Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruit Camp

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like

Recruit Camp

Hey guys,

Apologies if there's already a thread. I looked but couldn't find one.

I've my recruit camp starting shortly [MOD: Date & Location Snip].

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect, bring, do and just other bits of info that might help.

Thanks

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be afraid to ask your NCO's. Bring Civvie clothes / PT gear, one of my lads turned up last year and his only civvie gear was a pair of shoes slacks and a shirt....needless to say he ended up having to play foot ball in his good shoes.

• Polish
      Mycill + Zip Lock bags
      Pens / Paper
      Black Tape
      Washing Powder
      Deoderant
      SHOWER GEL
      TOWELS (Get yourself a travel towel)
      FLIP FLOPS (you really dont want to be barefoot in the showers)
      RAZOR
      Hangers
      Organize an iron/extension lead between you and few buddies.
      Someone usually brings "Motviational" Magazines
      Cash (not too much but enough to see you through and for the last night session)
      Sun Cream
      Phone Charger
      Dont bring anything valuable that can be Broken/Robbed

Most importantly bring a sense of humor and positive attitude and you'll be grand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bobert & welcome to the board.

This question has been asked before and was even asked by me when I was a lad, you might find some additional helpful information to that supplied by Laochglas if you click HERE

Never ever click on my signature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another useful resource...

http://www.62infantry.com/Recruit_Camp_Kit_List.shtml

Good thinking on the extension lead, LaochGlas.

On the subject of the "motivational" magazines, if that is what I think
    they are, be advised there will also be female personnel on the
    recruit training. Need I say anymore ?
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Also, what will I be doing? Will there be on the ground stuff or will I be stuck in a classroom for the two weeks?

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be mixed between basic tactics, the square and the classroom.

Some of the subjects can be found here - http://www.62infantry.com/Training.shtml

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right lads, thanks for the help but it turns out that the camps been cancelled due to cutbacks.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant wait to join the PDF,but do you think i should join the RDF for 2 or 3 years,then go for the PDF,,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiered17 View Post
    I cant wait to join the PDF,but do you think i should join the RDF for 2 or 3 years,then go for the PDF,,

Depends on your age, joining the Reserve would give you an insight into how the military functions and provide some pointers should you eventually take the plunge and decide to join up full-time. Go for it.

Connaught Stranger.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a ban on recruitment to the PDF untill end 2010, so join the RDF in the mean time.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our recruit camp was cancelled for this week.. Cut backs & all that :-(
    We're worried we might lose some of the new recruits over it as this was what they've been building up to..
    Life's short, party naked :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad P View Post
    We're worried we might lose some of the new recruits over it as this was what they've been building up to..
    We' ve pretty much been told (subject to confirmation) that the recruits we had
    in train through the paper trail, are gone....

A complete kick where it hurts to all concerned

The only upside to it all is that the Instructors concerned now have
    an opportunity to concentrate on upskilling themselves for the next couple of years
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong. Decision not final yet re "in flight". Am watching this v. carefully. Deffo no new clearances accepted though.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad P View Post
    That's an easter camp though. So it's OK. That's not a recruit camp. In fact there is no place in the sylabus that says recruits have to have a camp before their 2 weeks whereever they do recruit training. The Induction Sylabus is only 21 hours. any more than that is extra. Then they have 2 weeks FTT. They don't really need anymore camp's. The mandays, given the current economic situation are more suited in other place's.

If they have been attested and are in uniform they are safe, otherwise they are not safe at all.

Given mandays have been cut to 14 with the requestability for a further 7 if truly required, then the recruits are OK. They will have 14 days training whereever for recruit camp and they should be damn happy to get that because it means they escaped where 1400 pothential recruits didn't.
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Wrong. Decision not final yet re "in flight". Am watching this v. carefully. Deffo no new clearances accepted though.
    ..... which is why I said "subject to confirmation"

There were many long faces when the news was broken, all the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    In fact there is no place in the sylabus that says recruits have to have a camp before their 2 weeks whereever they do recruit training...
    The syllabus specifies that Module 1 is to be conducted at unit level, consisting of
    training nights, field days and weekends - no mention of FTT to cover Module 1, although
    I can think of one sub unit which did this last year

Can someone tell me what the TI/TS/TC number for the Induction Syllabus is please ?

