Army Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northie View Post
    Hi Jessup, could you elaborate as to what kind of sports would be part of the syllabus? I'll give anything my best shot, however in school it was always athletics and outdoor pursuits I was into - sadly lacking in skills with games that involve balls. The "ethos" of the school I went to also meant that rugby was an unmentionable word, so I've little idea of that either. I have no hesitation about getting stuck in to anything new whether I'm good or bad at it but In the unlikely event of getting in, I have visions of being made an ejit of by a crowd of intercounty GAA players on a regular basis. Then again, I do come complete with some good mountain/backpacking experience to compensate....................
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't know if they still do but the Cadets used to have a football, hurling and rugby team that competed in some of the third level competitions but some guys found that as a pain as it fed into free time and exposed you to injury that could have a detrimental affect on your military training. I can't remember much of a soccer team although we used to do that most evenings ourselves in the senior year. The course is shorter now so the 'senior year' is only three months so I don't know if the 'left to your own devices' phase is even there anymore or if it is I imagine it's a lot shorter. You get commissioned instead!

Trust me, you're not going to loose out by not being an ex minor footballer or hurler. I was never any good at either and sometimes that would be picked as a soft option for sports on a Wednesday afternoon. What the staff were looking for is that you got stuck in, tried your best and got physical without loosing the rag altogether. It was a great way of giving some of your classmates a bit of a clatter which you need to to do when you're living in each others pockets in a pressure environment.

They is a slight preference towards those in team sports at interview, but it can be any sport. There are plenty of individualists who get in too; swimmers, boxers, cyclists, kayakers, sailors, orienteering etc.

There used to be two weeks adventure training in Tralee. Then there was 'tri angular tournament' with Clongowes and Newbridge College which had a lot of athletics and baseketball I think. Ironically it didn't involve rugby but I think that was on account of the physicality rather than the rugby skills of the Cadets.

In fact, when I think of our Cadet Captains and Mess Presidents (the best Cadets in the class) and those in the classes directly ahead and behind us there weren't too many 'jocks'. I can remember one orienteerer and another who was a sailor (as in dinghy) and another who wasn't really sporty at all.

You'll be grand. I thought the original question was about being able to keep up your outside sport when you're in the Cadets. There are a lot of GAA and Rugby types who think they can walk on water because they've been looked after in school etc and get a bit of a fright in the Curragh. Many are looked after post commissioning, but everyone is treated fairly equally in the Cadet School.

Comment

Originally posted by dahamster View Post
      Those two DS were mickeyheads to be fair.

The lady recruits were well able to bat their eyelashes as 3 stars as well.

Senior ncos were known to swoon at those lashes
      Yeah, but I saw one of them on a Std Cse in the Curragh before I left. Couldn't believe it! I had my own dealings with him a few times and always felt there was a real bully boy, violent streak to him. I certainly hope he was never let near recruits again!

Comment

Thanks for the replies Jessup and Dev.
        Sport is a huge part of my life, particularly Gaelic football and soccer.
        I understand that sacrifices have to be made and that in the (unlikely) event that I do get selected for a cadetship I'd like to now if I'l get my "fix" while I'm down there!
        As a recruit we were told that we would have "sport" once a week on a wednesday, this very rarely materialised unfortunatley

Comment

Sports parade was as regular as clockwork when I was there every Wednesday afternoon. Only exception were when on tactics. I was in the Curragh for a few weeks in 2006 and the Cadets were still doing it on Wednesday afternoon. Even with the 15 month course I can't imagine it not being an important explicit and implicit part of the course.

Comment

The booklet on the military.ie will tell you sports include:

Gaelic football
            Hurling
            Rugby
            Soccer
            Athletics (I know a guy (now a Lt I think that participated in athletics competitions as a cadet)
            Swimming (there is a pool in the Curragh)
            Basketball
            Equitation (probably only available to Equitation cadets)

The cadet school run as a block in the annual 10km An Cosantoir race, cadets can participate in DF competions.

Comment

Originally posted by ArdMhacha View Post
              Thanks for the replies Jessup and Dev.
              Sport is a huge part of my life, particularly Gaelic football and soccer.
              I understand that sacrifices have to be made and that in the (unlikely) event that I do get selected for a cadetship I'd like to now if I'l get my "fix" while I'm down there!
              As a recruit we were told that we would have "sport" once a week on a wednesday, this very rarely materialised unfortunatley

"Sport" on a Wednesday is PDF code for a half day at the taxpayers expense. For perhaps 10% it is a chance to improve their fitness. For the othe 90% its Sky Sports. Unless you count golf of course. Thats popular on a Wednesday all right.

Comment

"Sport" on a Wednesday is PDF code for a half day at the taxpayers expense. For perhaps 10% it is a chance to improve their fitness. For the othe 90% its Sky Sports. Unless you count golf of course. Thats popular on a Wednesday all right.
                Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Sluggie View Post
                  The Cdt Sch is the only unit that I served in that had Sports parade. It might only apply to 10% of the Army in that it is mostly prevalent at those on certain courses or when you have unit concentrations for various reasons.

However, the suggestion that the other 90% all take a half day is ridiculous and lets the side down. What about those on duty, those resting off, orderly rooms, workshops, those o/seas, those on courses etc. etc.

The Curragh was particularly bad but that has even changing before I left. People are just too busy now with people double and treble jobbing etc.

Comment

Our unit has ORT(organised recreational training) every wednesday without fail instead of PT. Usually its just a game of ball.

I prefer that to a run or a route march.
                    To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Our unit has ORT(organised recreational training) every wednesday without fail instead of PT.
                      2nd Batt was great on wednesdays, those who didnt want a game of ball could go to the gym, or just run. It was just during training that sports sessions were few and far between, though when we did get them they were great for blowing off steam.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.
                        Ring any of the 2 Bn offices on a Wednesday and you'll get an answer, guaranteed.

Comment

What, after 1330 ?

Comment

What, after 1330 ?
                            There is always someone in the HQ

care to call in some Wed afternoon
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Do you know I actually tried that once back when I was a little more idealistic [ I.e. hadn't the rougher edges off ] Boy did my learning curve have an uptick that day.

Comment

What, after 1330 ?
                                Yep.

Or pop in and you'll see just how many of us don't get halfers on a Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                                X