No announcement yet.

The DF & An Bord Snip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare this with a larger country like NZ yet they have less than 10 Permanent Occupied locations

Attached Files
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• Originally posted by ZULU View Post
      Here ya go. Makes you wonder
      How up to date is the doc? I know the Monaghan Rented GAA pitch hasn't been used in months

Comment

• Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
        It must make sense to amalgamate a no of units and have up to strength Units with a reduced officer corps , less numbers in admin , stores , lead swingers etc etc. Also consolidate training at one location , Curragh . Close a few barracks, For a small DF it si too scattered , too many units , a high officer to Men ratio and probably a relaiverly low percentage of front line deployable troops. However when were decisions ever made based on military capability and efficency
        Agreed the first round of barracks closures around the 1998-2000 mark, were to increase efficiency & capability and the money made went back into the DF.

What is definitely needed is more barracks closures but that will take money out or 1 local economy and put it into another (the chances are in a city where the economy isn't as bad). It will also add to somes expenses (commuting), and money will have to be spent developing extra accomodiation etc.

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
        From an RDF point of view as the number of fulltime locations close and the remaining locations have to house extra troops, stores, equipemnt, etc and taking into account the time window for FTT, mainly late June to mid August, locations/space for RDF FTT must be becoming an issue.
        Correct!

I have no direct knowledge, but there is one location that houses an Inf Bn, all the CS and CSS units and I assume HQ elements, etc for the BDE so I would assume that space is at a premium there.
        Athlone?

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Have always wondered this.... WHY does FTT have to be concentrated
        in this timeframe, with the remainder of the year left idle ?
        Since I joined in 98 (if not before) there was always a course/camp at Easter. This was in the days of the 7 day camp (that we are now back to). In the last couple of years there was also the option of a winter camp (around Halloween). None this year!

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
        Interesting that Lahinch and Tralee are listed as "Training Locations"...
        Tralee has a unit parading there on a weekly basis, not sure about Lahinch.

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
        I would note that VFM Review is in progress, and a considerable cost of our grant-in-aid would go to heating and lighting, where we own the land.
        Do PDF units get a grant-in-aid as there budget for anything or does everything go to the the central funds (eg light & heat, stationary, etc etc)??

If the RDF was centralised into barracks tomorrow and grant in aid was stopped, they would save over € 300,000 a year. But then the money for somethings would have to be placed into other budgets (eg stationary, lighting etc) but probably wouldn't be as high.

Now, if you looked at VFM On the Debit Side, [ i.e the accountants lookout ] then cost-of-the-RDF is damn cheap for what you get; the problem there is defining "what-you-get" [ i.e the Credit side ].
        And unless we are allowed by the DOD/DF to do more, immeasurable!

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Tralee has a unit parading there on a weekly basis, not sure about Lahinch
          There is a sub unit nominally based in Lahinch...
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• RDF Owned properties - Where to chop?

Never a clearer argument for centralisation

Attached Files
            "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Comment

• I have no direct knowledge, but there is one location that houses an Inf Bn, all the CS and CSS units and I assume HQ elements, etc for the BDE so I would assume that space is at a premium there.

Athlone?

A bit further south.
              I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
              Who is number 1?

Comment

• I'm not so sure about the Youghal one. My understanding is they share a tiny bit of ground with the Coastguard, at the rear of the Garda station. In any event, the state already owns the land, even if the RDF were not there, for purpose of Right of way..

Equally, McCann Barracks in Templemore is a misnomer, as the "barracks" is in fact the Garda College, and the RDF have a building in the corner.

I'd say many of the locations are not wholly owned by the RDF.
                Last edited by Goldie fish; 24 May 2010, 16:05.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• GF.

Just going by what was presented in the Dail. This provided acerages and locations.

There is anther map in progress showing the locations of all rented property.

Comment

• Just found this:

It seems to be how Bord Snip arrived at there conclusions on Defence

Comment

• For 2009 maybe.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Bounce - lets see what 2011 brings !
                        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/72804bb4760386f380256c610055a16b/91e524e7aa664a2d8025796400599ef0/$FILE/DoD%20CRE%20Submission%20Redacted.pdf

DoD response to CRE

Comment

Working...
                          X