No announcement yet.

Army Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I meant that his DF training didn't do his GAA career any harm, he joined the cadets in 1965 and....
    General Earley played Gaelic football for Roscommon for twenty years (1965 – 1985) and who is the holder of five Connaught Senior medals, 2 All Star Awards, 1 National League medal (1979), 1 U21 All Ireland Medal (1966) An All Ireland runners up Medal (1980) and 2 Railway Cup Medal

Comment

• It's another thing entirely to take on the Minister and Simple Serpents in Parkgate.
      I'd be interested in hearing about that, in another thread perhaps ?
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

• The short version is that D.S. threatened to resign if the white paper was not revised pre publication. That was stated publicly by D.S. on a number of the COS 'roadshows' he did.

Some years later the two candidates for COS where asked about how much of their soul they were willing to sell to get the job. The better man said nothing was for sale. The other offered up the 500 pers in fulltime training that D.S. had fought so hard to get. Guess who got the job?

Comment

• I remember the roadshow in CBB- he said it out straight

he also said he was said that the Dept dangled various positions on state boards post retirement

he was a good bloke and he got a spontaneous standing ovation from all gathered there

he said the purpose of the road shows was let the troops know that sometimes a line had to be drawn in the sand

he stressed that at no stage was he disobeying an order he was merely neogiating with civil servants
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• I'm biased but if there ever was a role model for an officer Dave Stapleton was it.

Even pre COS he dragged the S&T Corps out of the dark ages and created a benchmark that led to other missions by getting the Tpt Coy and ARW out to Somalia. A lot of the improvements in kit have their origins in his time as QMG.

IMO there hasn't been anyone even close since. Some potential there at the moment with one of the Maj Gens and two of the Brig Gens. Hopefully the right man gets it

Comment

• I have good time for Dermot Early- I think he is a good COS
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                The short version is that D.S. threatened to resign if the white paper was not revised pre publication. That was stated publicly by D.S. on a number of the COS 'roadshows' he did.

Some years later the two candidates for COS where asked about how much of their soul they were willing to sell to get the job. The better man said nothing was for sale. The other offered up the 500 pers in fulltime training that D.S. had fought so hard to get. Guess who got the job?
                On a related note I spotted this on the Beeb website today.
                Mod feel free to move if you see fit.

Polish army chief quits amid row
                By Adam Easton
                BBC News, Warsaw

File photo of Polish troops in Afghanistan
                Poland currently has some 2,000 troops serving in Afghanistan

The head of the Polish army has resigned after a dispute in which he accused the government of failing to properly equip troops in Afghanistan.

Lt Gen Waldemar Skrzypczak also said ministry officials' knowledge of war was limited to the movies.

He made his comments after the death of a Polish officer earlier this month in an ambush in Afghanistan.

Poland has 2,000 troops in the country as part of the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force.

The dispute involving Gen Skrzypczak became public following this month's battle between Polish troops and insurgents.

Four soldiers were wounded in the clash.

Initial inquiries found that the unit had not received prompt back-up owing to equipment shortages.

Gen Skrzypczak publicly accused the defence ministry of incompetence and failing to provide his troops with modern helicopters and other military hardware.

He resigned after the defence minister, Bogdan Klich, told a news conference that the general had admitted his criticisms were a mistake.

Gen Skrzypczak said he stood by his remarks.

He said his only mistake was to go public as the body of the dead officer was being flown home.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jessup View Post
                  The short version is that D.S. threatened to resign if the white paper was not revised pre publication. That was stated publicly by D.S. on a number of the COS 'roadshows' he did.

What is the DS?

Comment

• It isn't "The DS". Its D.S. He's a person.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• So I see we've got ourselves a nice new Major General.

Yet we could hardly get a Sergeant Major for the upcoming Kosovo trip because lads couldn't go over in acting rank. We've PNCO Courses being run with lads not being promoted at the end of it. We've lads coming off Standard Courses and not getting promoted. We've Company's with no CS'.

Between this and the Cadet Class, it's good to see who the DF looks after.

Comment

• You are suprised?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                          You are suprised?
                          Nope, just quite annoyed and feeling the need to rant.

Comment

• In case you missed it, the Gardai got 2 new Assistant Commissioners today too!!
                            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

• Whole Class of Potential NCOs passed out in Haulboline,vacancies but no promotions...
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• I'd just like to say a massive thanks to all posters on this thread. I'm up for interview in the next two weeks, and it has given me an awful lot to think about. Also, if any of oyu guys have any tips for the interviews, I, and i'm sure other members who are awaiting interview, would be eternally greatful.

Again, to all who have posted on this matter so far, go raibh míle maith agaibh ar fad.

is mise le meas,

Captain E.B
                                Last edited by Captain Edmund Blackadder; 27 July 2010, 15:09.
                                Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

Working...
                                X