Spike Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike Island

A news report just out says that Spike is to be haned to Cork Co Co to develope a tourist attraction.

Any members wanting to go on a trip down memory land???
    I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
    Who is number 1?

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post
    A news report just out says that Spike is to be haned to Cork Co Co to develope a tourist attraction.

Well let's hope they make a better tourist attraction than they did with Fort Camden.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    Originally posted by hedgehog
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by The Prisoner View Post

It would be interesting to see if they could do something with it
      I think that Cobh could do with the income if it did become a tourist attraction or would they build a bridge to it

I remember my first day there , it was Monday 31st of October 1981.
      There was a fog down in the harbour & as I walked throught the gates of Spike I thought to myself " What the f**k have you let yourself into "
      Having said that wouldn`t mind having a look around it again
      What do you mean abandon ship
      Are they taking requests?

Comment

I joined the FCA in the 70's. I remember people saying at that time that it was used as a military prison and also that the NS had a base there.

Does anyone remember this? I would be interested to hear about the place.
        I'm not a number, I'm a free man.
        Who is number 1?

Comment

In the 80s it became a prison for youths, all the best of stuff was put into it (a lot better than the NS had) and the kids rioted. The army was called in to restore order (it was on an episode of Reeling in the Years).

Comment

Yes.I remember hearing that the vermin decided to give up rioting when they heard that the Army were tooling up for a spot of head-breaking.....
            regards
            GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
              Yes.I remember hearing that the vermin decided to give up rioting when they heard that the Army were tooling up for a spot of head-breaking.....
              regards
              GttC
              Am afraid it didn`t quiet happen like that
              Army in riot gear arrived on island marched up to main gate & were told to go away
              Then they had to march away again
              Rioters stayed on one of the roofs for a few days until they got tired & bored , bless em
              What do you mean abandon ship
              Are they taking requests?

Comment

Former prison to unlock its doors to tourists
                By Sean O’Riordan

Friday, June 18, 2010

A FORMER fort and prison on an island in Cork Harbour will shortly welcome its first tourists.

Spike Island is set to become a major tourist attraction, according to the Mayor of County Cork, Cllr Derry Canty.

He toured the island yesterday in advance of the Government officially handing over the island, on July 11, to Cork County Council.

Mr Canty said the council would shortly advertise for ferry operators willing to take tourists to the island and for people to provide guided walking tours once they are on it.

"It was fantastic to see the place. I know a lot of work is to be done on the island, but it is a brilliant facility and its history is fantastic," Cllr Canty said.

County manager Martin Riordan wants to turn the island, which once possessed a prison, into a major tourist attraction.

He believes the whole of Cork harbour can be utilised as a tourist magnet, bringing in much needed foreign revenue.

The council has already undertaken a general clean up of the 104-acre island but Mr Canty admitted there was a lot of work to do before it will be considered a tourist mecca.

"This is at least a five to 10-year project and maybe even longer. It’s something we won’t be able to do tomorrow. This is a long-term objective because the council haven’t got that much money," he said.

The ferry operators and tour guides will provide services until September.

Meanwhile, a special working group set up by the county manager is working on providing attractions on the island which was turned into a fort by the British in 1779.

It was later used to house convicts before transportation and during the War of Independence IRA prisoners were held there.

Following the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the island remained as one of the Treaty Ports, and was only handed back to the Free State in 1938.

The Department of Justice-run prison closed in January 2004.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, June 18, 2010
                A FORMER fort and prison on an island in Cork Harbour will shortly welcome its first tourists.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

a lot of work has to be done before anyone steps on the island,i wonder who showed the people around and that mick martin was there who has campaigned hard to get this project off the ground..the tour guides should have a working/historical knowledge of the island,not read from a text book..

Comment

Last crew out of Spike after the hand over . Again!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Test Pilot; 29 July 2010, 18:08.

Comment

I thought it had been in the hands of the Prison Service , how come the Naval Service handed it over to Cork County Council .
                      Don't spit in my Bouillabaisse .

Comment

Originally posted by Laners View Post
                        I thought it had been in the hands of the Prison Service , how come the Naval Service handed it over to Cork County Council .
                        The Navy guys acted as the colour party for the raising of the flag for the handover to Cork County Council and for the handover of the original flag used when the Naval Service handed it over to the Prison Service. (A bit confusing I know).
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Test Pilot; 31 July 2010, 16:00.

Comment

Don't you just love given the likelyhood that the pair carrying out the ceremony probably weren't even born last time round while there are still some serving that served on Spike..the irony
                          Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                            Don't you just love given the likelyhood that the pair carrying out the ceremony probably weren't even born last time round while there are still some serving that served on Spike..the irony
                            yes murph that would have been the old ways/traditional . of thinking of getting the people who were there in the 80s to hoist the flag..if that is the flag that the officer has that they are claiming came from 1938 my name is idi amin!!! it is brand new...

Comment

oh yes the bottle of water and mobile phone is a real bummer to a perfect picture

Comment

Working...
                              X