Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  3
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Will this now effect people on the RDF Potential officers, standards and potential NCO courses too? The Pots Officers already have a year done.

Cadets will hardely be stopped from being commissioned either? I can see the minister being asked to let the current batch of almost trained PDF and RDF officers to go through given the investment already put in by the state in their training.

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
    http://www.1bderdf.com/

note the thing at the end regards recruiting
    Saw that myself last night. I suppose all that can be said is.

RIP RDF. 2005 - 2009ish.

I have more on this subject. in fact I have a whole huge stream of thought in my head right now, but can't put it up now. Definitely going to put it up later.
    I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    think there is a possibility of a bombshell today for all of us , then again it could just be the ARW , (rumor):confused:
    in two years time the numbers will be so low and the age profile so high and top heavy as to be next to useless,

being part of a group for last few years who put a lot of time / effort into recruiting we are just seeing a return on the hard work having some on POTs courses 3 * 2* and a bright recruiting pool the time and effort seems to have been rewarded. if the RDF survives it will be back to the start line again ,
    regards courses no one knows yet but the answers are coming today apparently , there appears to be total confusion amongst officers / cadre as no one is giving definite answers as some one who is supposed to be off on course soon it a real pain
    Last edited by greyfox; 7th April 2009 at 09:38.
    "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gardai are saying if every promotion/recruitment goes over lenihans desk its in effect politicising recruitment/promotions. http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0407/garda.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
    think there is a possibility of a bombshell today for all of us , then again it could just be the ARW , (rumor):confused:
    in two years time the numbers will be so low and the age profile so high and top heavy as to be next to useless,

being part of a group for last few years who put a lot of time / effort into recruiting we are just seeing a return on the hard work having some on POTs courses 3 * 2* and a bright recruiting pool the time and effort seems to have been rewarded. if the RDF survives it will be back to the start line again ,
    regards courses no one knows yet but the answers are coming today apparently , there appears to be total confusion amongst officers / cadre as no one is giving definite answers as some one who is supposed to be off on course soon it a real pain
    It is only the budget measures that are being announced today so only the likes of tax and possibly the headlines of cutbacks, the estimates (expenditure) aren't being announced untill after the Dail's Easter break (they are back on 26th April).

Personally I don't mind cuts, I remember when things were improving around 2002/3, so long as they are fair & timely!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is make sure you attend your UNPAID training and plan what camps/courses you are going to do well in advance.

ltsmarty
    Post Thanks / Like

Manday juggling !

Wrt the previous comments on courses, and due to suspension of promotion & recruitment, career courses have really come into the limelight. (as for wasting mandays )
    Consider the following example:
    The Pot NCO Cse in 1 S. Bde BTC has about 60 students & 10 staff, each doing 21 days FTT, takes 1470 days. If this was cancelled, 490 days would at least come back into the manday pool, provided the 70 do 14 days FTT.
    Now, Each unit in the South has been allocated a manday allowance, and with certain strengths at present, members will not be able to do 14 days FTT, not by lack of commitment, but by virtue of mandays. Yes, one can argue that Bde HQ gave out the wrong allocation, but with 19000 available, someone has to suffer.
    Now, Full Gratuity (14 days FTT) becomes an issue !

So, by re-allocating the 490 days, the bde itself could offer the general mass a better equilibrium.
    This methodology could be applied to all promotion courses ! , including Recruits !

Now, I'm not considering the negativity of the personal trg aspects lost here, but focusing solely on numbers, which is what the PDF higher level will be doing !

So, its all about playing with the manday pool !

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaysus somebody might be listening to you Marty... just got word the Standard NCO's course has been cancelled
    "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there much point in continuing with providing career course FTT for a group of people who won't be promoted at the end of it?

Edit.. Just reading that about the standards course.. things seem to be moving very fast.
    Last edited by glic; 7th April 2009 at 12:23.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by glic View Post
    ... things seem to be moving very fast.
    Thats whats worrying... God knows the Army in this country isn't used to moving anything fast....
    "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Llorrac View Post
    Jaysus somebody might be listening to you Marty... just got word the Standard NCO's course has been cancelled
    that for certain i was supposed to be on that ,, but could not get a definite answer over weekend ,, as some one who attends more then my fair share of unpaid training and planned it well in advance because of fitness ect it is a kick in the stones as i turned down other opportunity's to attend it , the timing is brutal if it is ,
    Looking at it from a non personal time commitment point of view it probably right to share out the 21 man days i would use up on it as our unit has been slashed maydays ,

Post Thanks / Like

std nco cse

just to confirm the std nco cse IS NOT CANCELLED. it is still going ahead.
    Lock and load

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EL_CAPATIANO View Post
    funnily enough i was told that it was canceled the upcoming week any way great the way army cannot agree on anything,:confused:

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell enough people it has been cancelled when it isn't... nobody shows up...et viola, you have to cancel it...

