X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
    SO far its harsh but

maybe we needed it
    It could have been far worse. Though I think it a little unfair to demand a further reduction in numbers from the only organisation that actually bucked teh trend of public service expansion.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Could someone clarify for me is the 500 members they plan to cut from the DF, PDF or RDF?
      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Numbers

The reality is that the effective strength of the RDF is probably not much more than the figure of 4,900 they recommend. This is borne out by the figures in respect of gratuities paid last year and recent figures provided in response to Dail questions on effective strength. A figure of less than 1,500 was given for the East.

Comment

The reduction of 20 DoD employees interests me. Since the 1980's the PDF has been reduced to 10,500 from about 16,000 and the reserve has falen from 22,000 to about 12,000. I'm open to correction on my figures. How has the numbers employed in the DoD kept pace with these reductions? Or has it? What are the old ratios and the modern ones?Will and reductions be in the actual DoD civil service ranks or will it be the likes of BFW workers etc. Do the Sir humphries always look after themselves? Is there a story here Dublinmick?

Comment

Numbers

"Last year 4,321 reservists utilised 81,000 man-days in terms of paid training. The total number on the books is 7,500."

Willie O'Dea TD, response to Parliamentary Question on 11 May 2009

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
              Could someone clarify for me is the 500 members they plan to cut from the DF, PDF or RDF?
              I think it specifies 500 PDF and a cut of 66% in the RDF.
              sigpic

Comment

The breakdown is in Appendix 2; The knock-on effect for both CS4s is not specified.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                  It is extremely clever and devious

I was petrified that would would recomend all our future overseas be with the UN

because they refund whereas PFP etc you pay as you go
                  No Chance, the Eu wouldn't stand for it.

We after all now have to pay our own way in defence.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                    No Chance, the Eu wouldn't stand for it.

We after all now have to pay our own way in defence.
                    But we're neutral and sure everybody loves us because we're great crack. So every few years the government will shave another few hundred off the DF and eventually there won't be one.
                    sigpic

Comment

The full effect of the recommendation for Defence:

Cut PDF personnel by 520 (4.5%) over 2-3 years
                      DOD staff cut by 20
                      Cuts in expenditure - € 25m in pay, € 20 m in non-pay (see below) plus savings of € 8.5m elsewhere
                      Consolidation of the command structure (but preserve the 3 brigade structure) total of € 53.4m
                      Reduce the RDF by at least 4900 (2 thirds)
                      More barracks closures & disposal of surplus properties ASAP! (33 already identified by DOD)
                      Review Cathal Brugha with a view to sale and moving of personnel to other existing DF locations
                      Charge full rents to overholders of married quarters
                      Disband the Equitation School
                      DOD to prioritise VFM review of RDF
                      Extend the timeframe of the NS fleet replacement programme
                      DOD/DF charge the full cost of support to other agencies to the other agency
                      DOD/DF charge the full cost of MATS missions to other Departments (with a view to potential outsourcing)
                      Overseas peacekeeping expenditure to be counted as part of overseas aid (report says it is against OECD rules)
                      End participate in Chad in March 2010
                      Rationalise overseas commitments to a smaller number of key missions
                      Deferral of the replacement of Asgard II indefinitely & terminate the sail training scheme
                      No proposals with regard to Army Pensions

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Charge full rents to overholders of married quarters
                        All married quarters should have been sold off long ago. Certainly these moochers should have been evicted before now.
                        sigpic

Comment

Its important to remember that these are proposals, and are not set in stone. And there will be opposition to the plan.

Asgard is a key example, they've suggested getting rid of it for years ago, but didn't.

Chad for example is another area, were we to leave there, it would annoy the EU.

Comment

Surely the reduction in reserve could be done with the stroke of a pen. I mean is it the overall strenght they want to reduce or the effective strenght. The books have lied for years as to the numbers. just stop lying. Bord snip appeased.
                            Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                            Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                            do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Herald
                              Have the replacement NS ships been mentioned?
                              Yes.
                              Not too keen on the wording. It infers that the need for new ships is not a real one, which is typical coming from a bunch of number crunchers.

Extend the time-frame of the vessel replacement programme
                              The D/Defence notes that there is a ‘requirement’ to initiate a vessel replacement programme to
                              sustain the Naval Service flotilla as certain ships reach the end of their operational lifespan. In the
                              current budgetary crisis, the Group recommends that this replacement programme be extended over
                              a longer timeframe than initially envisaged.

Page 52(depending on your version of Adobe)

The same people suggest that the Gardai Don't need new patrol cars either... Oh and Lets close lots of Garda stations, to double the mileage thats on the current ones!

Last edited by Goldie fish; 16 July 2009, 22:28.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by paul g View Post
                                Its important to remember that these are proposals, and are not set in stone. And there will be opposition to the plan.

Asgard is a key example, they've suggested getting rid of it for years ago, but didn't.

Chad for example is another area, were we to leave there, it would annoy the EU.
                                Have the EU not ended their input there, and it's now a UN mission?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X