Official d f site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official d f site

Lads, is it just my over critical eye, or is the official defence forces site a bit hit and miss ?.
    If an outsider were to compare both sites, IMO gives an upto date account of the forces accross the board, be it equipment, organisation or deployments. Does anyone else think the press office need a gentle reminder that they should do an honest days work once in a while ?
    Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted by knocker View Post
    Lads, is it just my over critical eye, or is the official defence forces site a bit hit and miss ?.
    If an outsider were to compare both sites, IMO gives an upto date account of the forces accross the board, be it equipment, organisation or deployments. Does anyone else think the press office need a gentle reminder that they should do an honest days work once in a while ?
    The content of the site is fine in terms of the information contained, however there's alot to be said about the presentation. Perhaps a redesign needs to be outsourced with the stipulation in the contract of of an easily updateable content management system that would allow for stories and galleries to be updated on a regular basis.

It also has to be said that there has never been the same need for the Irish Defence Forces to advertise in comparison to other forces. Despite the recruitment bans over the years, the seeming paranoia or aversion over the use of the internet for publicity in the past, the size of the force has meant that in recent years there have been something like 6-8 applications for every general service place going and something like 30 per cadet. Perhaps the need isn't seen for a flashy regularly updated website, they have all the bodies they need. Having said that, i think they should have one with regular updates so joe & mary public know what their taxes are being spent on. Having said that the PR team site on facebook is updated almost daily with status updates about what various units are up to and there seems to be photographs uploaded every week or two. There's a link to the facebook page on www.dfmagazine.ie
    Last edited by northie; 30 April 2009, 02:52.

Comment

I just dont think its updated often enough, in the past I would have viewed it daily to find out what was happening in the DF but found it useless, 1 update every 2 months!
      Its a bit embarassing when compared to other forces websites, but its like northie says, we don't have the same need for bods as other armies so no real need for a flash website

Comment

That being said you have to admit they have improved their site greatly in the last 12 months.

Comment

Overall it is not too bad. It could do with a lick of paint as they say.

My only 'crib' with it would be the lack of involvement for the Reserve side of it as the photos on it are from 2005.

Apart from that, I would say the same as everyone else has said so far. Although I do like the facebook site.

Comment

You wanted RDF Photo's here are some new ones.
            I probably am wrong, sorry about that!!!

Please PM me to correct me.

But, not if I state an opinion, only if I state something as truth!!!

I have bad opinions but I stick by them!!!

Comment

No offence Dazzler but those photos are a year old.
              Which kinda is the point that I was making that the RDF element of it is not kept up to date.

Though the pics might have been updated in November 08 (Which is 6 months ago) the pics are all from March 08.

Comment

sorry guys

The more i look at it, the more dissapointed i am in the press office. Now correct me if im wrong, but arent there 3 variations on the mowag in service ? Why isnt there a picture of the cavalrys vehicle ? the medics mowags and the different infantry mowags?. How about the new air defence equipment, the air defence regiment hardly gets a mention. Its just being plain lazy. The press office should, as one of its duties, show the tax payers where their money goes especially in the current climate. Each arm of the army should have alot more coverage given to it. Its appears to be a cursory paragraph about what they do and thats it. As for the reserves, they should have their own website, as you fellas seem to put alot more effort into keeping upto date with pictures etc. In my opinion the press office are way too happy putting up the same updates as the papers and not really putting in any real effort.
                Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier - Samuel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by knocker View Post
                  sorry guys

Now correct me if im wrong, but arent there 3 variations on the mowag in service ? Why isnt there a picture of the cavalrys vehicle ? the medics mowags and the different infantry mowags?.
                  The Cav have 2 variations of the mowag. 1 has the HMG/grenade launcher which are interchangable as far as i know. And i think the other one has a 30mm cannon. Cav people feel free to butt in here. You have the common or garden type infantry mowag as well of course, and the ambulance mowag. And if you wanted to be very precise about it you also have the command cars. So that would make 5 i think.

Comment

Yeah, but that page is just as bad.

In fact, it has very little information on the reserves. And Artillery and medics don't get a mention on it where it comes to the page about courses.

Overall, its poor. The photos on it are not from 2009. Which is half the year gone already.

In short, I don't know who runs it, but they do a very poor job of it.

So knocker is right in his assessment of the page being poor. Its not over critical either.

Overall, the proof is in the pudding.

I think a RDF website should be run by a group of reservists, because they are more likely to put the effort into it and maintain it.
                    I would site the examples of the relavant bebo pages from an earlier thread as testament to this level of commitment. And the various examples of it being done right, being the standard that can be achieved.
                    Which could be emulated with a RDF website being run and maintained by responsible reservists in the administration of one.

As suggested by KNOCKER.
                    Last edited by mallen83; 5 June 2009, 17:40.

Comment

chuckle.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Well it might sound funny to propose that, but the website would be maintained by people at no cost to the DF.

So no wage bill...which would make it an attractive option.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                          chuckle.

"Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Originally posted by mallen83 View Post
                            Well it might sound funny to propose that, but the website would be maintained by people at no cost to the DF.

So no wage bill...which would make it an attractive option.
                            Its funnier when you realise its already being run by a "bunch of reservists" one of whom has already posted on this thread

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                              chuckle.
                              Originally posted by Vickers View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X