Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A similar allocation for larger units, same question.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• No allocation of recruits.

Have kept retention to an ok level. Could have been a lot better if it wasn't for personal grievances between some higher ups (PDF) and that or CO now seems to be content with getting their picture taken at orienteering events rather than progressive and active military training that the guys that make up the unit are crying out for.
      "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        No allocation of recruits.

Have kept retention to an ok level. Could have been a lot better if it wasn't for personal grievances between some higher ups (PDF) and that or CO now seems to be content with getting their picture taken at orienteering events rather than progressive and active military training that the guys that make up the unit are crying out for.
        Seems to be far too much emphasis on orienteering in the last year or two. I know its a pretty important skill to posess but i have noticed a marked increase in the time and effort being put into this at the expense of other skills, namely tactical training recently.Seems to me that officers see this as something that can achieve tangiable results competition wise and raise prestiege in their units. Commendable but a terrible waste of everyones time if training is being sacrificed.

Comment

• Originally posted by amurph0 View Post
          Yeah, in our unit all the people who didn't make grat or only acquired a very limited number of mandays are now being written off as inactive.

Apparently we've gone from about 70 something in our unit to about 30.
          That is not in accordance with regulations and anyone of them can take a redress and they will win. To remain effective you do not have to attend annual training or meet the grat requirments. Any unit making people non-effective on that criteria is wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Barry View Post
            Tried asking them?
            Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            No.
            Maybe thats actually the answer.

No seriously. Many jobs nowadays have exit interviews.

Maybe we need to go out to these people, collect the gear the should no longer have and ask what it is that would have got them to stay.

I am not saying they would come back but they just might lead to some ways of keeping others in the future.

Originally posted by Bam Bam View Post
            I think the problem is that there is no endgame.

You train and train and train but....why?

As it stands you'll never get to do anything, bar more training, that will call on the skills you are trying to master.

Endgame for the reserve is to use your skills in an operational environment (overseas).

Were this achieved then retention would no longer be a problem, but it won't now thank you Fianna Fail
            I keep saying this but it doesn't have to be overseas.
            Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

• Why do people leave?

How often has training being cancelled moved or otherwise changed at the last minute?

The recruiting team promises something that cant be delivered or will take an age to, for example join S&T and you can get a truck licence, neglecting to tell them it will take 4-5 years to get it

Perceived poor kit, though i think we can all agree it has improved over the last 10-15 years.

Little tactical training or too few pyros to carry out a decent exercise.

Ridicule from the public, friends & family, fed in no small manner by the pdf.

An unclear promotion system.

No recognition of skills gained outside of the rdf

The Poisoner, i mean cook, in kilbride.

Bullsh1t when you get to the barracks gate.

My friends are leaving so I'm leaving too

I cant believe the nasty man/woman shouted at me.
              You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

• If people in the reserves want to retain privates then the answer is that there needs to be an incentive for the troops.
                Training wise and so on, all that training needs to come together.

Its not the responsibility solely of the DF to accomodate this. The responsibility also rests on the shoulders of officers and NCOs to get the job done.

And before people say "oh this and oh that" as the reasons why things fail to happen, try standing up for yourselves and getting your exercises and training programmes to run. And stand by what you want to achieve, and by doing so you'll come out on top and people will remain in the reserve because you'll have kept their interest.

Make a stand and stand by it. Stick to your guns and don't be swayed by the nay sayers.
                If someone wants to replace what you have planned, then ask ploitely "and what shall we replace it with SGT/CS/SIR/etc.
                And if they don't have a coherent programme that is realistic and achievable to replace one that is, then point out that they are being part of the problem and not part of the solution. So what if you step on their toes.

People that always offer excuses are always the same people that can't come up with the solutions.

Comment

• If people in the reserves want to retain privates then the answer is that there needs to be an incentive for the troops.
                  Training wise and so on, all that training needs to come together.

Its not the responsibility solely of the DF to accomodate this. The responsibility also rests on the shoulders of officers and NCOs to get the job done.