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recruitment suspended?Just noticed Army Trainee Technician Scheme 2009 on military.ie. Any idea what the story with that is

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EL_CAPATIANO View Post
    but wouldnt the successful students be help at their current rank considering there is a Promtion embargo on (so whats the point) plus units are hardly going to be sending Pots forward if its being taken from their Manday allotment and then havign to cancel Summer camps (which have been cut from 2 to 1 week)

looks like we be saying adios to the Grat me thinks
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's only cancelled if your offically told by your cadre staff. Don't listen to rumours I'm off now to train my NINE recruits in my platoon as the rest have been told they are not required.
    :confused: ONCE YOU HAVE THEM BY THE BALLS , THEN YOU CAN WIN THEIR HEARTS AND MINDS ! :

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading a document today that seemed to suggest that it was only Officers who were not getting promoted. It stated that the current lads on the Pots Officers course will not be commissioned as planned in *insert month here*.

It also stated that there will not be promotions from 2/Lt. - Lt. and from Lt. - Capt.

It stated that 260 potential recruits who have completed everything but have not been signed on yet will not be taken on. and over 1000 pothential at various stages of Attestation will not be continuing any further in their attestation.

It states nothing of Promotions for Non-Commisioned ranks.

As I say, I read this with my own eyes. But I am still not completely sure what it means.

(Mods, if this is not OK to post please Edit out. thanks.)

I also heard, but didn't read myself, that there are going to be some Sub-units around the country packed in.

I am thinking it will be the small one's in places like Duagh and whereever. Generally back arse places. but that is Hearsay and speculation so take it with some salt please.
    Last edited by Dazzler; 8th April 2009 at 20:37.

ltsmarty
    Post Thanks / Like

Corrections

Hey Dazzler,

That said document was not in the format you posted.
    It was a query from D Reserve to higher authority seeking clarification on the ranking groups you mentioned, to ascertain if they will suffer negatively (i.e. not get promoted or recruited) as a degree of last weeks public service announcements.

Likewise , with the sub-unit restructuring, its more than the 'back-arse areas' will suffer !!!

2/Lt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltsmarty View Post
    Hey Dazzler,

That said document was not in the format you posted.
    It was a query from D Reserve to higher authority seeking clarification on the ranking groups you mentioned, to ascertain if they will suffer negatively (i.e. not get promoted or recruited) as a degree of last weeks public service announcements.

Likewise , with the sub-unit restructuring, its more than the 'back-arse areas' will suffer !!!
    Sorry if I am wrong then, I just gave a quick once over and was trying to work from Memory. But I am pretty sure I got the gist of it right, unless I didn't!!

Yes, I am aware it will be everyone suffering, but I speculate that the small unit's with training hut's that are rented will be done away with. (Pure speculation.)

ltsmarty
    Post Thanks / Like

Restructuring

Yes, count yourself blessed if you parade in an occupied post !

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's only cancelled if your offically told by your cadre staff. Don't listen to rumours I'm off now to train my NINE recruits in my platoon as the rest have been told they are not required.

Your cadre staff are not part of your chain of command and have no business in this matter and in general are famously ill-informed of the exact status of matters.

The only person who can refuse an attested recruit is Officer i/c Records and Data Management
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Sergeant
    Post Thanks / Like
    So does anyone have a definite answer in relation to this "issue" with the current recruitment "fiasco" for want of a better word.
    Or even a progress report on how it is being managed?

I am not prone to speculation and so forth, but I am hearing that geneflection might be a viable solution to it. Which is a testament to how bad it could get.

Post Thanks / Like
    i fear like my own experience today that the definite answer is purely based on whom you ask , it seems to be all up in the air at the moment, a commandant asked me Sunday if i had read about an RDF embargo in the paper Friday ,, !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Std. NCO and Pot. NCO course are going ahead. Students on both will be allowed to exceed the 7 days most others are looking at, ditto for instructors. No attestations beyond 27 March (we got one very lucky one attested on the 25th) and no promotions for anyone. To those one career courses who have been told there's no point doing them as you won't be promoted, bear in mind you will be eligible as soon as the embargo is lifted.
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Thread Information