Soldierproof Digital Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldierproof Digital Camera

Right. I've had two cameras break on me in the past two years and I'm getting p****d off with shelling out more of my hard earned currency to buy new ones.

I came back from taking some photos and switched it on to see white / black vertical blurry lines on the screen. Checked online and it seems its a problem which I can't fix and will cost me to repair. I can't understand it because I've never dropped it or gotten it wet.

So, can anyone here recommend a good camera for someone who lives an active life? Personal recommendations would be great and not just search engine links please.

Its not the camera but really how you carry it. Worth investing in a lowpro or similar pouch to carry it in.
    I have found pockets are not the best place. Also keep it stored with one of those gel poutches that keep moisture out. It'll last longer.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

aldi do a water proof to I think 30 meters for about 150 euro , pretty tough and big rubber buttons for useing when wearing a wet suit, given it to the kids and they havent managed to break it yet even when leaving it in buried in the garden sandpit.

Comment

I carry a Cannon Power shot A590 is with 4 X Optical Zoom and 8.0 mega pix.

normally in a plastic bag with a small packet of gel beads you get with items

to absorb damp. Works very good, fits in a pocket ok,

of course great care should be taken to prevent knocks or getting it wet.

Its also good to avoid exposing the memory card to any magnetic fields,

such as magnetic devices at shop checkouts for detecting security strips, magnets, etc..etc..

Also if not in continual use remove the batteries.

Comment

I agree that a good case is sufficient for most scenarios.
          If you really want something bombproof and are willing to spend a bit more,
          then these two came top of my list when I did some hunting for a kayaking camera recently.

If toughness your number 1 concern, the Olympus wins.
          I went for the Panasonic though because it had a better zoom, took HD video and uses SD cards. (I already had a few large SD cards)

Olympus Mju Tough 8000
          Cost on amazon: £245
          shockproof up to 2m, waterproof up to 10m,
          crushproof up to 100kg and freezeproof -10°C
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Mju-...dp/B001O2SA50/

Panasonic Lumix FT1
          Cost on amazon: £255
          Water Proof 3.0m, Shock Proof 1.5m and Dust Proof
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lu...dp/B001T0H00S/
          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

he he "Soldierproof"... That sounds like a challenge!
            "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

.... and there I was thinking that "soldier proof" meant that when you checked
              your pictures, that there wouldn't be compromising photos on it ....
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                Its also good to avoid exposing the memory card to any magnetic fields,

such as magnetic devices at shop checkouts for detecting security strips, magnets, etc..etc..

Why? Memory cards are solid state electronic "flash memory" devices, ie. a silicon chip. They are not magnetic memory devices, like for example a hard disk drive which can be found in many ipods. Magnets should have no effect at all on a memory card.

I personally use the Olympus Mju 790 SW (http://olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_mju_790_sw.htm). Waterproof, crushproof, shockproof, bombproof!

I have a video of an Olympus advertisement which shows this as a very tough little camera. I'd upload it as an attachment here, only the little paperclip icon for attaching files doesn't appear when replying to this thread!

I use mine for when I'm out hiking, kayaking, surfing, etc. For the water activities I have a nifty little neoprene case made by Olympus which straps on to my arm (see http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/20...sw__850_sw.htm), and I've not lost the camera to the sea yet! I've resisted the temptation to hop it off a concrete surface to test the shockproof feature, I'm happy just to trust them that it is shockproof.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. Keep them coming.

Comment

Explore Fisher-Price nursery essentials and toys for newborns and babies at Mattel.com. Shop top registry picks, developmental toys, and more!
                    Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.sigpic

Comment

Jaysus, Fred, you'd need a Nissan and trailer to carry that thing !!!
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
                        Why? Memory cards are solid state electronic "flash memory" devices, ie. a silicon chip. They are not magnetic memory devices, like for example a hard disk drive which can be found in many ipods. Magnets should have no effect at all on a memory card.
                        Hi David,

all I know is I "lost" 350 pictures taken at the Romanian Military Museum in Bucharest,

the only "odd" thing I did was carry the camera through a security screen in a shop and

place it near the device used for wiping security tags while paying for items at the

counter.

Connaught Stranger

Comment

i myself use the olympus 1030.like all in that range waterproof,shock and the rest.mine has been round the block few times.nevermind it been soldier proof its child proof,as it was bought for the reason of a holiday in florida,great in pool,great sound,top end camera, 10.1 megapixel,it has been dropped kicked,thrown out of pram,my son uses it for action shots, so its took a few knocks.
                          pixmania is wherei bought it,went to local fuji shop and they wanted near 500 for it,my family that travelled where so impressed they invested in one themselves,also i know of a friend that uses the 8000 version when canoeing.
                          my two cents

Comment

Have a look at the Canon PowerShot D10 Click Here

It’s a 12.0 MP camera, Waterproof and Shockproof. It is priced at just under €500, but I saw it priced at $350 in the U.S. I am even considering getting one to use in the places I cannot/should not use my dSLR!! You can get it in a camouflage colour scheme, and comes with a handy bungee attachment to lock it securely to just about anything (pictured below).

And with accessories

On a personal note, I am a fan of Canon Cameras, they make good Cameras and Lenses and would recommend them to anybody.
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Another option is the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 or 8000, both of them are MIL-STD-810, i.e. approved for use the United States Department of Defence and all US Military Branches. It's the same standard as the Panasonic Toughbook range meets
                              Last edited by ODIN; 11 July 2009, 02:40. Reason: Spelling mistake
                              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X