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recruit Training on Bere Island is of no more. All or Any recruit training to be done by the home units. BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT LAST

Post Thanks / Like
    Logistically, Bere Island is a nightmare anyway.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    ..... which is why I said "subject to confirmation"

There were many long faces when the news was broken, all the same....

The syllabus specifies that Module 1 is to be conducted at unit level, consisting of
    training nights, field days and weekends - no mention of FTT to cover Module 1, although
    I can think of one sub unit which did this last year

Can someone tell me what the TI/TS/TC number for the Induction Syllabus is please ?
    I can think of a few, including my own. In fact I am lead to believe that this is the first year in many where it was not carried out. But, it was to be expected given cutbacks. It's nice to give them the camp, but in fairness, it is not needed. Especially since no matter how far ahead the recruits are they will have to repeat everything ad nauseum when the do their recruit camp.

Some trivia, apparently, according to 1bderdf.com, the recruit training is changing this year. With some Units doing there own (or banding together to do it.) and One unit taking over the majority of the recruits. You can check out yourself which unit's it is. (I am assuming here that 1bderdf.com is an official entity and that this information is meant for the public.)

This will however lead to a difference in training standards. Given 2 of the unit's who are training their own would have recruits at a good standard already and will likely not be repeating the same training for the benefit of those who don't attend occupied posts, and therefore don't have the oppertunity to train on proper equiptment regularily.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riflemangundy View Post
    Recruit Training on Bere Island is of no more. All or Any recruit training to be done by the home units. BACK TO THE GOOD OLD DAYS AT LAST
    You bastard, you posted that, while I went on a nice longwinded one!!! Fecker!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    TD : TI 12/07 "Planning for Recruitment in the RDF" is what you want.

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.

Post Thanks / Like
    "That may be how its done in your old unit, but it isn't how we do it here".

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yarr. Back to old-style half-wits again.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    TD : TI 12/07 "Planning for Recruitment in the RDF" is what you want.

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.
    I kind of agree and disagree with you here. It means there is no standard across the board. But It also means those recruits who have put in the time and learned loads before Recruit camp are not held back by those who haven't.

I was on Bere Island in 2007 (I think), and was trained by some Infantry lads, at the time I thought they were fantastic, putting on that whole "USMC Drill Instructor" Routine, complete with USMC cadences, but now that I have matured a bit I realise it was all Bull. I came back with worse marching than I went down with. I was being trained by a Cpl who had literally come off her Pot's course the week before, and while she wasn't bad, noone was keeping an eye on here to make sure she was OK. I took it about as serious a most do. (That is, Irish college with a bit more discipline) I was out scoring one girl or another every night after I sorted my kit out. But still I can't help but think it was a bit stupid.

There was no instruction given on the ranges, just a Cpl, who I actually know now, who was told to just make sure I didn't shoot anyone. (Not me specifically obviously.)

There were lads on ED and LD everyday for no reason, basically the Medics would put anyone who wanted it on ED or LD.

There were people who had never seen the AUG. Cpl's coming in the 30 mins before training began after a night on the urine.

We did get a visit from General Nash and some Colonel though, which was good.

It was all a bit false though now that I think back, it just was, in retrospect, a Joke.

The only new thing I remember learning down there was about the Arty Collar badges!!! That was off an Arty NCO who was instructing a different Platoon.

There were some good bit's but in general I found the Centralised training to be a bit of a joke.

I agree with it in principle, but the unit's hosting seemed to take it as all a good mess rather than saving it for the Mess at night.

Post Thanks / Like
    If anything, centralised recruit camps would have lead to savings in mandays (duplication of instructors and admin staff across the different units). Not to mention the shite standards that result.

Dazzler - recruits need as much full time training as possible. Yes, you can turn out people who tick all the boxes on the syllabus in 2 weeks, but the longer they get the more confident and capable they will be as soldiers, as opposed to being civilians in uniform with some dodgy weapon handling skills, who once spent a night in a forest.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    If anything, centralised recruit camps would have lead to savings in mandays (duplication of instructors and admin staff across the different units). Not to mention the shite standards that result.

Dazzler - recruits need as much full time training as possible. Yes, you can turn out people who tick all the boxes on the syllabus in 2 weeks, but the longer they get the more confident and capable they will be as soldiers, as opposed to being civilians in uniform with some dodgy weapon handling skills, who once spent a night in a forest.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!!! (But it was 3 night's!!!)

Thread Information