Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment/Promotion Embargo (untill end of 2010!)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CS Gass View Post
    24 seems sort of tight for graduates, I'll be near 23 when I finish and I went straight from school
    I stayed back a year early in primary school and did 5 years in college and was just over 24 when I graduated.

Cadets is 28 on 1 Nov of the competition year.

Comment

• Here's a link to the updates on recent promotions

Heard a rumour too about 200 recruits in the east later this year too. apparently its to cushion the expected mass exodus from the army by the end of this year.

Comment

• Thanks for the help lads! If they do run a competition this year when do ya's think it'll be advertised? Sept sometime maybe?

Comment

• Some NCO promotions on the way:

ERROR 4.0.4Something  Went Wrong The page you are looking for was moved, removed, renamed or might never existed. Please Click on Home below to return to the main menu. HOME

Comment

• Originally posted by bored snipped:( View Post
            Here's a link to the updates on recent promotions

Heard a rumour too about 200 recruits in the east later this year too. apparently its to cushion the expected mass exodus from the army by the end of this year.
            I heard the same myself, although the number was a bit higher.

Comment

• From DAIL questions 24th February 2010

Defence Forces Promotions.

74. Deputy Seán Barrett asked the Minister for Defence the number of promotions by rank and appointment that have occurred within the Defence Forces since 20 January 2010; the number of acting up appointments made since that date; further to Parliamentary Question No. 69 of 20 January 2010, if all promotions have been implemented, and if not, the timescale by which all promotions will be implemented; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9260/10]

81. Deputy Pat Rabbitte asked the Minister for Defence the number of appointments that have been filled to date in 2010 in view of the recent decision to approve 50 promotions at senior level within the Defence Forces; when the outstanding posts will be filled; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9192/10]

Minister of State at the Department of Defence (Deputy Pat Carey): I propose to take Questions Nos.74 and 81 together.

Resulting from the Government Decision regarding the reduction of public service numbers and the reduced budgetary provision available for 2009, recruitment, promotions and acting up appointments in the Permanent Defence Forces were suspended.

However, in order to maintain the ongoing operational capability of the Defence Forces, a limited number of exceptions to the application of the measures to the Permanent Defence Force were sought in a submission to the Minister for Finance, in June 2009. The need for limited recruitment, promotions and acting appointments for the Defence Forces was outlined.

As was announced on the 24 November 2009, the Minister for Finance approved an allocation of 50 promotions, for the Permanent Defence Force. These promotions were approved to address priority operational and command requirements of the Permanent Defence Force.

In order that these promotions were allocated in a manner that gives protection to the operational capacity of the Defence Forces, Military Management reviewed existing vacancies in all ranks across the organisation as a whole, so as to prioritise those to be filled from the approved promotions.

Following on from the Military review and the identification of priority posts, a total of 9 Officer promotions and 15 enlisted promotions have been completed to date. The 15 enlisted promotions which include 11 Sergeants, 1 Flight Sergeant and 3 Company Quarter Master Sergeants (CQMS) have been completed since 20 January last. A further 12 enlisted promotions will be completed in the coming weeks as soon as the administrative procedures relating to them have been completed. A number of senior technical officer vacancies also remain to be filled. The residual approved promotions will be used to fill priority posts arising in the next few months.

In addition, since 20 January last, 2 posts have been filled through acting up appointments. Of these 1 officer is in a home appointment and 1 non-commissioned officer is in an overseas appointment.

Officials in the Department are continuing to engage with the Military Authorities in relation to the review of structures and posts required to meet the operational requirements of the Defence Forces in light of the Government decision to maintain a complement of 10,000 personnel.

I am glad to say that while these are challenging times, the Defence Forces have risen to the challenge and are organised, equipped and staffed in a manner, which will ensure that they can continue to deliver the services required of them by Government.

Comment

• From Dail 24th Feb 2010

Defence Forces Strength.

64. Deputy Jimmy Deenihan asked the Minister for Defence if discussions have taken place with a view to any downsizing of the Defence Forces, the merging of brigades and other units of the Defence Forces; the nature of decisions taken; the nature of proposals made as to any restructuring; the predicted cost savings that would result from any mergers or downsizing; the implications for facilities needed by the Defence Forces; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9286/10]

Deputy Pat Carey: The Defence Forces have improved in every respect since 2000 through the implementation of the White Paper. Arising from the White Paper on Defence, a modern well-equipped Defence Forces has been created capable of meeting the needs of Government and the public and ensuring value for money. The White Paper on Defence set out a figure of 10,500 personnel for the Permanent Defence Force as the strength sufficient to deliver on the roles laid down by Government for domestic operations and to provide a sufficient pool for rotation for overseas missions as well as maintaining sufficient depth across the required range of skills.

