership of their units...hence the need for Lt Cols across brigades.
                        The only units that have PDF COs are Inf Bns, FARs & the LSBs (CO of the RLSB is the 2ic of the PDF LSB I think).

The 4 Lt Colonels are the EOs (Executive Officers (2ICs) of the Brigades, answering to the OC Bde RDF.

RDF sub-unit / unit commanders are expect (as they always should) to take responsibility for their units.

On the other hand history will show that during times of rescession that attendance and commitment to the RDF increases.
                        Not sure this time! There are still a lot of part-time jobs out there and a lot more people looking for them! Also people will be putting more effort in a job to make sure they still have a job!

Comment

Yep, sorry, got distracted there and submitted my post. :redface: I was meaning to ask, what rank are other RDF sub-unit commanders? I assume they're commandants but isn't a sub-unit commander generally a captain?
                          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

yes but he's the ADR commander.Lt Col..... the only fully integrated unit in the DF! whatever docman says!!!!!
                            Pussyand Gunsmoke.......live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both in the morning!!

Comment

In the Army Reserve

Major units - Infantry Battalions, Fd Arty Regts & LSBs - Commanded by PDF Commandants (title is Commanding Officer (CO))
                              Minor units - all other corps units and sub-units (ie companies/batteries within major units) Commanded by RDF Commandants (title is Officer Commanding (O/C))

In comparsion PDF major units are commanded by Lt Colonels.

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                                Again, more of the "My unit is better than yours. Assessments in the Irish Army mean very little. I've been through 3 of them now (infantry) and know that unless you get a bad report back with some good points, then it wasn't worth considering. I've seen glowing reports written about units who could barely hold a rifle safely. I'm not saying your assessments were good or bad, just that assessments can be very problematic as a barometer of ability.
                                how come everytime some body uses anecdotal evidence of their experiences within the reserve, you start cryin thats its bragging???

how else do you suppose people should support there argument????
                                Last edited by Boomer; 3 February 2009, 11:29. Reason: slightly risky language
                                But there's no danger
                                It's a professional career
                                Though it could be arranged
                                With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                                If you're out of luck you're out of work
                                We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Working...
                                X