No announcement yet.

NS Replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was clearly surmising that if funding wasn't an issue, that might have been a route to take.
    And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
    • Funding is an issue.
    • Priority is the 200mile EEZ.
    • Seas off the west coast are getting bigger, requiring Larger ships, not smaller ones.

Forget CPVs for the NSR, they have not the capability, through no fault of their own, to operate them.

And the topic of this thread used to be providing a suitable vessel for the NSR. So read it over from the start, see what those in the NSR are suggesting THEY want. Then we can continue the discussion.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
      • Funding is an issue.
      • Priority is the 200mile EEZ.
      • Seas off the west coast are getting bigger, requiring Larger ships, not smaller ones.

Forget CPVs for the NSR, they have not the capability, through no fault of their own, to operate them.

And the topic of this thread used to be providing a suitable vessel for the NSR. So read it over from the start, see what those in the NSR are suggesting THEY want. Then we can continue the discussion.
      Well Goldie Fish, no guts, no black pudding.

Thanks for the separate thread, but I did as you asked, and looked through the whole NSR Replacement discussion.........I am not the first to suggest a vessel larger then a harbour launch!

C

Comment

The disparagy of current types within the NS is not due to role specific ships.

The CPVs were an oppertunistic purchase.

The Eithne was step in to the unknown.

An the OPVs were a natural follow on from the PVs.

While the NS would prefer one type and possible two EPVs there would be a lot of commonality required for maintainence and training.

We never really went down the road of different classes of ships as the bottom line was we needed patrol vessels and any other tasking was secondary.

The minesweepers were bought as Patrol vessels witha minsweeping capability , not the other way round.

Even any proposed heavy lift ship would have to have a patrol capacity.

Minor warfare vessels no longer meet our requirement for long range patrols and all the inbuilt factors we consider to be normal, hence we moved on from second hand ships.

While others may have ships that serve as a model for our requirements our requirements are quite unique and there fore anything we require has to come off the shelf as opposed out of some elses toy box.

The fact that people queue up to see what we use as patrol vessels and how we operate proves the point that while we do acknowldge the abilities of others , our own requirements are lead by what the guys who work them need.

A Flotilla of ex USN Perry/hazard class frigates with shiny missiles and helos would look lovely on paper but as PVs a waste of time.

Think of the role the NS carry out on a daily basis and then think role specific ships, you won't find anything you need unless you are prepared to build it yourself.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Working...
        X