The Future of the Army Reserve - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
    Would it not be better to have an RDF Coy within a PDF Bn? Cause going by your model, there's only going to be 1 RDF Officer within each Coy and even at that it's only an Lt.

Plus, a PDF Bn doesn't have 5 Coy's.

Have an RDF Rifle Coy integrated into a PDF Bn. It's training plan for the year follows the plan as laid out by the Bn CO at the start of the year. It's FTT for the year would be the Bn or Brigade Ex. and a week of LFTT with the Bn. After that, courses relevant to the Coy are made availale with a set number of positions put aside for RDF troops.

Obviously the plan needs a lot of work but IMO an RDF Coy would work better than Platoon's dotted through the Bn.
    Yeah maybe the Coy would be a better model but I was thinking the smaller the size there would be better ownership /responsibility on the integrated unit to maintain standards etc...

I am not really worried about the officer only being of Lt rank, can you elaborate?
    I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
      Which one? The RDF one? 5 of the 9 Bns have 4 Rifle Coys alright, but that's geographic. None of the PDF ones do.

Your magic number is 3305, and is contained in Section 5, 7, 9 (detailed in 10 & 11) and 13 of the document you're looking at. Sections 4, 6 and 8 should be retired.
      Yes I agree, the future of the Army Reserve lies in an purely integrated model with numerical breakdown outlined in CS4.

Are we really kidding ourselves with anything other than this model?
      I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

• Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
        The break down of the Battalion into 6 companys was from CS4, I admit I missed Sp Coy but the methodology would be the same

They would be integrated with your PDF parent unit.
        PDF infantry battalion has 4 coys (in the public domain).

Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
        I am not really worried about the officer only being of Lt rank, can you elaborate?
        Career progression and return on investment in training.

Eg in that situation, the highest rank of NCO would be sergeant and lieutenant (possibly captain in some corps units) for officers. 2 things could happen:

1) If the retirement age for a lieutenant is 32 (for example) in some cases you will be training them to leave in a couple of years.

2) You end up with people holding the rank that are too old to do the job.

Comment

The whole recruitment process needs to be centralised and mirror the PDF i.e. interview / suitability testing and fitness tests are paramount to the overall viability of the future recruit.
          Definitely required!

Examination of all 2/3 Stars passing out will be conducted by School personnel i.e. Medical school will test Medics, Artillery School will test Gunners, and this will result in a better standard of soldier which could be suitable for overseas service.
          Happens already in some cases but all RDF personnel (I think apart from AMC) are supposed to do the same 2-3* training (as they do in the PDF), that is followed by Corps training.

A massive cost saving would result if all rural RDF units were closed, ie RDF units would not exist outside of permanent occupied barracks

All field days and weekends should be paid.
          One will more than cancel out the other (unfortually)!

Comment

• What is the organizational model in the PDF Inf Bn currently ? It would seem to me to be the Company is your home to a certain extent, not the platoon. Or am I wrong ? Is it the Battalion rather than the Company ?

Realities on the ground : would a standalone RDF Rifle Coy work ? Depends on what it is for. Would a Platoon plug in better ?
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
              would a standalone RDF Rifle Coy work ? Depends on what it is for. Would a Platoon plug in better ?
              There could be 2 schools of taught:

RDF Rifle Coy - the company parades at the same time, instead of platoon where 1/3 of your coy is missing (better centralisation)

RDF Inf Platoon - you don't have to train RDF coy commanders etc and you know the Coy Commander is PDF (and therefore the level of training they have).

Comment

What is the organizational model in the PDF Inf Bn currently ? It would seem to me to be the Company is your home to a certain extent, not the platoon. Or am I wrong ? Is it the Battalion rather than the Company ?

Realities on the ground : would a standalone RDF Rifle Coy work ? Depends on what it is for. Would a Platoon plug in better ?
                From my own Experience, the Coy is your house. Everything you want, need or the Bn wants you to do, all comes through the Coy.

Comment

Yeah maybe the Coy would be a better model but I was thinking the smaller the size there would be better ownership /responsibility on the integrated unit to maintain standards etc...
                  .....an integrated res coy will have no shortage of reasons to raise / maintain standards as a whole PDF batt would be closely watching, critiqing and supporting them to match the standards. nothing like inter company rivalry to keep life interesting in a Bn.

as Hello Alaska has said, the Coy is your priority day to day in PDF. everything you do revolves around the Coy you are in.
                  An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• Would it not be better initially to stand up No.4 Rifle Pln initially perhaps, to set the intiial standard, and then expand that to be C Coy or whatever ?

Comment

• But if the non-integrated AR goes, what do the rest do in the meantime?

Comment

• Serve in-addition, or on probation until they can reach a minimum standard, which will need to be met annually, e.g. Medical, Grade II or III ITs, PASS Steyr, GPMG, SRAAW Range practices, plus take part in the annual training.

Where I see a problem is in Sgts and Above, what do you do with them ?

Comment

Serve in-addition, or on probation until they can reach a minimum standard, which will need to be met annually, e.g. Medical, Grade II or III ITs, PASS Steyr, GPMG, SRAAW Range practices, plus take part in the annual training.

Where I see a problem is in Sgts and Above, what do you do with them ?
                          I still think there would be a need for CS,CQ and Lt /Captain the integrated model just
                          no other ranks, this is for the greater good of the majority.

Comment

• CS,CQ and Lt /Captain
                            why ? explain an actual need for them . What would they produce as an output to the PDF Bn [ not internally in the RDF ].

Comment

• The CS would look after the A Admin, CQ would look after the Q Admin

The Lt / Capt would be Platoon / Company Commander

If you think that the PDF CQ and CS should look after this I agree, but I was just thinking from a backing perspective of this model we might need to incorporate these ranks.

The role would in imho would be better served by the PDF CQ and CS.

Comment

• Cavalry * 3 = 99
                                Thats not going to work for a start given there are nine officer appointments alone in Cavalry squadron alone.

I think your model needs to asess corps units outside of Infantry units and see what the break down is.

No point in cavalry squadron having x troopers or NCOs if there is no role for them.

Investigate the roles of the individual within the unit and then see what it takes to make up afunctional unit or sub unit without built in redundancy or over capacity.
                                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
                                X