Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i believe the naval service will recruit in the new year

Comment

• According to post #382 in this thread:

Most of the applications made before the ban may be invalid because of the amount of time that has past. So all brigades are now in the process of returning every application. They will accept new applications when recruitment commences. The western brigade has already finished doing this and at the moment has no applications. The other two brigades still have approximately 1,000 applications each, but all will be returned.

So basically there is no longer a back log of applications to go through.

Because this seems as though their trying to get ready to accept fresh applications would it be right to assume that they are planning on lifting the ban in the coming new year?

Comment

• Thanks.
        Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
          { PS Missed it for the first time ever this year, missed one of the requirements :( }
          Oh you silly man

Comment

• Originally posted by Quis Separabit View Post
            Seems to be far too much emphasis on orienteering in the last year or two. I know its a pretty important skill to posess but i have noticed a marked increase in the time and effort being put into this at the expense of other skills, namely tactical training recently.Seems to me that officers see this as something that can achieve tangiable results competition wise and raise prestiege in their units. Commendable but a terrible waste of everyones time if training is being sacrificed.
            IMHO orienteering is a excellent military sport - fitness & navigation! But it isn't the be all and end all

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck then

to all intents and purposes its a duck-
            So are premium payments for doing duties on weekends are pay? (or are they an allowance?)

Comment

• So are premium payments for doing duties on weekends are pay? (or are they an allowance?)
              I havent a clue as I dont get them-

but for some I would imagine they would be included as part of their wages that they receive for
              doing work in regard to thier occupation/career/job etc-

WHere are you heading with this one Dev, at least point me in the directions of your thoughts
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• You were comparing RDF grat with pay, it isn't it is to outset some of the expenses we have as members.

As a comparsion, I'm comparing SDA for weekends (an allowance) with pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  You were comparing RDF grat with pay, it isn't it is to outset some of the expenses we have as members.

I have no wish (really) to stir anything-

but where does it say the grat is to offset expenses- surely then the grat should be called

expenses and it would be a vouched system-

If its voluntary then its voluntary- without pre conditions.

as for the comparisions you used, I dont really know, sorry about that.

Comment

• Subject to the provisions of this Section of this Part of these Regulations, members shall be
                    eligible for gratuities as a measure of re-imbursement on account of losses, expenses and disabilities
                    incurred by them consequent on their obligations as such.
                    DFR R5 para 90, I see it as more of a thank you for attending a min level of training, to cover travel & other expenses, to compensation for loss of family time etc.

Comment

• That makes sense,

but if its designed as per the regs to re-imburse on account of lossess, expenses....

why hasnt everyone who is RDF received a grat

Comment

• That's a good starting point, wouldn't you say ? However, and I do think we did this here on the forum about 3 or 4 years afo, I even referenced a Dail question from the 60s or 70s on the topic IIRC.

The DODs position if I recall correctly is that you had to [ in the early days at least ] to do 7 days Annual Training to receive said Gratuity. The downright pigheadedness of the civil servants in this matter, I think RDFRA back in the day when this came up was that " They're turning up for the parades - but they can't attend the annual training = that shouldn't matter, you should still get grat as it's to cover the parades and not the Annual Training - which you do indeed get paid to complete "

But the Civil Servants or C & A or whoever was put in to say "No. Can't be having with that" said - you need 7 days to get the Grat.

This was the position in '86 when I joined. Luminaries such as Vickers may be able to say what the position was in the decades previous.

Two years ago the DOD mucked about with it again, and decided to have
                        3 or 4 levels of Grat depending on your rank
                        3 [different ] levels of Grat depending on whether you did 0, 7 or 14 days of training [ or did Integrated Training for the highest rate ]

and ruled out recruits and other people in their first year of service [ notwithstanding the fact that the expenses for everybody would be similar ]
                        they also made the Grat liable to completion of ARPs and a minimum number of training parades.

Lastly, payment of the Grat was moved from directly after your first 7 days, to Week 1 or 2 of December.

Also hilariously as willie says

The Reserve Defence Force Representative Association was consulted by my Department when the gratuity structure was being revised and the changes had their broad agreement and support.
                        Not getting at RDFRA here, I think that Willie's statement there is a considerable stretching of the English Language.

see http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com...&postcount=406

If you find that confusing then yes. Just like S3 etc.

see down the bottom of

the final thought on this is that it's impossible for me to earn the highesr rate I can, as you cannot currently do Integrated training.
                        Last edited by trellheim; 20 December 2009, 18:10.
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          You were comparing RDF grat with pay, it isn't it is to outset some of the expenses we have as members.

Correct me if I'm wrong but SDA is taxable isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                            This was the position in '86 when I joined. Luminaries such as Vickers may be able to say what the position was in the decades previous.
                            It was the same when I joined in '65 and, if I remember correctly, it was £6 for a pte. The 7 days had to be continuous.
                            "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vickers View Post
                              It was the same when I joined in '65 and, if I remember correctly, it was £6 for a pte. The 7 days had to be continuous.
                              Correct, and you did a 14 day camp then.
                              it will be long, it will be hard, and there will be no withdrawl
                              Winston churchill

Comment

• Among the vacancies are two flag officer positions in the Naval Service, which are the two most senior posts within the service apart from the commanding officer, or commodore.
                                Is their not only one Flag position? FOCNS

The department wanted the promotions to take place at lower ranks. Promotions at lower ranks are less costly than promoting officers into very senior positions.
                                DOD being pro junior ranks, first time for everything!

Mr O’Dea said promotion competitions needed to be run. He expected most of the promotions to take place before January’s end.
                                I presume this is the 50 they got the go ahead for.

Comment

Working...
                                X