Notwithstanding the success of the White Paper, we are now in challenging times. The economic reality is such that the Defence Forces must contribute to the correction of the public finances. It is intended, with the support of the chief of staff and within the resources available, to retain the capacity of the organisation to operate effectively across all roles. I am aware of the impact of the moratorium on the Permanent Defence Force, in particular in light of the very high turnover rate that is part of any military organisation. Within the available resources, the Government is committed to maintaining the strength of the Defence Forces at a level of 10,000 for all ranks, which I stated in a previous reply, for which Government approval has been secured in the context of the budget for 2010. This reflects the reductions in personnel recommended in the report of the special group on public service numbers and expenditure programmes.

Officials from the Department are continuing to engage with the military authorities in a review of structures and posts required to meet the operational requirements of the Defence Forces in light of the Government decision to maintain a complement of 10,000 personnel. It is expected that this review will be completed in March. It would, therefore, be inappropriate for me to comment on the outcome of the review at this stage. Following on from this review, discussions will commence with the Department of Finance to agree an overall structure for the Defence Forces, which is sustainable within a figure of 10,000 serving personnel in the Permanent Defence Force.

I am glad to say that while these are challenging times, the Defence Forces have risen to the challenge and are organised, equipped and staffed in a manner which will ensure that they can continue to deliver the services required of them by Government. I am advised that at this time the Defence Forces retain the capacity to undertake the tasks laid down by Government at home and abroad.
                3 o’clock

Deputy Jimmy Deenihan: I have been advised that there have been serious discussions - I do not know whether the Minister of State can confirm this - about further downsizing the Defence Forces. In other words, downsizing them by stealth. If that happens might it lead to a reduction in the present number of brigades, namely, three, and to units within the Defence Forces? For example, I heard that the cavalry and artillery units will be merged. Can the Minister of State confirm that this will happen?

Deputy Pat Carey: Regarding the merging of brigades and other units, a review of the organisation of the Defence Forces is timely. The numbers will be maintained at 10,000. A sustainable structure to match this strength will ensure a continuation of the current excellent level of service. As I stated already, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the outcome of the review which has not yet been completed.

Regarding possible closures or further downsizings, the closure of barracks and the consolidation of Defence Forces formations into a smaller number of locations is a key objective of the 2009 White Paper on Defence. Four barracks were closed - Monaghan, Longford, Rockhill and Lifford. The Government has made no decision in regard to any other barracks nor are further closures under its active consideration at this time.

Deputy Jimmy Deenihan: Has the Minister of State any information on the merging of units, for example, the cavalry and artillery units? Because the Defence Forces are being downsized it is obvious that new structures are needed. However, does this mean the Defence Forces will be able to recruit and appoint positions at officer level? Will they be given the freedom to do that?

Deputy Pat Carey: The Government remains supportive of the Defence Forces and their personnel. The modernisation delivered by the defence organisation has been acknowledged. The defence organisation differs from other areas of the public service in having decreased in size. The Defence Forces remain modern and effective and it is intended to retain the operational capacity of the organisation across all its roles. At the same time, the defence organisation must contribute to the correction of the public finances.

I am aware of the impact that measures such as a moratorium on recruitment, promotion and acting appointments are having on the Defence Forces in the light of the very high turnover rate that is part of any military organisation. However, the moratorium is a crucial part of the Government’s approach to bringing public expenditure back into balance. In the light of the exaggerated impact of the measures on the Defence Forces, however, certain targeted exceptions are being sought to the measures. These limited exceptions are targeted at maintaining the operational capability and command arrangements of the Permanent Defence Forces. There has been very close consultation with the Chief of Staff at all stages.

Comment

• Originally posted by bored snipped:( View Post
                  Here's a link to the updates on recent promotions

Is there a decent chace that anyhting will come of the "rumour"?
                  Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Comment

• Met a lad I trained a couple of years ago who said he's heard the same rumour, that
                    there will be limited PDF recruitment later this year
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• The moratorium on recruitment is a joke.

Panels for recruitment are still up and running in several parts of the public service.

the governments are just being choosy where people are appointed too.

To sustain basic commitments to service recruitment in required.

I watched as 73 people were interview yesterday for a junior doctors appointment..and the most troubling part..not one of them was an Irish national.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I was just wondering there, had i stayed in the DF i would have completed my 5 year contract on Sunday last. Does that mean they could have just tossed me out or would I have been signed back on no problem so long as i met the requirements for another contract?

Comment

• Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
                          I was just wondering there, had i stayed in the DF i would have completed my 5 year contract on Sunday last. Does that mean they could have just tossed me out or would I have been signed back on no problem so long as i met the requirements for another contract?
                          You would have been signed back on as long as you met the requirements.

Comment

• Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                            Met a lad I trained a couple of years ago who said he's heard the same rumour, that
                            there will be limited PDF recruitment later this year
                            It isn't a rumour, it has been stated in the Dail it will happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                              great new thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                                Not really.

It was stated that they have permission in the 2010 Budget. But it doesn't mean that it's actually going ahead.

Until an official DF statement on the matter is released it's all hearsay

Comment

Working...
                                X