Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like

Soldierproof Digital Camera

Right. I've had two cameras break on me in the past two years and I'm getting p****d off with shelling out more of my hard earned currency to buy new ones.

I came back from taking some photos and switched it on to see white / black vertical blurry lines on the screen. Checked online and it seems its a problem which I can't fix and will cost me to repair. I can't understand it because I've never dropped it or gotten it wet.

So, can anyone here recommend a good camera for someone who lives an active life? Personal recommendations would be great and not just search engine links please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not the camera but really how you carry it. Worth investing in a lowpro or similar pouch to carry it in.
    I have found pockets are not the best place. Also keep it stored with one of those gel poutches that keep moisture out. It'll last longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    aldi do a water proof to I think 30 meters for about 150 euro , pretty tough and big rubber buttons for useing when wearing a wet suit, given it to the kids and they havent managed to break it yet even when leaving it in buried in the garden sandpit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I carry a Cannon Power shot A590 is with 4 X Optical Zoom and 8.0 mega pix.

normally in a plastic bag with a small packet of gel beads you get with items

to absorb damp. Works very good, fits in a pocket ok,

of course great care should be taken to prevent knocks or getting it wet.

Its also good to avoid exposing the memory card to any magnetic fields,

such as magnetic devices at shop checkouts for detecting security strips, magnets, etc..etc..

Also if not in continual use remove the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that a good case is sufficient for most scenarios.
    If you really want something bombproof and are willing to spend a bit more,
    then these two came top of my list when I did some hunting for a kayaking camera recently.

If toughness your number 1 concern, the Olympus wins.
    I went for the Panasonic though because it had a better zoom, took HD video and uses SD cards. (I already had a few large SD cards)

Olympus Mju Tough 8000
    Cost on amazon: £245
    shockproof up to 2m, waterproof up to 10m,
    crushproof up to 100kg and freezeproof -10°C
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Mju-...dp/B001O2SA50/

Panasonic Lumix FT1
    Cost on amazon: £255
    Water Proof 3.0m, Shock Proof 1.5m and Dust Proof
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lu...dp/B001T0H00S/
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    he he "Soldierproof"... That sounds like a challenge!
    "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    .... and there I was thinking that "soldier proof" meant that when you checked
    your pictures, that there wouldn't be compromising photos on it ....
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Corporal
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    Its also good to avoid exposing the memory card to any magnetic fields,

such as magnetic devices at shop checkouts for detecting security strips, magnets, etc..etc..

Why? Memory cards are solid state electronic "flash memory" devices, ie. a silicon chip. They are not magnetic memory devices, like for example a hard disk drive which can be found in many ipods. Magnets should have no effect at all on a memory card.

I personally use the Olympus Mju 790 SW (http://olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_mju_790_sw.htm). Waterproof, crushproof, shockproof, bombproof!

I have a video of an Olympus advertisement which shows this as a very tough little camera. I'd upload it as an attachment here, only the little paperclip icon for attaching files doesn't appear when replying to this thread!

I use mine for when I'm out hiking, kayaking, surfing, etc. For the water activities I have a nifty little neoprene case made by Olympus which straps on to my arm (see http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/20...sw__850_sw.htm), and I've not lost the camera to the sea yet! I've resisted the temptation to hop it off a concrete surface to test the shockproof feature, I'm happy just to trust them that it is shockproof.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses guys. Keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fred the red View Post
    Jaysus, Fred, you'd need a Nissan and trailer to carry that thing !!!
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Why? Memory cards are solid state electronic "flash memory" devices, ie. a silicon chip. They are not magnetic memory devices, like for example a hard disk drive which can be found in many ipods. Magnets should have no effect at all on a memory card.
    Hi David,

all I know is I "lost" 350 pictures taken at the Romanian Military Museum in Bucharest,

the only "odd" thing I did was carry the camera through a security screen in a shop and

place it near the device used for wiping security tags while paying for items at the

counter.

Connaught Stranger

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    i myself use the olympus 1030.like all in that range waterproof,shock and the rest.mine has been round the block few times.nevermind it been soldier proof its child proof,as it was bought for the reason of a holiday in florida,great in pool,great sound,top end camera, 10.1 megapixel,it has been dropped kicked,thrown out of pram,my son uses it for action shots, so its took a few knocks.
    pixmania is wherei bought it,went to local fuji shop and they wanted near 500 for it,my family that travelled where so impressed they invested in one themselves,also i know of a friend that uses the 8000 version when canoeing.
    my two cents

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/29...0_sw_18625.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look at the Canon PowerShot D10 Click Here

It’s a 12.0 MP camera, Waterproof and Shockproof. It is priced at just under €500, but I saw it priced at $350 in the U.S. I am even considering getting one to use in the places I cannot/should not use my dSLR!! You can get it in a camouflage colour scheme, and comes with a handy bungee attachment to lock it securely to just about anything (pictured below).

And with accessories

On a personal note, I am a fan of Canon Cameras, they make good Cameras and Lenses and would recommend them to anybody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option is the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 or 8000, both of them are MIL-STD-810, i.e. approved for use the United States Department of Defence and all US Military Branches. It's the same standard as the Panasonic Toughbook range meets
    Last edited by ODIN; 11th July 2009 at 02:40. Reason: Spelling mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ODIN View Post
    ...Olympus Stylus Touch 6000 or 8000...
    I think that you probably meant "Tough"

Its called a Stylus in the US but over here its sold as the Olympus Mju Tough 8000.
    Panasonic also have two names for the other camera that I had mentioned.
    In the US, they sell it as the Panasonic Lumix TS1 and here its called the FT1.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mistake corrected!!! The various camera model names in different continents is a bit annoying, my new camera is the EOS 1000D in Europe, the EOS Rebel XS in the States, and the EOS Kiss F in Japan. It was slightly confusing when looking for updated software
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone..

I want to use camera to capture video and get every frame of this video for further use.
    so i want to know how to use camera api , anyone can give me some good tips or useful link?
    Thank in advance. I will appreciate.

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Olympus Pen E-P3

I have been looking around for quite a while trying to decide on a good compact camera that I can carry around more or less all the time both for work and leisure and I am quite taken with the above - any observations?

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by timhorgan View Post
    Olympus Pen E-P3

I have been looking around for quite a while trying to decide on a good compact camera that I can carry around more or less all the time both for work and leisure and I am quite taken with the above - any observations?
    To be honest tim, it really depends on what you want it for, in a lot of cases, the cameras fitted to mobile phones are giveing the quality of a good film ''instmatic'' from about 10-15 years ago, they are just a bit clumseyer to use. Best thing to do with any camera is borrow one and try a few shots with it, just like test driving a car, if your comfey with it then it's a good 'un, if not then you know yourself...
    "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
    Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Banned User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks T,
    My main requirement is for a camera that I can carry around with me so I think that the Pen suits the bill and it will be my one indulgence for 2012. Thanks for the good advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    this is really helpful

thanks

Thread Information