Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruit Camp

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iv had people come back from bere island hugging each other when they arrvied for training... Dont worry they didnt even dream of dream about hugging each other when i had finished.

the training was a joke. go look at the bebo pics.. a ****in joke.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riflemangundy View Post
    Iv had people come back from bere island hugging each other when they arrvied for training... Dont worry they didnt even dream of dream about hugging each other when i had finished.

Don't mention the Bebo pics, the pseudo-lesbian antics that happen are disgraceful to see online.

I have a thing,

Funny when it happens,
    Funny when you talk about it.

UNfunny when you see it on Bebo because Camwhore's can't stop.
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Moderated
    Post Thanks / Like
    ask the Air Defence recruits from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Batt. theyd have killed to be on previous recruit camps!

small units need these camps for their units as their small numbers cannot get the resources needed as where a gagle of infantry can.

i also firmly believe the infantry should run ALL recruit camps. then 2* training etc is down to the unit

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riflemangundy View Post

Well that means the instruction is shite - the unit commander should be getting a grip of his officers and NCOs and asking what sort of circus they're running, and Bde should be getting a grip of said unit commander for the shite troops that are being produced.

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoOut View Post
    i also firmly believe the infantry should run ALL recruit camps. then 2* training etc is down to the unit
    What dazzler and riflemangundy are saying would tend to indicate that the yahoos instructing on recruit camps (in the south at least) aren't competent enough to take command of their own bowel movements, never mind to train recruits properly.

Moderated
    Post Thanks / Like
    wasnt there a huge NCO sent home from the Glen last year due to unfair troops?

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    ask the Air Defence recruits from the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Batt. theyd have killed to be on previous recruit camps!

small units need these camps for their units as their small numbers cannot get the resources needed as where a gagle of infantry can.

The 4AD Have been in the last 3 2 years at least.

Infantry have been running previous camps in the South. Refer to my post on the last Page. Regarding the fact that it sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    What dazzler and riflemangundy are saying would tend to indicate that the yahoos instructing on recruit camps (in the south at least) aren't competent enough to take command of their own bowel movements, never mind to train recruits properly.
    While I know there are some good NCO's in Infantry. This is what I am basically saying.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 8th April 2009 at 22:26.

Duplicate Accounts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes some of the instructors are good but come off it,, iv had people still not competent to strip the fcuking steyr rifle like,,,,,

Bring back unit based training where the unit can send the best instructors available.
    Im not saying crucify them like our own RDFSAS friends just train them to have respect and confidence to do what they have to do because they were not getting it on the island

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't I have a good long rant about this a couple of months ago and the Equalizer called me on it ?
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    TD : TI 12/07 "Planning for Recruitment in the RDF" is what you want.

Noncentralized training is a kick in the nuts and a reversion to shite standards again.
    Cheers Trellheim

Am I reading this correctly ? Corps units' recruits will not be trained
    centrally by 62 FAR ?

Seeing as the Inf Bns and Arty Regts train their
    own in house anyway....

Units will be responsible for training their own recruits. Big disadvantages
    I see in this are:

1. Some units would not have sufficient staff to do this (Recruit FTT)

2. Instrs could be pigeonholed for years doing this, to the detriment of their
    own career progression...
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like

We can consolidate the recruits in a single recruit camp and take instructors from three battery's. Usually have 30 or 40 - it works well TBH, granted there are less logistical problems sending them to a centralised camp like Bere Island but it's not a nightmare when we run our own.
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Psuedo lesbian antics captured on Bebo

I dont beleive it

PM me the pics just to prove it
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by concussion View Post
    We can consolidate the recruits in a single recruit camp and take instructors from three battery's. Usually have 30 or 40 - it works well TBH, granted there are less logistical problems sending them to a centralised camp like Bere Island but it's not a nightmare when we run our own.
    The obvious solution to conducting Recruit Training for the RDF AD Btys is to centralise the
    training for all Btys in DFTC - loads of room, facilities, etc etc
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO:
    Recruit Module 2 - centralised at unit/bde level
    2*-3* - centralised at unit/bde level
    Corps training/annual camps - Corps Concentrations

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Didn't I have a good long rant about this a couple of months ago and the Equalizer called me on it ?
    Remind me
    As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Truck Driver View Post
    The obvious solution to conducting Recruit Training for the RDF AD Btys is to centralise the
    training for all Btys in DFTC - loads of room, facilities, etc etc
    Well, that's where everyone else will be training :wink:
    That's where I did mine and it will probably be there again this year.

However I reckon that the most obvious solution would be a brigade with the facilities, the instructors and the capability to do it centrally and not have to throw it back to individual units. Oh well.
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Remind me

HEREish

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    IMHO:
    Recruit Module 2 - centralised at unit/bde level
    2*-3* - centralised at unit/bde level
    Corps training/annual camps - Corps Concentrations
    The first two are already happening for Corps units !

