Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eg what

can the retirement grat be changed- it was only recently signed in
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
      There is a strong rumour [ coming from outside the DF ] that there will be a levy on retirement lumpsums - e.g.
      It was doing the rounds last week. A levy of 17.5% was mentioned. One of the teachers' unions took legal advice on that some time ago and that advice was that it's not legally possible. Of course the flip side of that is that lawyers differ, workers pay the price.

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
      eg what

can the retirement grat be changed- it was only recently signed in
      They won't change it. They'll tax it.
      Last edited by Groundhog; 30 March 2009, 19:04.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      Originally posted by hedgehog
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog View Post

They won't change it. They'll tax it.
        I hear that too. They will tax a fairly high portion of it. The dudes who hung on in there for the 31 years will be shafted a little methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by ICUN View Post
          Maybe the DF will get the "express sanction of the dept" seeing as it is an organisation that relies totally on rank and appointments to function properly, more so than a civil service dept or local authority office. I'm sure its the same for the Guards.
          You have placed a lot of importance on the organisation of the defence forces. Consider instead the output it provides compared to the civil service you despise so much. We have managers too. When they retire, they also need to be replaced.
          Much legal function is provided to senior civil servants. People who provide social welfare payments etc, all these decisions have to be made by people at certain grades, and this is laid down by legislation.
          I think the public would be more worried that there is no senior civil servant to approve their welfare payment, rather than the Army having only has 19 sergeants to pick for BOS instead of 20.
          The DF is the weakest voice in these affairs. "Frontline services" are things like Motor tax, water rates, VRT, Social welfare etc, and not "I.C Firing Point". If savings have to be made, you can be sure that the "frontline services" will be the ones maintained. Even the Gardai are suffering greatly from this decision.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          There is a strong rumour [ coming from outside the DF ] that there will be a levy on retirement lumpsums - e.g.
          We had a number of retirements last week on the strength of this rumour.
          Last edited by Goldie fish; 30 March 2009, 21:18.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I cant wait to see what happens

when the current cadet class are finished training

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
              I cant wait to see what happens

when the current cadet class are finished training
              Was just thinking the same thing. Similarly for any career courses currently underway.

Comment

The overseas will also kick up a dust storm

a lot of very senior officers go overseas in an acting up appointment

Comment

Sorry HH 17.5% was the figure mooted in the missing eg.

As to legality, all that is required is a change to the taxes consolidation act, unless it's in the constitution most things are up for change.

What happens to PDF 1-pippers ? they can't be promoted now either.
                  "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

They can of course be promoted to the rank, but not recieve the wage or allowences associated with that rank.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

I could be way off the mark here, in fact it is a huge possibility.

But Did that say Contracts would not be Renewed?

Are lads who enter the PDF not on an initial 5 year contract. Will these contract's be renewed?

I know I am probably off the mark, please correct if I am.
                      I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

You might be spot on

Comment

If I am, then the whole reason the 5 year contract thing was brought in goes Balls up. The average Age of Pte's will rise rise to fairly high levels.
                          I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

if any group of civil/public servants are to be exempted from the cutbacks, experience tells me it will be pdf officers;
                            in the very unlikely event they are affected, it will be to a minimal extent;

Comment

You have placed a lot of importance on the organisation of the defence forces. Consider instead the output it provides compared to the civil service you despise so much. We have managers too. When they retire, they also need to be replaced.
                              Jesus aren't we a bit defensive. I don't "despise" the civil service. I know they have managers etc. but by definition, I dont think there is an organisation that relies as much as the army on rank, promotion, career courses etc. for it to function properly. Maybe the Guards as well but they dont have as many ranks. With my comment I am particularly thinking of overseas appointments, many which can only be filled by people acting up to a rank above them - not a fair proposition if they are getting paid properly for their work.

when vacancies arise Departments/agencies etc must reallocate or reorganise work or
                              staff accordingly.
                              Difficult to make that work in the DF.

Comment

if any group of civil/public servants are to be exempted from the cutbacks, experience tells me it will be pdf officers;
                                in the very unlikely event they are affected, it will be to a minimal extent;
                                Tell that to all the Lt's who wont be getting promoted in July.

What experience is telling you PDF officers will be exempt? Were they exempt when this was done before in the 80's?

Comment

Working...
                                X