Army Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
    Do you know I actually tried that once back when I was a little more idealistic [ I.e. hadn't the rougher edges off ] Boy did my learning curve have an uptick that day.
    did you know what was on that day

maybe the whole Bn was on one of our frequent GOH's

maybe we were on an exercise- maybe the whole lot of us were in the Airport or Baldonnel

or somewhere else- I think the fault lies with the COS in that he didnt inform you

of the movements of all Infantry Battalions that day.

If you were looking to see someone had you at least made an appointment or

do you still beelive that we are at your beck and call
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

No. I called into see someone. [ This is a few years ago, perhaps 2002 or 2003 ]. I'd been in to see them the previous day and they said call in again soon to finalize something. So I did, made the mistake of coming in on a Wed. afternoon. Perhaps it's changed.
      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

A friend of mine was on the interview board for a recruit intake in the DFTC a few years ago. There was one candidate who on paper ticked all the boxes and his interview was going pretty well until the following happened.

Interviewer: So Mr. Bloggs, why do you want to join the army?
        Candidate: Jesus, with half days every wednesday and friday, who WOULDN'T want to join?

Needless to say, huge X next to that guys name.

The wednesdays half day's are a thing of the past in almost every unit now. Units are just too busy nowadays for that kind of thing to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Tango_Charlie View Post
          Interviewer: So Mr. Bloggs, why do you want to join the army?
          Candidate: Jesus, with half days every wednesday and friday, who WOULDN'T want to join?
          I' d say that went down like a lead balloon !!!
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
            Yep, try and get anyone in the PDF on the phone from the real world on a Wednesday. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't sad.
            I resent that comment.

Comment

If you play football you will get regular passes to attend matches and training.

Comment

A sweeping generalisation if there ever was one. For any prospective Cadet looking at this thread for info you're better to aim off that you may have to put your outside sport on hold for the 15 months. If you end up getting facilitated consider it a bonus but not an entitlement. If you're doing a tactical phase then that's it, no matter how important the match on how long it has been since the club were in the county final Can you imagine the farce. Well Cadet X didn't do the Fibua phase because he was playing corner back that day but he's still a fully qualified Pln Comdr ready to go overseas

There's a famous story about a Cadet in the early 90s who was needed for a relegation match for his rugby club in Limerick. Any IMOers in CBB would know him. Not exactly a shrinking violet I think the only unit he ever served in bar o/seas was the 2 Cav but he's left now too. Anyway, it was during a normal phase in the Cdt Sch and the program doesn't finish until 1230 on Sat. Match was at 1400 and the Cdt Sch wouldn't let him off early.

His club applied to Curragh Ops for permission to land a helicopter in McDonagh so he could make it on time. Curragh Ops called the clubs bluff by asking for the call sign of the chopper which was duly provided so sense prevailed and he was let off early. No chance of course the DS's in the Cdt Sch took it out on him later. :wink:

That comment about football might be a flippant remark based on the current COS but there are many anti GAA officers in the DF too as they perceive the GAA guys as getting special treatment. You could be lucky but if the Cdt Sch class officer or OC Cdt Sch or OC Mil Col has a chip on his shoulder about the GAA then your only 'club' in their mind is - Cdt Sch, followed by the DFTC followed by Defence Forces. That might be the only matches and training you'll be involved in until you're finished the Cadetship.

Comment

If its the lad I am thinking about he was in 2 BTC as well

for a short while

is he a civvy now

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
                    Hi Jessup, could you elaborate as to what kind of sports would be part of the syllabus? I'll give anything my best shot, however in school it was always athletics and outdoor pursuits I was into - sadly lacking in skills with games that involve balls. The "ethos" of the school I went to also meant that rugby was an unmentionable word, so I've little idea of that either. I have no hesitation about getting stuck in to anything new whether I'm good or bad at it but In the unlikely event of getting in, I have visions of being made an ejit of by a crowd of intercounty GAA players on a regular basis. Then again, I do come complete with some good mountain/backpacking experience to compensate....................

Thanks in advance.
                    If you don't mind me adding to whay Jessop said. Sport is a plus - any code or kind - if you can tie it into "leadership " at the interview. My interest in the cadets played rugby and used that as an example of his leadership. Funnily enough, he'd a really hard (brutal ) game against a certain school, which he won. At his inteview he quoted it as an example of how he led his troops to victory against the odds(bigger school ). A commandant on the interview board remarked drily that he's seen said match as his son was one of the casualties !
                    Didn't do his interview a bit of harm though. And sport during the 15 months is now nothing more than soccer on Wed. Once in, doesn't matter a bit. Ability to run distances is a big plus with some of the commandant training officers though.

Comment

• That's the very man, you're right he was. A Pots Cse I think. God love them! He's a howl socially but not sure that he would be the easiest to work with/for.

In the context of the question I was answering a few posts back about a "sports star" being looked after in the Cdt Sch this guy was being picked for Ireland under 21s and Ireland A as a Cadet and he didn't get it all his own way. So compare that to a guy looking to get off for a club or a crap GAA county and there are no guarantees.

Comment

• whats he working at

I know what his saturday morning job is

but whats he doing full time

Comment

• I think he 'invested' well over the years. There's Setanta and the Irish Times and I heard he set up a business in Limerick. Sounds like a mad time to be doing that but in his case I'm sure it will be a success.

Comment

• he wasnt the worst

I wish him well

if things dont go well on the job front

he can always hire the back of his head out as a squash court wall

Comment

• True, he was known to do the odd push up in this time!

Comment

• I presume the Cadet School is looking for commitment and hours are not 9-5, Monday-Friday .... cadets should give there all to the Cadet School for the 15 months, anything else is a luxury.

Comment

Working...
                                X