Inf Bns train their own recruits in house......
    As you probably know, 62 FAR has done the Recruit Module 2 training
    for Corps units on E Bde for the last 2 years now (or is it 3 ?)

The Cavalry Corps are doing the third one for near on 10 years now, with the advent of the
    PSO exercises

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason there is going to be no fully centralised Recruit training in the Southern Brigade is because the man who brought it in, Lt. Col. O' Meara (PDF Ret) brought it in. And now that he is retired people want it back to the old ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Centralised recruit training:
    In East - 1 unit is tasked by Bde to run recruit training for all units in the Bde
    In South - 1 location is set by Bde for recruit training and all units bring their recruits there and train them
    In West - ?

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Centralised recruit training:
    In East - 1 unit is tasked by Bde to run recruit training for all units in the Bde
    In South - 1 location is set by Bde for recruit training and all units bring their recruits there and train them
    In West - ?
    I'm pretty sure one unit runs the camp, and request instructors from various Units because they don't have enough.

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion on this is that all recruit training camps should be conducted under the BTC, and that way they are at a higher standard. And standardised by the people who are running the show in terms of getting NCOs up to standard too.

However, I do recognise that the BTC would be under resourced to accomodate such an idea.
    But I would suggest that all NCOs requested to attend the camp should have achieved a grade B on a PNCO course.
    Thereby ensuring that they have a high standard of training and that they would be up to the task of training recruits, and ensuring that all instructors are up to a high level.
    As opposed to the way it is done at the minute - whereby it is down to whatever NCOs are available.

Post PNCO course, that instructor has grown into a better instructor, and is better suited for passing on what they know and moulding peole into soldiers in their own image.

I know this is not an ideal probability, but its a good place to start. The centralised training of all recruits is one of the very few good things that the re-org managed to successfully implement.
    Getting rid of it is a bad move in my eyes.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    This year would be the easiest year to have a fully centralised Recruit camp. There are only 232 recruits in the whole country, Are there any locations that could handle that number?

Or they could be split into 2 groups and train them like that.

Rather what they will do is the 3 Bde's having 1 recruit camp each.

If they had one Central Recruit course it would cost less and the best instructors could be requested for it.

How many Instructors would be needed.

1 Cpl. per 10 Bods. So 23 Cpl's.
    1 Sgt. Per 3 Cpl's, So 8 Sgt's
    1 CQMS for the camp. (Given there are actually 3 Coy's worth of Troops, Maybe there should be 3, and 1 BQMS, but there is no location that I know of, that is a likely location, which would hold the stores necessary for all these Coy's.)
    1 CS per 3 Platoons. So 3 CS's
    1 Sgt Maj per Comdt. So 1 Sgt. Maj.
    1 Lt. Per 1 Sgt. So 8 Lt's.
    1 Capt. Per 3 Lt's, + 1 Capt who is EO of the camp, so 4 Capt's.
    1 Comdt. Per 3 Capt. 1 Comdt.

So 44 NCO's/Officers. 232 Recruits.

That's 276 personnel.

Then Security, but it may be illegal for me to post the numbers needed up here so I won't. But in total maybe 70 more personnel just for general duties around the camp.

So that brings the number to 346.

This number includes what I assume would be needed for various Duties.

Is there any place that could handle all these Personnel for one 2 week period?

it would probably cost less to have the camp for one 2 week length of time rather than splitting

It could cause some Logistical problems I know. Such as, how do you fire 232 recruits in one 2 week period. But I still think it is doable.

Bere Island is out because the cookhouse couldn't handle that many people.

Lahinch has no range and the same.

The Glen is perfectly sized, but no Small Arms range. Would bringing them to the Curragh be Feasible?

Well this is just me thinking out loud. What do ye think of this thought?

EDIT: Also started Crunching the numbers on Pay. It would cost Approx €219,300 for the 2 weeks of training for just the Pay of Personnel who are listed above. This doesn't include the Cadre or Duties Personnel. It also doesn't include any ancillary costs.

I would imagine however that all cost's in the final cost would come to in the region of €400,000. Given the fuel consumption, Pay of Personnel due to more Duties, and Food would increase if the Training is Spread across the 3 Bde's, I feel this is Probably the most cost effective way to carry out the Training.

I know I have not thought of everything, but still, I think this is the way it should be done this year. If never again. Also, it could prove that the RDF can run something bigger than a Piss-Up.

So, thoughts, comment's, arguements.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 9th May 2009 at 02:52.

Post Thanks / Like
    how many bods can you fit into kilworth
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madmark View Post
    how many bods can you fit into kilworth
    With Tentage used, Alot, but how big is the Cookhouse there? That is another Good location actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    major construction in place in kilworth. However its stopped half way through due to the contractor folding
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Thread Information