And before people say "oh this and oh that" as the reasons why things fail to happen, try standing up for yourselves and getting your exercises and training programmes to run. And stand by what you want to achieve, and by doing so you'll come out on top and people will remain in the reserve because you'll have kept their interest.

Make a stand and stand by it. Stick to your guns and don't be swayed by the nay sayers.
                  If someone wants to replace what you have planned, then ask ploitely "and what shall we replace it with SGT/CS/SIR/etc.
                  And if they don't have a coherent programme that is realistic and achievable to replace one that is, then point out that they are being part of the problem and not part of the solution. So what if you step on their toes.

People that always offer excuses are always the same people that can't come up with the solutions.
                  Jonesy is offline Add Infraction for Jonesy Report Post IP Edit/Delete Message
                  You know, after 23 years I'd never heard of that. Wow, you've shown me the light. FFS .

You volunteered to serve for 3 years or whatever ; not to pick the nights or parades you turn up on. Same thing every ARP; people crawl out of the woodwork then vanish again.

This - the RDF - is a volunteer service so turn up or f**k off.

On the training aspect of things I'm trying to get May-June next year arranged, we're nearly sorted apart from that; Will it get messed up due to Higher HQ having other ideas ? Bet your ass. Will we build a bridge and get over it ? Same answer.

Comment

• Found in dictionary: English > English.

volunteer /v'ɒlənt'ɪəʳ/
                    Synonyms:
                    adjective: voluntary, freewill, willing
                    volunteers plural, 3rd person present; volunteering present participle; volunteered past tense, past participle
                    A volunteer is someone who does work without being paid for it, because they want to do it. N-COUNT
                    She now helps in a local school as a volunteer three days a week.
                    Mike was a member of the local volunteer fire brigade.

This - the RDF - is a volunteer service so turn up or f**k off.
                    Where does the Grat fit in with all of this
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• The RDF Gratuity is intended to compensate the member for their effort, late buses home etc. and so on. It is not taxable and is not regarded as pay by DOD

{ PS Missed it for the first time ever this year, missed one of the requirements :( }

Comment

• I also prefer Oxford rather than whatever made up dictionary you pulled that out of.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
                        volunteer

• noun 1 a person who freely offers to do something. 2 a person who works for an organization without being paid. 3 a person who freely enrols for military service rather than being conscripted.

• verb 1 freely offer to do something. 2 say or suggest something without being asked. 3 freely enrol for military service rather than being conscripted. 4 commit (someone) to an undertaking.

— ORIGIN from French volontaire ‘voluntary’

My version was simply a google definition- try it yourself;

But I do prefer your dictionary- I really like the use of the word freely-

The RDF Gratuity is intended to compensate the member for their effort, late buses home etc. and so on. It is not taxable and is not regarded as pay by DOD
                        When I was serving the minister compensated me every tuesday night for my effort- with my pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          When I was serving the minister compensated me every tuesday night for my effort- with my pay.
                          Someone who attends all available RDF training run by their unit will only be paid for maybe 50% of the hours they spend in uniform, thanks to weeknight parades and unpaid field days/weekends.

Comment

• Where are you going with this ?

Yes, it may look like pay; I won't deny it. It's cash in hand once a year that you only get if you fulfil certain criteria such as

i) 7 days paid training
                            ii) certain numbers of unpaid hours
                            iii) fire arps

The €180 introductory Grat for a private after a year or so, if he attends 3.5 parades a month =7 hours for 10 months a year, works out at not a lot of shekels per hour.

It's also only paid in November.

Comment

• If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck then

to all intents and purposes its a duck-

Yes, it may look like pay

Someone who attends all available RDF training run by their unit will only be paid for maybe 50% of the hours they spend in uniform, thanks to weeknight parades and unpaid field days/weekends.
                              Where are you going with this ?
                              I have free time on my hands now and I want to volunteer myself for the betterment of my community

but I really like the version of volunteering that myself and Kermit ascribe to-

I dont want to do something to get paid ( albeit every november)

I just want to give something back to the COmmunity-

Do the Civil Defence get a similar gratuity-

Comment

• Is there any update yet on recruitment?
                                Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

Working...
                                X